Planning my 2nd grow - Lights question

simplyme

Hey all,

I am currently about 40 days into my first grow (one autoflower) and considering the experience gained I am planning ahead for my second grow. I would like to grow two autoflowers in my closet. At the moment I have a 150w CFL dual light (6400+2700K) with an aluminum reflector above. Do you think I need an additional light source on the side of my plants to get better light penetration in the lower area of the plants? I was considering something like 16w LED grow light, or something else "ready to use", what would you recommend?
It will be definitely sativa, but not yet decided which strain. Grow space: 50x75cm area and ~1m in height

Greetz,
simplyme

Thx Am4zin, it's an awesome place with nice people and full of information, can't wait to apply it all!!
I was kind of expecting that answer, but there is a little issue here for me. I am not big on the DIY part (I bought my 150w bulb in a lighting kit with reflector and everything attached already). So what do you think of a small (around 20w) LED grow panel which I could put near my two plants and the big CFL bulb above them? Or would it be cheaper/more efficient to buy two say 25w CFL bulbs plus the needed things to install? I would need some form of flexible lamp holder though.

Greetz,
simplyme

Leds need to be at a distance of about 12-18 inches for best spectrum, but I suppose light is light. If your walls are reflective you could just let the cfl's hang down for good side lighting.
Have you had a look at mars hydro led units? They are a sponsor here and do cheap but top quality led units. I pain 125 English pounds for a marsll 400w.

Well, at the moment I am trying to be very cost efficient due to the fact that I am a university student but also because I want to fully comprehend the growing basics (i.e. completing at least 5 grows) first before I "expand my operation". Thinking about it and after doing some research I came up with two options:
Firstly, do you think working with just my CFL bulb and white painted walls might be enough to bring two autos to harvest in terms of space under the light?
I could invest in 2 smaller CFL bulbs (20-30w), considering that my big CFL bulb is dual spectrum, which light spectrum would you
recommend for the smaller ones?

Greetz,
simplyme

Greetings Simplyme. If you're interested in growing a sativa remember to keep it low and trained. With your limited height it could get crowded. A sativa may stretch as much as 3 times the initial size. Be sure to invite me when you start your journal please.

Back
Top Bottom