My Grow Room!

Dlaw90

This will be my first grow. I'm curious what you think of the room. As of right now it will be almost 4ft x 4ft. One side is about 3 and 3/4. Ill include a picture as well. I plan on just buying a 400w light from amazon. Beside the main room is where i have a couple plants in veg. Does this room see like it will hold up well. Im pretty positive temp wont be a problem. Could oxygen be a problem? Also could someone help me with nutes. I know nothing about them. Thanks alot

It looks like enough space for a descent grow. How are you going to run ventilation? From the pic i can't tell what the situation is. Is it part of a larger room?

It looks like enough space for a descent grow. How are you going to run ventilation? From the pic i can't tell what the situation is. Is it part of a larger room?

Sorry the pic isn't complete yet. Im still going to enclose the front with a door. I plan on running a cool tube through the front around where the door will be. On the left wall I also have made it so I can cut squares in it. Possibly to mount a in and out fan? Does this seem to be enough.

Well the room isn't really big so a fairly small exhaust fan should do. There's a lot of opinions about how much air should be moved in "x" amount of time. The volume of air (room size in cubic feet) needs to be replaced by fresh air every five minutes for Co2 needs but as for the temperature part of it, the room's volume of air needs to be replaced every 1-3 minutes. I've heard some say as much as the volume of air needs to be replaced THREE TIMES PER MINUTE!!! I find that i bit much and it maybe true if you had extreme heat issues. I would opt for a fan that has double the power you need and put a speed controller on it to give yourself the option of cutting down the power if its not needed. I think you have a good setup with lots of potential going on there brother! Its a trial and error thing sometimes. Just make sure that you don't commit to a setup where you can't adjust the settings. Meaning, don't get a fan that's barely going to be sufficient for air flow. Honestly though, i think you've got it a good setup and it should work fine, especially with a 400watt light.

Thank you very much. Any idea if a cooled tube would probably be enough? Any benefit to creating your own co2 setup? Also could someone point me in the right direction to nutes?

Its hard to say if it would be enough or not. It depends on a few things. Ambient temperatures being a big one. If the room is already at low temps then it very well could do fine along with a common house fan to move the air around to prevent mold and such. I have yet to do a measurable/controlled setup with Co2 but from all the research i have done, its supposed to be outstanding results. I was just dropping dry ice in a cup or water a couple testing a week to give them a shot of the good stuff but that can be a slippery slope. If you over do the parts per million, it can have an adverse effect on the plants. Im going to get a meter and do it right my next go around. But im confused myself as to how important going to keep the ppm at near 1800 when my fan is cracking out so much air per minute. One benefit to using Co2, other than its growth benefits, is that the use of Co2 requires a little more heat for the plant to use it which in turn allows for higher temps in the room. Now this doesn't mean that 150degrees is okay. But you can go above the regular 75-85 range and get a little more forgiveness out of your setup if needed. As to howmuch, im not sure right off hand. You should ask this in another thread and get an experienced opinion. As to nutes, there are many options depending on many things. I would also start another thread on this question. You're sure to get some good feed back. Also, Google it! There are oceans of free online info about nutrition. Ratios, amounts, timing, etc...

So after going to every nook and cranny as to where I live searching for soil, I have two options. I can get mg potting soil or scotts premium potting soil with moisture advantage. I went ahead and picked up the scotts. Could someone lead me in the correct direction as to what to add to this soil to make it viable. By far my most feared aspect of doing this is soil and how to use nutes. Help is much appreciated and after my babies germinate I will be creating a log!

If you're using soil, make sure its sterilized!! I've had friends and read many similar accounts of non-sterilized soil holding little critters like spider-mites and got contaminated quickly. As for nutes, i want to say first off that this is what i know and if its information you already know, forgive me but im not aware of what you already know. Understanding the nutes ratios is the first step. 10-10-10 is the same nutrition ratio as 20-20-20, the amounts have just been doubled, understand? So with 10-10-10 you would apply twice as much fertilizer to get the same amount of nutrition you would with 20-20-20. A good ratio for vegetation stage is 2-1-3 (or 20-10-30 get it?... Because the ratio is the same) and a good ratio for flowering is 3-2-1(or 30-20-10 because, again, the ratio is the same). Now these ratios are simply cookie cutter ratios to start off with and a good rule is to give only half the dosage that is recommended on the product you're using. Having a journal or log is a great thing to do. With it you can keep up with what's working, what's not, what was too much and what may have been too little. Then there's always the organic or synthetic nutrition question and i say THE PLANTS DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. Although, many veteran growers and newbies alike would argue this statement one way or another. I use fox farm and its did me justice so far, indoor and outdoor. Much of my experience is from outdoor and that's a whole different beast really. Since the plants are in the ground, you don't have to worry near as much about nutrition build-up because the next watering just pushes the excess down further into the ground (and probably down to the roots that are hella deep!

Oh! I forgot to say.... DRAINAGE! Its another mistake i made. Outdoor it isn't as much of an issue but in pots it is. Make sure and use plenty of perlite or something similar. I don't have a formula for that but its easy enough to gauge. It helps against root opt and helps the growth by providing oxygen to the roots as well.

Oh! I forgot to say.... DRAINAGE! Its another mistake i made. Outdoor it isn't as much of an issue but in pots it is. Make sure and use plenty of perlite or something similar. I don't have a formula for that but its easy enough to gauge. It helps against root opt and helps the growth by providing oxygen to the roots as well.

Should i buy fox farm nutes to add to my scotts farm potting soil. I plan on just using scotts 30% perlite and fox farms? Should i start nutes soon or later?

Are you starting from seed? If so, you don't want to fertilize them until they're at least 2-3 inches tall. The soil has enough nutes to give them what they need. Just add petite to whatever soil you already have. It'll work fine. The difference between one soil and the next isnt much (with exception of its petite content and if its sterilized or not.)

Just to let you know Scotts soil suck. It water logs to easy and your plants will suffer from it. I wouldve went with MG Organic soil. Its really good stuff and I use it mixed with coco coir. Picking up where Elious left off if your growing from seed Scotts soil will really suck for your plants. It doesnt feed well or long enough. Elious has given you great info so far. :thumbs:

Just to let you know Scotts soil suck. It water logs to easy and your plants will suffer from it. I wouldve went with MG Organic soil. Its really good stuff and I use it mixed with coco coir. Picking up where Elious left off if your growing from seed Scotts soil will really suck for your plants. It doesnt feed well or long enough. Elious has given you great info so far. :thumbs:

Unfortunately I do not have resources to get good soil. So start using fox farms nutes about 1 month in? Also another problem I have is the heat without the light on. With the lights on the room is at perfect temp with no heater. When the lights go out though the room will get too cold. my flower room with nothing in it right now is 60 degrees. 75 for my veg area with the light on. When I turn on the heater to raise the overall temp for the flower room, my veg area easily gets 90+

The same place that you purchased the scotts didnt have MG soil? Thats weird. But yea try to buy some chunky perlite then. And do 50/50. About the FF nutes, I'd say with scotts soil start using nutes 3 weeks in. Or buy some Bone meal and mix that with the soil so that will for sure feed your plants. With the room temps at night is it below 50? If not then dont worry about it and if it is, I would say turn the heater down to the lowest. Or maybe even go as far as buying a green fog light and putting that in the grow room during night time. Plants wont be bothered by it but the heat the light produces should keep the temps up a bit.

so the plants don't have to stay 70+ without the lights on? The room never gets below 50. They had mg but not organic. Thanks alot for the help guys. I mixed my scotts with about 30% peralite. Ill add more to them tonight. Would just adding a nice coat to the top be ok? Or should I wait for the plant to grow a little. Thanks alot for all the advice.

I understood that the stabilized in the 3% H2O2 were bad. Is that true?

There no hydrogen porxyd that is stable. I use 3% all the time since its hard to find 32% food grade. Everyday I add 10ml per gallon to my Res. And my res stays clean clear and my roots are nice and white. I also use hydgrozyme with that also at 10ml per gallon. Look up hydrogen peroxyde if you want any good info on how to use it and what it does for your Res. That's what I did. I don't take everyone's info. I would rather look up the subject and go from there.

That's good info to know. Hey, I wanted to ask you... I got a notification on my user control panel (on this forum) it gives me kudos, mentions "17 points" and mentions you as well. It won't go away after i click on it. Can you tell what that's about? And thank you for the compliment, I've been researching and doing my best in this new aspect of growing. Its a lot more involved and in a lot of ways its a lot more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom