New 1800 watt organic soil room

Boombollie

Hi, ya'll. I've got a new space gettin' all set up for my first indoor show, and I'm pretty stoked. I've got 3 600w HPS with super fancy 8" air cooled hoods, and Nexgen digital ballests, one of them running a HPS-MH conversion bulb. I plan on starting off with about 12-14 clones, and I've read the indoor grow bible and several journals here, as well as helped on plenty of outdoor shows in various PNW states.

My first question is this: What are the benefits of running an HPS as well as the MH conversion bulbs during veg? Should I just go ahead and get two more conversion bulbs and do an all MH veg cycle or does the mix of spectrum help?

Also, during flowering, does the mix of spectrum help there too? I've heard a bit of MH light is helpful for adding trichromes.

I'm interested in doing this right, so I'm in no hurry and open to any feedback and tips.

Thanks, ya'll.

:welcome: Your off to a good start. Those Nextgen ballast are nice! Not sure if you need conversion bulbs for em as they should be MH/HPS compatible. I'd run 2 MH 1 HPS to veg and then go to 1 MH, 2 HPS for flowering. The MH are a close to daylight 6500k and the HPS are around 2700k to approximate the fall sun.

Thanks for the welcome, Frosty!
Not sure if you need conversion bulbs for em as they should be MH/HPS compatible.

They are compatible, but it's my understanding don't make MH in 600 watts, and it's a 600W ballast. Just playing my cards and chips super tight till' I learn the table, ya know?

I'd run 2 MH 1 HPS to veg and then go to 1 MH, 2 HPS for flowering. The MH are a close to daylight 6500k and the HPS are around 2700k to approximate the fall sun.

I was considering another conversion bulb to put the veg at 1200w in the blue and just six in the orange-ish spectrum. Having just a little of one or the other helps in either veg or flower, yeah? If so, why?

bump.

Gotcha on that 600w MH since it is not a natural wattage for MH. Your on top of it.

The light of 6500k is somewhat representative of long bright summer days (sun straight above ). The light of 2700k is somewhat representative of fall and the red/orange light (sun lower on horizon) the sun gives off being shorter days triggering plants to finish up for the season.

So what I'm asking is what, if any, is the benefit of having a bit of the 2700k during veg and a bit of the 6500k during flower.

thanks again

So what I'm asking is what, if any, is the benefit of having a bit of the 2700k during veg and a bit of the 6500k during flower.

thanks again

Yah plenty! I could get really techy about blue light, red light, white light blah blah, but I must admit I just smoked two joints for fun, and as im typing now the letters seem to be jumping out the screen with trails.
There is plenty benefit, and I say this because I have done it myself. To grow your plants optimally here is what i would recommend...

Start Veg off with pure 6500k, and keep it that way for 1/2-2/3s of veg. Once you're plants show preflowers, smack them with some 2700k lighting. Mix in a few 2700k bulbs, or if you have a 3.5k-4 k bulb(s) hit them with that. They will absolutely looove it. They will grow vigorously, be more stout, but might stretch a lil too(cause of the spectrum).
To start out flower once again, pure 2700k(If space allows). That will get your bitches to stretch like crazy, and as we all kno 2700k is better for bud density. Everyone says that 6500k bulbs(whether MH or cfl) will make your buds fluffy, and they're right. However, while hps and 2700k will give you the yield you're looking for its blue light that's proven to increase and improve potency. So the last 2-3 weeks you can hit them with mixed spectrum or just a ton of blue light (6500k/MH). If you go all blue, you will see an increase in trichome production which is due to the plants protecting their calyxs from the UV that is associated with a higher kelvin rating.
So its like this
Early Veg: 6500k/MH
Late Veg: Mixed Spectrum
Early to Late Bloom: HPS
Late bloom to finish: Mixed spectrum or all blue.

trust me, you'll looooooooooove it.

So its like this
Early Veg: 6500k/MH
Late Veg: Mixed Spectrum
Early to Late Bloom: HPS
Late bloom to finish: Mixed spectrum or all blue.

trust me, you'll looooooooooove it.

Dude. Exactly the info I was looking for, and kind of the direction I was leaning just from all I've read in the last few months. Like I said, I've got the HPS and just one conversion bulb for now I'll just get one more HPS and two more conversions so I can have all three 600W jobs going one way or another, such as early veg and early bloom, and than the mixed spectrum the rest of the time. Sweet. I'm stoked about the help I'm getting and all the help ya'll have given others that I've been able to sponge up.

Thinking of starting a journal, but I'm super nervous about being so open, even online. I'm legal and in PNW state, so I know it sounds odd, but.........

Start a journal bro, just dont give out your address ;)

i actually just might do that.....i'm starting to feel brave. I've got a good three weeks to go before I'm actually set up and ready to move girls in, but oh hell yea.

Thanks, PV. Now with 1800W and 3-4 week veg, what would be a good ball park yield with ten plants? I'm thinking roughly 2.5-3.5oz?

Back
Top Bottom