My autoflowering plants won't grow right

TheAnyKey

Hi,

I've planted the seeds on Mai 22. According to the shop they need around 70 days to fully grow. So far they are slowly gaining in height but the stems are very thin and seem barely able to support the weight of the plant.

Here is a short video, I don't have a photo camera at the moment.

Hey TAK! Ok first off let's identify the problem. The plants either are too far from the light source or the light source isn't strong enough.
You can tell from the lean of the plants that they are looking for it stretching. Now the fix. I would transplant the young plants ( don't worry about the fact that they are auto flowers it's not going to hurt) Now when you transplant them plant them in a slightly larger/ deeper container. Plant them right up to the cotyledons. Those are those two little puppy ear looking leafs that are lowest on the stem. I would like to know what light source you are using, but a little natural sunlight would help these youngsters out immensely! Even just a few hours a day would help. Also, make sure they are getting at least some dark time I like to run 18- 6.

Lastly don't get too tied up in breeder's "Days to Harvest". Remember these are n't Hybrid seeds in the true sense of the word. They are usually f2 or more crosses but you are going to run into a substantial number of variations between plants. Best of luck in all you grow!!

No artificial light source. They are next to the window. I was thinking maybe I gave them too much water. The pots have holes in the bottom, so at least a vast excess of water can drain. Also, during the day it can get very warm in here. Approx 90-100°F (30-38C). These are my first seeds, so I went for autoflowering. I thought they are easier to grow and less particular about conditions like temperature, lighting, amount of water, air circulation etc..

Just after I started this thread, one of the stems cracked. I dug the hole a little deeper, so the bent part would be supported by the soil. Also I put more soil in all the pots, so most of the stems is now covered by soil.

Hey Anykey,

When uptheholler2 above said, "Let's identify the problem", maybe you didn't get his point: your seedlings are going to die because you don't have them under a strong enough light source. That's why they are stretching like spaghetti and breaking. They cannot live like that. Until you change that situation nothing will help you. What you have going on isn't just a little lack of light; it's a major life-threatening problem for your plants. You can keep going with these seedlings if you want but without strong, direct sunlight for 6-12 hours a day or a good artificial light source your seedlings are doomed. There's plenty of info and extra help available here at 420 and you don't need a perfect setup at all...I make lots of mistakes, but good soil, good light, and good basic care makes up for a great deal of inexperience.

I really wish you luck though. If you can fix your lights up it might not be too late by following uptheholler's advice about planting your seedlings neck deep in some soil. Forget about the beanpole ones, throw them out and re-plant your littlest seedlings in soil almost up to their 1st leaves.

Hey TAK! 90 - 100 is way too high they will get leggy on you quick at that temp. The broken stem may still make it. I am growing out a Berry Ryder that I snapped the stem off of on purpose because I am trying to find out what kind of transplanting stress you can put them unper. SHe is running about 2 weeks behind the control but she's going to make. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom