LED driver wattage

JoeHawkins

420 Member
I found myself in the situation to build my first LED light fixture. I figured which boards I want and so and so forth.
And here is my issue where I’m stuck in the planning. The general understanding is that efficiency of leds goes up when run soft. Does that count for drivers too? I looked at the efficiency curves of the three drivers I’m looking at and found them to run the most efficient when run at roughly 75%. Since I have an issue with ventilation (meaning I need light as cool running as possible) does this efficiency mean that the driver also stays the coolest?
Here’s the breakdown :
4 boards which run at 320 watt each. I will run them at 160 each which will give me 40 watts per sq/f in my tent.
I can run each board with a 185h or a 240h driver. Or I make two sets of two boards with a360h per set. Or I can get a 600h and run all 4 off of that.

In the experienced diy‘ers opinion, which would be the most efficient setup? I understand the efficiency and practicality don’t always go hand in hand and tend to lean towards the 185h (for both reasons)

But what do you folks think?

Why not locate the drivers outside the grow room like I do? At the voltages the drivers send to the panel the 10 feet or so of wire introduces almost no losses at all. Drivers will always get warm and that heat does add up. Remove them from the room and you dont have to worry about it.

Go with the 240h drivers. I suggest this not only for the increased efficiency at your w/sq ft, but for the future as well. You'll be able to drive your boards at full power when you expand. You can also mount the drivers outside of your tent to keep the heat out.

What boards?

Serial or parallel?

A or B type drivers?

The general understanding is that efficiency of leds goes up when run soft. Does that count for drivers too?

No, it's the opposite, when you dim a driver it will lose efficiency.
However, the +150h MW HLG drivers stay above 90% efficiency when dimmed down to ~40% of max.

@fanleaf I thought about that and might just do that.

@Old Salt you bring up some valid points there.

@PurpleGunRack I‘ve decided to go with the Fotop 800 boards. I know they are questionable in a way but I want to try them.
If I go with 2 drivers I would hook two boards in parallel and with 4 drivers at 4 boards it’s obvious lol

As to A or B drivers... I’ve not decided that. Want to steer me in the right direction?

There are numerous posts in this site by folks who have bought the minimum required item, only to find it didn't do what they wanted. LED drivers is one of those items. They may have expanded their grow, or just wanted more light, and the driver was not powerful enough.

@Old Salt I totally understand what you mean. I’ve done that too and luckily it worked out ok. I only grow in a 4x4, which has enough room for what I need and extra. So, expanding isn’t in my books. Good point tho :)

Go four QB96s, each on individual hlg-240h-54A drivers. for a 4x4
I have a 3x3x7'11 and I am going to build three 96s, each on individual hlg-240h-54A drivers or maybe on just 1 hlg-480h-54a.

Same diodes as the Fotop board I’m getting. I didn’t really needed help picking a light, but a component ;)

Back
Top Bottom