Need help with clones - 1st timer

Honz

Hi 420 Folks! Even though this is may be a topic beat to death, I am still in need of help after reading many threads.

I am a 1st time grower and I took the Go Big or Go Home approach and built a 8x8 veg/flower room with an ajoining 3x8 clone/mother room. The clone/mother room has two 8 lamp T5HO fixtures that are about 24" above the dixie cups. Room AC is set to 70 but temps under the lights get to 80/81. I have circ fans in the main room, but none in the clone room. I know this will help drop the temps under the clone lights and I plan on putting one in very soon.

OK so I have transplanted 12 clones of True OG in rock wool cubes into Happy Frog soil. The pics below are about 54 hours after transplant. Pretty much all of the damage/stress you see was the condition I received them in.

After transplanting, they soil was lightly watered (misted) about 6-7 good squirts of RO water. This was done every 8-10 hours - it is very dry here in Vegas. You can see the humidity is only 25%. It was even lower but I have a cool mist humidifier going and a small towel draped over my water barrel to help add some moisture to the air - it really doesnt help that much. I need to order a BIG humidifier!

After not seeing much improvement in 24+ hours, I made the decision to water more that I was. Mainly because the soil top was pretty dry between waterings and i knew it would help raise humidity levels. So about 30 hours ago I watered about 1/2 a cup in each plant, then early this morning about 15 hours ago I watered another 1/2 cup again. I came home from work expecting to see some drastic improvement but instead their condition seems a bit worse.

Now I believe I have overwatered. The yellowing, curling leaves and burnt tips were all there when I received the clones. The Yellowing/browning has increased slightly, curling is about the same. I also just noticed this evening that some of the stems are not green - I didnt notice this before and think this is a new development.

Now I am kind of freaking out. WTF am I doing wrong!??? Overwatering?? Are they still stressed from the 8+ hour move??
One more thing - I did have the light just 8-10" above the plants but raised it up to 24" after worrying about heat.
I dont care what anyone says those T5HO fixtures do put of some heat. Not heat like HPS but still some heat nonetheless.

Anyway thats what I am dealing with and Im not sure what the heck is going on. I am hoping that the great 420 community can offer some advice.

IMG_49028.JPG

IMG_490112.JPG

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/IMG_49009.JPG

Here is a wide angle shot:
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/IMG_49037.JPG

First of all - don't worry, they'll be fine. Those clones are a long way from being dead yet. The one in the very upper left of the bunch looks a bit rough but most of the rest are pretty good.
I can't help you much re overall low humidity levels because my climate is extremely humid, I've never experienced such a thing as low humidity. But the way to figure out the right moisture level in the containers is to judge their weight. Just fill a cup with soil which is just barely moist- nice and spongy -never soaked and clumpy. Test the weight of that - and that's how much your planted containers should weigh. If you can keep them at that moisture level they'll be fine. You can dribble water in around the sides and/or dip the bottoms briefly to soak a little up from below. Don't soak them when they're little. You can do it later when they have a bigger root system and more foliage.
If you want to get technical you could weigh them on a scale, but really they're easy to judge by feel.
IMO testing the weight is the best way to time the watering of cannabis- even my ten gallon pots I do this way. Yeah I've typed this same response over a hundred times but overwatering is pretty much the number one issue for new growers with seedlings. Hasn't been beaten to death yet we will just have to keep trying.

Update:
First pic is at 630am this morning just before watering. The babies have not had any water for 24 hours. Soil noticeably dry and some wilting was evident. I got home at 530 and took the second picture. The wilting has improved and I think they look better but I am still concerned about the yellowing and browning of leaves.

I have read in other posts that I should leave the brown leafs alone. I have alos read that the yellowing could be caused by lack of Mg and an epsom salt solution could help. Maybe they were getting too much nutrients as clones?

Not sure if I should do anything other than keep watering once a day. Any advice is MUCH appreciated!!!
clones-day-4.1170248

clones-day-4.1170249

As for the yellowing/browning, keep an eye on it. Don't worry about the old leaves so much- it's the new growth since you planted them that matters. Google happy frog soil and see how it rates for seedlings. Sometimes people have nutrient burn issues with seedlings if the soil is a little hot- but then the plants outgrow the nutrient issue if it's not too extreme. I haven't used happy frog myself - we don't have it here, but it's very common on this forum, and I think it generally works well.
Besides nute burn I can't think of much that would cause browning. The happy frog should provide cal/mag, and should be ok for ph as well.

Much Improved . . . Need help with clones - 1st timer

UPDATE 1 Week later . . . .

I am learning . . . thanks to 2 local mentors/helpers and the 420mag community and all of the info I have read here (endless!).

The first couple of days had me worrying after transplanting the rock wool cubes into soil. The yellowing/Brown tips/leaf curling seemed like it was getting worse. All that changed on day 3 and the plants have only kept improving since then.

I knew that I would need to go into a bigger pot at some point but I was amazed at the root growth only 6 days after transplanting. Check out the picture below. This is typical of each in the dozen. I cant get over the ridiculous root system developed in just 6 days.
IMG_49166.jpg

Re: Much Improved . . . Need help with clones - 1st timer

It looks like they had a little nute burn- apparent from the burnt tips. Just take the lesson, and continue to be careful with feeding levels. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom