Noob w/ light, space and misc question

DrZeuss

I've got a bunch of questions but I will go easy for my first post..many thanks in advance, have learned so much from this site already.

I have grown tomatoes and garden veggies in the backyard for years, but this is my first foray with anything indoors so I will still consider myself a "total noob." Grow area is mylar covered 4ft width x 2 ft deep x 5 ft height. I will be growing from seed. This is my first foray, so I wanted to start with smaller with four plants that I plan to keep pretty tight/close to maximize lighting.

Here is my main question, which of course is going to have multiple parts :). Planned lighting will be two 180w blackstars (the flower models). These lights cover 6 bands but are mostly the red 630 and 660nm (hence the flower model). Can I use these for the seedling and veg stages, or should I get something else that covers more blue for the early stages? I was thinking of getting a pair of 2ft x 4bulb 24w T5s with the 6400k bulbs to use for vegging, then turn on the blackstars and change the T5 bulbs to 3000k for supplemental side/lower lighting during the flowering stage.

What are your thoughts on using the blackstars start to finish? Do I need the t5s for vegging? Is any of this a good or bad idea? This /should/ be enough light for a noob's first grow, right?

Secondary question that's bugging me..my initial plans may be blasted because the seeds I planned on starting consist of both regular photoperiod and also autoflower strains. Obviously I would want to keep the lights going once the autos start flowering, but would I hurt anything other than potential yield if I grew these together and cycled the autoflower's light along with the regulars once the other two start flowering and need their rest?

One more thanks in advance.
V/r,
DrZ

Back
Top Bottom