Nebraska: Medical Marijuana Bill Splits Bellevue Senators

Robert Celt

The Bellevue parents of an epileptic child are pushing one Bellevue state senator to support another in an attempt to pass a bill legalizing medical marijuana in Nebraska.

But State Sen. Sue Crawford remains opposed to a broad legalization of medical marijuana, preferring to limit her support to a medical study of a marijuana-based oil that has shown promise in battling epilepsy.

Bellevue State Sen. Tommy Garrett is the state's leading advocate of legalizing medical cannabis and has introduced LB 643 to accomplish that goal. Its broad reach would include CBD oil.

CBD oil, most famously known as "Charlotte's Oil" for its success treating a Colorado girl, is a cannabis-derived oil too low in THC to induce the highs associated with marijuana.

It has racked up a series of anecdotal successes around the country, and is now legal for the treatment of epilepsy in 23 states and the District of Columbia.

Last year, Crawford successfully ushered a bill through the Legislature which established a medical trial for the oil, to be overseen by the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

She said Monday that while the trial has not yet started it might begin this month.

Dominic and Shelley Gillen, whose 13-year-old son, Will, suffers from hundreds of uncontrolled seizures daily are persistent advocates for Garrett's bill.

Garrett has designated it his personal priority bill, thus improving the likelihood it will be debated on the floor of the Legislature.

The bill would legalize medical marijuana for ailments beyond epilepsy.

The preamble to LB 643 states that studies "continue to show the therapeutic value of cannabis in treating a wide array of debilitating medical conditions, including increasing the chances of patients finishing their treatments for HIV/AIDS and hepatitis C."

The Gillens and their supporters are not content with Crawford's medical trial. They argue the 25 participants in the study deprives many more of access to the oil, while Garrett's bill would provide immediate access to all.

Shelley Gillen said she was especially disappointed that Crawford spoke against LB 643 on the floor of the Legislature, despite assurances Gillen says she received that while Crawford would not support Garrett's bill, neither would she oppose it.

Gillen said approximately 1,100 people have signed a petition asking Crawford to back LB 643, 350 of whom live in her legislative district.

"I haven't talked to one person who, when they understand what's in the bill, opposes it," Gillen said.
"In fact most people say it's a no brainer. Why would anyone not support something that could be so beneficial to so many?"

Crawford says it's not that simple.

She said she wants the federal classification of CBD oil to change at the federal level, thus allowing Nebraska hospitals and physicians to prescribe it legally, should it prove effective.

Otherwise, she said, Nebraska law could find itself in conflict with federal law, putting physicians, patients and hospitals in legal jeopardy.

She said she has not actively opposed Garrett's bill, thus keeping her promise to the Gillens, but made one speech in the Legislature explaining her reasons for not supporting the bill, thus fulfilling her duty to explain her actions to her constituents.

"I spoke one turn to explain why I would not be able to vote for it," she said. "I think it's important for me, as a legislator, to explain my vote. I did not urge other senators to vote against it. I did not rise in opposition to it. I rose only to explain my vote given what I see as the best pathway forward."

Fighting a bill involves speaking frequently and strongly against it, asking tough questions, contacting the media and urging others to oppose it, she said, all things she has not done.

She also said she will not support any filibuster attempting to prevent the bill from coming to a vote.
"I just don't feel that it's a bill I can support myself," she said.

cannabis-oil2.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Nebraska: Medical Marijuana Bill Splits Bellevue Senators
Author: Eugene Curtin
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom