Need Input On 1st Grow w/ Clones

Mork

I recently received 13 clones that were in rockwool to start my first medical grow. Each clone had roots exposed through the rockwool and didn't appear to have any root rot or mold. The clones came in a tray of perlite with water and nutes. I transplanted them into 3 gallon pots with a mix of Scott's Supersoil, worm casting, & perlite within 24 hours of receiving them (8-9-2010). I also spray painted the pots with white Krylon paint for added reflectivity. (Some pictures below were taken with my phone and others with my camera.)
P1020806.JPG

I have the clones in a 4'x4'x7' grow tent with a carbon filter connected to 600 MH Air Cooled Reflector connected to a 6 inch 340 CFM fan with the exhaust exiting outside the house. I also have a 6 inch 240 CFM inline fan bringing fresh air at the bottom as well as a small fan inside the tent for circulation. Temperature ranges from 82-74 F with 33-38% humidity. The light is currently 2 1/2 feet above the plants because of the distress. They are on a 24 hour light cycle as recommended by the person who gave me the clones.
grow_tent_set_up.jpg
outside_exhaust.jpg

During the transplant I added 1ml of Superthrive to each gallon of water and gave each clone 16 oz. They wilted dramatically within 24 hours. I poked holes in the soil to help with air because I thought I may had over watered them. No change so I began spraying the leaves with water suspecting maybe humidity levels too low. No change. I suspected maybe root rot was beginning to form because I didn't add enough perlite to the soil and the worm castings ended up being more dense wet than anticipated.
BooBoo_Aphrodite_1_.JPG
P1020818.JPG
P1020825.JPG
Blueberry_22.JPG

48 hours later, I added 8 oz of water with H2O2 to the soil of the clones wilting the most and also sprayed the leaves of all clones. They began to stop wilting. Then I noticed the next day that leaves started having very light yellow spots where the spray had dried. It doesn't appear to be light burn, but instead like the H2O2 mixture sapped the chlorophyll out of the leaves. I stopped using the H2O2 mix and just used water to rinse the leaves. I added 2 1/2 ml of 3% H2O2 to 1 gallon of water. They clones appeared to be adjusting and new growth occurred.

On the 5th day I watered all the clones with another 1/2 gallon and Superthive mixed into the water. The soil was completely dry so I watered them. I have not added any nutes due to the existing nutes in the worm castings and Supersoil. On the 6th day they started wilting again. So my question is this normal & I am over reacting? Or is it possible PH imbalance or root rot? I haven't tested the PH yet because I am still waiting on my PH meter to arrive. Any input is greatly appreciated!

P1020844.JPG
P1020843.JPG
P1020838.JPG
P1020837.JPG
P1020835.JPG
P1020834.JPG

Okay so I added some humidifiers and raised humidity to about 50%. I sprayed the leaves with spring water & VF-11 fertilizer mix. When the pots were dry I also added some VF-11 & Superthrive during watering. Majority of the plants look great now with only a few stragglers. I lost one that looked pretty bad to begin with, but I am not worried since I have another one of same strain. Updated pictures coming soon.

Here is what I am growing:

3 x Original Blueberry
2 x Hog's Breath
2 x Magic Bud
2 x Purple Gas
2 x Lemon OG
1 x Aphrodite

You are certainly on your way. Just get through the transition period and they will be growing out of control. Many would envy your location and setup. Cheers.

Thank you for replying to my thread. :wood: That everything continues to go okay. I think I should maybe put this in the grow log section, but I don't know how to change catagories. I think the clones are doing great considering the stress they were in when I first received them.

Here is a comparison from the clones after transplant, 1st week, and 2nd week.

P1020816.JPG

1st_Week_After_Transplant.JPG

2nd_Week_After_Transplant.JPG

I am new to the site too and one moderator that helped me do something like that is happykitty. In time we can get to know all the mods and that is one of their jobs, to make sure things end up in the right place.

I think I will just start a new thread in the grow log section. I want to change a few things. I will post the link once its created. :thanks:

I've done rockwool to soil with clones for many years.

When transplanting, your soil needs to be really wet. If the mix is a bit drier than the rockwool, it will draw the moisture right out of the cube, causing the plants to wilt.

I REALLY water in transplants so this doesn't happen and as the soil and rockwool dry out together it stabilizes (best way I can put it), or maintains an equilibrium.

DD

Yeah, I made silly mistakes with this grow already. I should know better since I have been gardening for years and have taken several horticulture classes. I should have added water to my soil before transplanting the clones into the pots. The clones were already saturated with water when I received them. I was too concerned about over watering that I only added 16 oz to the pot after transplant. Duh! I should have watered until I saw water draining from the bottom.

I am going to get Superoots Air-Pot for my next grow so I don't have to worry about overwatering or drainage. In fact I am thinking about putting some clones in the air pots to see how well they do in them.

Oh well. The clones look great right now and have started to pre-flower. I will post new pictures in my grow log in a couple of days. :slide:

Back
Top Bottom