New grower going LED, Question?

LoveThyPit

Hi, I have been searching the forums for a couple weeks now and just joined. Let me start by thanking everyone who contributes to this forum and the sponsors to. This place is full of very valuable information and will really aide in my "newbness" to growing. :thanks:

After researching, and researching, and a little more research, I have decided that LED is the way I want to go. I have come to this conclusion for a few different reasons, mainly cost of running, heat, and longevity. I have been looking at different LED options through our sponsors only. Now I know that just because a company is a sponsor doesnt persay mean that they are 100% truthful, or that the have good products even. So I have been really trying to look through the forums for reviews of lights that have been tried and tested. Through my digging I have found some key specs to look for in a good LED light.

So what I have found, Advanced lightings Diamond Series lights are the most popular choice. Now I am aware that good quality LED lights will not be cheap, hence why LED is not that popular with most growers. I am aware that Advancedlighting.com is, has been, and probably will be a sponsor for a long time, and I am in no way trying to take away from their products and their service thats keeps getting 5 stars from a lot of people here.

I am sure a lot of you are thinking "where is the question here?" . Well my question is why does Advanced take all the cake here and Dormgrow (also a sponsor) is avoided like the black plague? lol. I dont have any experience with either company obviously but based on some research I have done this is what I can point out. An advanced diamond series (DS) 200 goes for $595 and the DS300 goes for $795. While a 240w panel from Dormgrow is going for $300 and a 450w is going for $580. Now I am no expert at all, but taking some thing I have learned here and comparing the specs I feel like the Dormgrow panels are the right choice for a new grower wanting to get into LED, am I wrong? Another note is that both companies carry the same warranty. Another thing I found that I liked about Dormgrow is that they seem to be quite involved here in the forums. I have seen quite a few posts and threads from them interacting on the forum. They even took advice from users here to up their guarantee period and seem to use the constuctive criticism well.

Anyway I think I got my question out lol, any input, thoughts, and advice would be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

Hey im a newb too... i cant really answer your question but i would feel bad if i looked at your thread and just added to "the views" while no one is responding.... im a cfl user myself.... but i've heard good things about LED... so i just wanted to wish you luck and hopefully someone with experience and the correct answer will answer your question :)

Hey im a newb too... i cant really answer your question but i would feel bad if i looked at your thread and just added to "the views" while no one is responding.... im a cfl user myself.... but i've heard good things about LED... so i just wanted to wish you luck and hopefully someone with experience and the correct answer will answer your question :)

Thanks for not leaving me hanging Pistils lol, I wish you luck as well in your grow attempt :thumb:

I have a DS100 and an Extreme Flower 120, both from Advanced LED. The plants love the lights. But there are times when the Advanced LED lights don't fit the circumstances. I recently helped a friend start a grow in a 2'x2'x4' space ... We used a Blackstar 180HO veg/clone light. Height would have been a serious problem w/ my Advanced LED lights as they have to be 30" above seedlings and 18" when flowering ... the Blackstar was 20" and 10" ... much better 2'x2' core footprint too ...my next set of lights will probably be Pro Grow 180 Switchable spectrum lights ...

An answer to the OP ... Advanced LED lights are named for their approx watt usage ie. DS100 = 100 watts ... chances are the Dorm Grow isn't named using the same criteria ... Watts used v. total wattage listed are often very different.

You asked why does it seem Advanced is promoted more. I'm saying the cream rising to the top.

They're are promoted more because they must work better/have a better reputation.

Ohh, ok I got you now ,sorry about that. I understand that point, to an extent. But then again, just because something has been around longer doesnt mean its better. It may mean it has a better reputation because for the first few years of LED lighting they were the go to source, as time goes on other companies get into the mix and either try to copy or improve on a design. Some will fail miserably and others will succeed. My question was more or less comparing the products not the company, obviously a company cant get a "better" reputation if no one will give them a shot because of one company running a manapoly. On this site the bias leans toward advanced lighting, which you sell if I am not mistaken? So anyone coming here asking about the options in LED most will immediately say "Advanced" and discredit any other company. Without competition a company has no reason to be lowering prices, and isnt that our hope? We need other companies with a good product to also have a voice in order to permote competition.

Now as I have said I have NO experience with any LED grow lights and only bring up Advanced because they are the "go to company" for many on this site. While comparing products I found Dormgrows products to have comparable specs at a cheaper price. So I am reaching out to anyone with knowledge on LED lighting to compare the product specs (I am aware that specs cant always speak for performance) and inform myself, and any other newbie looking to start out in the LED world some insight on wether or not these light may make a good starter grow set-up or not.

And let me say please dont take anything that I said wrong JJ, I have seen many post/threads from you and know you are a sponsor and a contributor here. I am not trying to step on your or anyone elses toes, just trying to get some info and maybe open some doors along the way. Thank you for your input, sponsorship, and wealth of knowledge :bravo:

I have a DS100 and an Extreme Flower 120, both from Advanced LED. The plants love the lights. But there are times when the Advanced LED lights don't fit the circumstances. I recently helped a friend start a grow in a 2'x2'x4' space ... We used a Blackstar 180HO veg/clone light. Height would have been a serious problem w/ my Advanced LED lights as they have to be 30" above seedlings and 18" when flowering ... the Blackstar was 20" and 10" ... much better 2'x2' core footprint too ...my next set of lights will probably be Pro Grow 180 Switchable spectrum lights ...

An answer to the OP ... Advanced LED lights are named for their approx watt usage ie. DS100 = 100 watts ... chances are the Dorm Grow isn't named using the same criteria ... Watts used v. total wattage listed are often very different.

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate any info I can get. I am aware with the LED watt claims and actual draw, both mentioned sites advertise the same way, listing their panels as a 200 watt, but when you look at the specs the both list their "avg. draw" also. I understand the theory behind not wanting to power LED's at their max to prolong life.

As a new grower also, who also went the LED route, The only issue that I've found is the lack of heat generated. As my night time temps can get alittle low even with the heat on. When they say "no heat produced", they mean it.
BR.

Back
Top Bottom