need a lil help

htownbulldog

420 Member
I'm on my first grow and I'm using a ebb flood drain system and coco tek as my medium, I got a digital pH meter today and realized my pH is really off and I stuck on what to do next do I need to flush my coco or can I just pH the next set of nutes to get everything in line?

Hi htownbulldog.

Welcome to :420:.

I'm a soil guy, so I'm not sure I'm the best person to help. However, I've read a lot about growing in coco as it really interests me and I think those better suited to address your question will probably want a little more info.

First, how "off" is your PH? If I'm not mistaken I think hydro growers are typically shooting for a PH in the 5.8 to low 6.'s range. Is that what your aiming for as well?

Did you wash the coco prior to it's first use? I've read coco growers say that they soak and rinse their coco prior to use to avoid just the PH issues you experiencing.

Since you just got your PH meter I'm assuming you have not tested the water in the reservoir prior to it circulating through the coco? Also curious if you know the PH of the water you use prior to adding nutes or cycling through the flood and drain routine?

Be well and happy growing. Again welcome to 420 Magazine!

Ps. Others with coco experience are on the way I'm sure!

Ok the pH in my res is currently 7.4. the range u mentioned is where I would like to get it. I tried to pH using the color chart but it didn't help smh. Now I'm going to start pHing my water to the 5.8 prior to adding my nutes or is it recommended that I try a different method.

I'd like to suggest, and request feedback from coco growers, that there might be benefit to testing it the water prior to adding nutes, again after adding the nutes and adjusting it's PH, and then again after a couple rounds of circulation. My thinking is this would help identify if the coco is altering the PH and avoid a similar problem down the road and identify if you do need a plain water flush.

I suggest doing so if possible. Most municipal tap water uses chlorine to treat pathogens and your plants roots can be damaged by long term exposure. If you can't allow it to sit for 24 hours, then I believe the chlorine will evaporate over the coming few days during the flood and drain cycles.

I also wanted to ask if its a must that tap water sits overnight before using to feed?

Back
Top Bottom