Need your advice

bigjay420

420 Member
Hey guys this is my first indoor grow i built a closet specific for the job and i am planning on growing my crops all organic. I found this organic chicken manure (I will add some images to my post), I wonder if any of you experienced growers tried these stuff, how much i should use and at what phase i should use them. any kind of info is very much appreciated.

We used the raw, uncomposted stuff in our vegetable gardens. It's one of the worst smelling, yet highly prized fertilizers in that form. We got it from our own chicken coop, where we raised them by what now is known as organically. We didn't have a fancy name for it back then. It was just raising them on locally harvested grain without hormones.

Composed and pelleted, the smell will be gone. The question now is "How were the chickens raised?" My uncle had a commercial chicken ranch. Some floors had 50,000 or more chicks destined for the meat markets. These chicks took six weeks to grow to market size, and eight to reach broiler size. To achieve this growth rate, the lights were on 24/7, and food, heavily laced with growth hormones was always available. If your fertilizer was sourced from such a ranch, I'd be wondering whether or not the growth hormones were de-activated during processing. The bedding put down on these ranches is usually softwood shavings.

Now, how we used it... We'd put the raw manure on the gardens each year in the fall, about 1/4 - 1/2" thick. This would be worked into the soil, and left to compost until planting time arrived in the spring. As yours is composted and pelleted, I'd pulverize the pellets, and mix it thoroughly with dried soil in a 50:1 ratio. That is 20ml ground fertilizer to 1 liter of soil and try that out. (I don't know the composition of your soil.) Water it well after mixing. Use this for up to half of your crop, before up potting to your final containers. This way if it's 'too hot' you'll be able to re-plant using soil with less, or increase the fertilizer if you can.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane...;)

Back
Top Bottom