Need Help - I want to run HPS & MH lighting

Green007

I've done a lot of research about CFL's, but am considering HPS & MH. My grow cabinet is 44" wide x 70" tall x 30" deep (I can easily change the depth if need be). I have a Deep Water Culture setup and my res is about 14" x 24". I plan on growing 4 plants in the res, bag seed, hoping to get 2 females. If I purchase seeds (feminized) I'll probably only grow 2 plants at a time. What size light would be ideal? I know from my CFL studies that 7000L per sqft is what I want, but have no idea how that translates into HPS or MH lights. The hoods I've looked at are only like 24" long, would I need to run 2 of them side by side to cover my entire grow area or is one enough?

Also what other considerations do I need to consider to run these types of lights?

No replies yet. Let me restate my question and say that I just want to know how many and how big of lights do I need for this space and 2-4 plants?

I'd love an example of how to set it up for venting. Fan size, connecting to a carbon filter, using a muffler for stealth, ect.

Appreciate any links to do some reading on the subject too.

Thanks!

If I were you, I'd go with one 400 watt HPS or CMH bulb... HTG has setups pretty cheap. In that size cab, you will have all the coverage you need and then some from one light.

You'll need a fan - go with the 6" fan / filter combo they sell, and get the growbrite fan controller to reduce the speed and noise. The 4" combo would work, but it's too loud for a stealthy application.

I can't recommend it since I haven't tried it, but a bare vertically hung bulb might work well too. Just make sure you get some serious sunglasses... ;)

Almost forgot, will I still be able to use a passive intake? And if so how do I determine how big it should be?

I'd go with a htg 250 or 400 switchable for that size cabinet. I've grown with the 250 in a 3x3' space and it works fine. The 400, which I am now using, would give you deeper penetration but does produce a lot more heat. 250 is good for 3x3' area and the 400 covers 4'x4'. You have to make sure you can vent the heat out the top and a passive intact should be fine as long as the venting is good out of the grow room. I have a fan sitting outside my closet door and the door cracked just a little.

You've got 9 sq feet and the rule of thumb is 50 watts per sq foot (450), so a 400 sounds good.

You only need one hood ;)

Heat removal is something to consider, with HID you'll need to have a plant for exhaust as much or more than intake. I think the first thing to consider is how much smell is tolerable? OBX's comments are dead one.

Pictures ? ;)

I agree, OBX called it pretty much like I would. Your space is pretty comparable to mine, I'm using a 400w hps. I'm also using a 6" exhaust fan, you may not need any fan for intake, but that will depend on your situation. I'm using a simple reflector that probably isn't as efficient as a good hood would be so I'd expect better yield with a hood.

Good luck man, the hid is the way to go if you can, but heat will be an issue.

I've done a lot of research about CFL's, but am considering HPS & MH. My grow cabinet is 44" wide x 70" tall x 30" deep (I can easily change the depth if need be). I have a Deep Water Culture setup and my res is about 14" x 24". I plan on growing 4 plants in the res, bag seed, hoping to get 2 females. If I purchase seeds (feminized) I'll probably only grow 2 plants at a time. What size light would be ideal? I know from my CFL studies that 7000L per sqft is what I want, but have no idea how that translates into HPS or MH lights. The hoods I've looked at are only like 24" long, would I need to run 2 of them side by side to cover my entire grow area or is one enough?

Also what other considerations do I need to consider to run these types of lights?
just some quick link tools

Grow Light Wattage Calculation for Hydroponics and Indoor Gardening from Cheap Hydroponics

Hydroponics Exhaust Fan CFM Calculation for Gardening Indoors by Cheap Hydroponics

Advanced Nutrients | General Hydroponics | Hydroponic Supplies

Also keep in mind that if you want to use CO2 enrichment which I cant speak highly enough about you want more like 75 watts per sqft to really push the plants to there peak performance and potency. Non CO2 enriched 50 watts per sqft is fine. Also you can run a ceiled room grow enviroment with CO2 enrichment and use a air cooled hood to exhaust your heat from your light but basically keeping the rest of the grow enviroment ceilded. Also the Lumens output to watt consumption is best with HPS and MH second and 600 watt bulbs and ballast are the most electrically effiencient models. And the new digital ballasts can run HPS and MH bulbs plus they can power Sunpulse bulbs to there max. Also with new digital ballast they are 30% more power effiecent and produce between 20 and 30% more lumens then a normal core and coil or magnetic ballast. I have to say Nextgen ballasts are the way to go and the 400/600 model is great gives you the ability to veg under a 400 watt and flowering under a 600 watt etc. Just some input for ya Green007 feel free to PM me for any questions?

PS
In your situation your veg canopy will probably be closer to 8 to 9 sqft which would be perfect for a 400 watter but your flowering canopy near the end will be closer to 11-12 sqft with the proper adjustments to the depth being more like 36" which would be perfect for a 600 watter making your 1 hood setup vegging and flowering under one light and hood very easy with one of the Nextgen 400w/600w ballasts. One hood is fine for your situation if your going to veg and flowering under the same light like we have talked about in PM's etc.

Back
Top Bottom