New at this

ray7390

HEY I HAVE TO SAY AFTER CHECKING OUT SEVERAL CANNABIS FORUMS. i FIND THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE TO BE KNOWLEDGABLE AND FRIENDLY. AS A NEW MEMBER AND NEW GROWER I WILL PROBABLY HAVE MANY QUESTIONS.

MY FIRST CROP I GREW INDOORS AND USED JUST SUNLIGHT
OUT OF 12 PLANTS I GOT 2 OUNCES.

NOW IM GROWING WITH CFLS AND IT LOOKS LIKE LESS YIELD.
COULD IT BE MY SEEDS?

Hi ray7390, :welcome: to the Mag. It is not your seeds. What is the total wattage of your CFLs? More than likely, it is a lack of light. :peace:

Re: GOOD SEEDS

About obtaining good quality seeds.

Most if not all seed companies i log on to state they do not ship to u.s. What to do!

Hey cocojoe thanks for the welcome!

I'm using 8 100 watt cfl's (23watts each) for every
4 plants

Ray Welcome Aboard! There is a 300 watt CFL (78 watts) that is available at both Home Depot and Lowes for Appx. $15. I use #2-300 watts and 5-100 watts. My plants really seem to like the 300 watt CFL's.

Thanks joe coffee for the info. Now with 2- 300w cfl's could that compare to a 400w hid

Hey Ray, I'm in the middle of a grow with a 400w HPS, going great, if anything they are too big! For my grow space at least.

I'm setting up a new veg room and I'm going with cfl's to avoid dealing with the heat problem. I've bought 8- 55w cfl's, 6- 5,000k and 2- 2700k. These wattages are the actual wattage, I believe they are equivalent to the lumen output of 250w incandescent bulbs.

Pay attention to the color of the light put out by the lamp, that is the temp the bulb burns at, it is the color of light put out by the bulb, blues are a higher temp and reds are lower temps. For vegging you want to use the higher temp bulbs, 4,000k + as this is the color the plants respond to best when flowering, these are the "Daylight" bulbs you see on the shelf.

However, when you want to start flowering you will want a different mix of colors, you'll want to be closer to the low temp range. The 2700k color is closer to the color of the sun in the fall, during the flowering season. The sun is lower in the sky thus increasing the atmosphere the light travels through thus pushing the light toward then red spectrum, this is the same reason why a sunset is red.

So, bottom line, use several different colors of bulbs to more closely replicate sunlight, higher temps during veg, lower temps for flowering. As to comparing it to an HID, I compare the lumen output. Those 55w cfl's I've bought put out approx. 3,600 lumens each, so using 8 will give me 28,800 lumens total. My 400w HPS put out 51,000 lumens using the HPS lamp. HID lamps are much more efficient than cfl's, but they burn a lot hotter. So you can put more cfl's in and pay more in utility bills, or you can use the HID but then you have to deal with venting the heat and those bills.

I don't even want to go into what grows the better buds, that's a discussion for another thread.

Good luck! and Happy Holidays!

:peace:

I don't own a 400 watt HID so therefore I cannot extend a opinion but, My girls are flowering quite nicely with CFL's... There are plenty of pictures in my Grow Journal to prove you can be successful with a CFL grow. It's also nice not having to deal with excessive heat buildup.

I don't own a 400 watt HID so therefore I cannot extend a opinion but, My girls are flowering quite nicely with CFL's... There are plenty of pictures in my Grow Journal to prove you can be successful with a CFL grow. It's also nice not having to deal with excessive heat buildup.

The Roseman just finished a grow using cfl's and I'm impressed with the quantity and I'm assuming quality, I haven't heard a report on the flavor, but I'm sure it'll be great! They really do seem to make the heat problem go away!

:peace:

Happy holidays everyone!!!

hey guy's I'm working on new cfl lamps. I'm thinking of adding them to my current crop. By the way any body ever had a problem with the electric co. You know; why the high power consumption?

Back
Top Bottom