Mountain Lion Encounter

RangerDanger

This occured at Henninger Flats, a facility above Santa Anita Canyon (maybe Eaton Canyon) up in the San Gabriels (Angeles Nat'l Forest).
There is a tree farm, fire fighting equip, 2 nature centers and 2 campgrounds.
One of the best aspects about the campgrounds--free firewood!
It's about a 3 or 4 mile each way hike, somewhat stenuous in parts, but worth it imo.

I was a docent at the nature centers. One evening I was camped and was the only person at the campgrounds (mid-week, in the winter).
I took an evening stroll between the 2 campgrounds, sperated by about a few hundred yards.
It was foggy and around dusk. I was walking up the trail, rounded a bend and suddenly found my self face-to-face with a mountain lion!
We were about 30' apart when we first saw each other.
We both froze for a few seconds, then the mountain lion turned around and took off at full-speed.
It's rare to have such a close encounter. Usually the lion can smell/hear you before you see it and will take off. But fog cut down on smell and hearing.

In my job as a campground host I was asked often about the dangerous animals in the woods.
Rattlesnakes? Make a lot of noise and the rattlesnakes will flee. The only coil up/attack when they feel their life's in danger.
Bears? Also terrified of humans.
Mountain lions, bobcats, etc.--same thing.
Is there an animal to fear in the woods?
Absolutely.
People.
Animals attack only when they feel threatened. They prefer to flee asap.
People however have been know to harrass/attack for no reason except that they can.
Luckily, the further into the woods a person hikes, the less chance they have of encountering a person with evil intent. The scum usually prefer NOT to walk very far. 99.9% of the people you encounter deep in the woods are cool. It's the .1% that are the problem.
For that reason I always recommend that women NEVER hike alone. Not even in 2's, unless they can run fast, know self-defense, and/or have a deterrent of some sort, like pepper spray.

But the dangers to life and limb are much higher on the streets of any city.

In 35 years of backpacking I have only encountered true scum a few times, and never had a truely bad experience with them. But the advantages of backpacking far outweigh the negative aspects.
Fresh air, excersize, peace and serenity are a few of the benefits.
Lazing in a hammock pitched between 2 tall tree's, the bonding with people of like interests, fishing, and the simple pleasure of getting high around a campfire.
Don't worry about the wild animals. I've had more bad experiences with mosquito's and gnats than with wild animals.

I had a similar thing happen to me with a black bear. I was walking this old laogging road and rounded this corner and there it was, just doing it's thing. It finally noticed me and took off like a shot. Your question in a post from you a while back...does a bear shit in the woods? Yes they do. LOL and I almost did too...down both legs.

Besides rock concerts and Laserium, I have never found such acceptance of pot smoking as in the woods.
Most backpackers are either fellow tokers or are accepting of pot. Even if they don't smoke they don't mind if you do.
The exception to this rule are the fucking boy scouts.
Most of the ones I've come across are fucking little proto-Nazi's.

True Story:
My friend had a small grow in a side canyon, up the side of a hill. He went out to water one day and they were all destroyed. Hacked down and ground into the dirt. They had been just a few weeks shy of harvesting.
He could tell from the footprints and the fact that a group of people had camped nearby and left a dozen little milk cartons behind (along with other trash) that it had been boy scouts.
6 or 7 years later I saw some mid-teens guys hiking around and they stopped by my campfire to chat.
They tell me that 6 or 7 years earlier they had been boy scouts and had found the pot garden and they were totally into DARE at the time and had destroyed the plants.
I say "So you came back looking for more pot to destroy?".
"Fuck no" says 1 of the kids "we came here to jack some plants."
So that was their mind-set--either destroy them or steal them.
He continued "know where we can find any?"
What a maroon.
I proceeded to tell them of a place that was an extrordanarily difficult hike where there wasn't any pot and to my knowledge had never been any, in a canyon choked with poison oak and stinging nettles.
"There's a whole field up it on the mountaintop I seen it with my own eyes" I tell them and off they went.
It didn't get my friends weed back but I hope it discouraged them from looking.

My Dad and his best friend were hunting a few years back. My Dad's friend Leonard had a Bobcat sneek up on him. He had his 45 on em though, needless to say that Bobcat is in our big freezer to this day.

I was a cub scout. But even back then I was a rebel. Eventually I got kicked out. I'm very proud of that. I remember once they hung me from a clothes line, I forget what the offence was.

cub.png

I've spent alota time in the sierras near yosemite and in yosemite and never seen a lion, but i'm sure i've been seen by them. I've heard them, chills the blood. I've also had several bear encounters. Usually they took off running, amazingly fast too. But once I was driving down a back road about 3 a.m. and there was a huge old black bear sitting in the middle of the road. He just sat there looking at me. So we sat there for about 5 min looking at each other and eventually he lazily got up and walked off. Once in yosemite valley near bridlevail falls i walked up on a pretty good sized coyote. Like the bear, instead of running he just sat there about 20 feet away. So I slowly sat down and we just looked at each other. This went on for a long time. Eventually I got tired of sitting there and I left. Also lots of deer encounters. As a kid I ran all over the mojave desert in Palmdale cal. playing with my friends. Never saw a rattler but they had to be all over the place. One of my best encounters was with a redtail hawk. It was here in mo. in my backyard. It had an injured wing. It was winter. For several days it hung around. I feed it venison, fish and gave it water. It let me get very close to it. Its amazing looking into the eyes of something so wild. After a few days the bird was just gone.

redtail.png

Scarecrow said:
My Dad and his best friend were hunting a few years back. My Dad's friend Leonard had a Bobcat sneek up on him. He had his 45 on em though, needless to say that Bobcat is in our big freezer to this day.

Hi Scarecrow.
Bobcats don't attack people unless
-They're cornered
or
-Their protecting their young.
They're about as dangerous as a house cat.
The bobcat might have been after your Dad's friends food, but it's unlikely it would have come into camp when people were there because bobcats, like most wild animals, are terrified of people.

But what I'm wondering is--
why in the world did you put a bobcat in your freezer? Good Ganja are you planning to eat it?
Eeeeewwwww.

I live about 6 miles out into the country and near a creek and a county dump. I never smell the dump but the trash trucks are always going by. Anyway...I guess my 4.5 acre property is the local highway for just about every wild animal around. I've seen bobcats, coyotes, wolves, deer, and I've seen bear tracks as well. All within rock throwing distance. Beautiful sites. All of them! One reason I like my property. The other is a unobstructed view of both Mount Lassen and Mount Shasta.

Back
Top Bottom