Need advice - looks like white mold on top layer of soil

Miseria

Howdy....

I have a few plants in week 4 of veg and just noticed a thin layer of what looks like white mold on the top soil of each plant. The RH in the room has been higher lately, hanging out around 75% (too high?)

Would love advice on how to treat and if this is a danger. I'm using Fox Farm Ocean floor, no extra nutes. Watering every 4 days or so. Been giving each plant 3/4 gal at each wattering (3 gal smart pots)

photo585.JPG

I would stop watering for a week or so until the soil dries out, you can tell when it is ready for more water when the pot is much lighter or the first inch or two is dry to the touch. That should lower the humidity and stop any mold from growing.

Do I need to do anything to kill or remove the mold that is there?

I would leave it alone for now and see how it reacts to letting the soil dry out. I'm expecting it to die off on its own and if conditions remain stable it should stay away. If it does grow after the soil has dried out then you would want apply something to remove the mold. I know that several of 420 Magazine's Sponsors sell a variety of products to combat issues like molds, pests, etc.

according to gardening sites, cinnamon sprinkled on top of the soil will kill it.

I've just had the same problem today, but I did remove the top 1/4" or so of soil before I did the cinnamon thing.

It might not be mold ?

Chemical/synthetic nutrients can leave trace salt resindue on surface of the soil/compost if the surface of pot drys out to quickly !

I know he/she is not using any nutrients at present but most compost come with some form of fertilizer added to them... & can leave similar salt traces as the above.

according to gardening sites, cinnamon sprinkled on top of the soil will kill it.

I've just had the same problem today, but I did remove the top 1/4" or so of soil before I did the cinnamon thing.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. That and letting it air out a bit.

Do I replace the soil with some fresh soil or just remove a bit off the top of the moldy stuff?

It might not be mold ?

Chemical/synthetic nutrients can leave trace salt resindue on surface of the soil/compost if the surface of pot drys out to quickly !

I know he/she is not using any nutrients at present but most compost come with some form of fertilizer added to them... & can leave similar salt traces as the above.

This is where I was going, I agree with Fuzzy. I asked about mychorizzae because I've seen it do this sometimes. It may be what Fuzzy said or possibly your beneficial fungus is thriving. Are you experiencing negative reactions from your plants?

This is where I was going, I agree with Fuzzy. I asked about mychorizzae because I've seen it do this sometimes. It may be what Fuzzy said or possibly your beneficial fungus is thriving. Are you experiencing negative reactions from your plants?

No, the plants are doing very well. Here is a pic from last night

IMG_084618.JPG

IMG_085021.JPG

I did sprinkle some cinnamon on a few of what I thought were the worst areas. (room smells really really good now...skunky cinnamon lol)

There's nothing to worry about if you have a living soil. I've seen it many times on the top of the soil due to fresh organic matter added (I like to toss some in), which gets consumed by funghi and bacteria. It's benign for your plant and is very beneficial for your nitrogen fixation.

Back
Top Bottom