Multliple QB's to One Driver Help

Cornercat

Hello, I have four HLG 65 v2's that I want to connect in parallel to one driver. I was thinking of soldering a 4 to 1 pigtail, but I've never soldered before and realized it's a little more daunting than a 1 to 1 connection. Is a pigtail the right route? I'm a little concerned that the power wouldn't be split evenly across the boards if there's an inconsistency with the solder connection. I'm also worried if one of the boards disconnects from the parallel, would the remaining boards pickup the available amperage? They're not meant to exceed 2500ma without a heatsink, and I'd like to run all four off a 4 amp power supply so they only run at 1 amp each. I'm trying to figure out what would happen in the scenario that three of the boards get unplugged while the power supply is still on, would the remaining board's tail jump to 4 amps? Or does each tail always receive only 25% of the total amps once soldered?
Thank you!

That's only going to work out to about 20 watts per board, isn't it? Is this just for experimentation purposes?

Might want to email the folks at HLG. Last I read, they were both knowledgable and helpful. and may be able to offer useful suggestions. I was browsing the website last year and saw a page with some diagrams for various wiring setups (parallel, series, parallel + series in a 2x2 configuration). None of the diagrams showed any kind of requirement to solder four wires together. I don't want to annoy the owner of the forum by posting a live link to the company that sells the actual Quantum Board stuff when there are forum advertisers who sell knockoffs/copies. So do a web-search for:
Code:
"QB120 V2 Board Guide"

...with the quotation marks, and you'll see what I mean. The website has other guides, general tips, component recommendations, how to avoid thermal runaway in parallel wired boards, videos of molex connectors / WAGO connectors / several other things / et cetera. It also has contact information, a general FAQ page, a blog section with more information, and more.

Plus... If one of us (or some random YouTube video uploader) tells you to do something stupid, lol, and it burns up your boards - or your house - well, you'd be what they used to call "shit out of luck." On the other hand, if the manufacturer of the things does the same thing (and you save the email as proof), one assumes that he'd be on the hook for replacement. And maybe even replacement of other things, if you were to get bad advice that caused a fire and your homeowner's insurance agent denied the claim because it was something you did, IDK. Far more likely, though, he'd give you the correct advice and Bob's your uncle (as they also used to say).

Yea probably about 80 watts total for the four. Not for an experiment tho, its for vegging. Aiming for a 300-800 ppfd canopy 12-16" deep. Here's one HLG 65 v2 drawing just 3w, 50-150 ppfd

I was able to make this work with the 4 to 1 pigtail. I have two sets of four boards connected to 100w drivers and both drivers on the same dimmer switch. Super slick low-profile, high-efficiency multi-tier veg lighting system.

Back
Top Bottom