new grower growing white widow help.

nash420

hey every one i am a new grower but have done alot of research and have a few qustions and i am open to any help or advice you have for me.

things i am going to use or have

i bought white widow seeds of net.
fox farm soil. i want this soil but i have seed starting potting mix (miracle-gro) could i just use this or should i invest in fox farm.
going to get fox farm nutes but dont know excatly what to get also do i put them in the soil or spray them on the plants with a bottle?
flourescent bulbs many of them.
also what reflective matterial should i use was going to use alumina foil but heard i shouldnt and suggests?
also if i am using flourescents can i flower using the same bulbs just changing the lighting hours?

the space i am using is about 4 by 4 and about 5 1/2 tall (closet) any help is much appretiated i will post pics if anyone needs them to help me. Thanks again!!!!!!!

get yourself a 400 or 600 watt HPS light system and use don't use miracle-gro anything. read the directions about nutrients and the proper strength to use depending on how old your plants are. ask as many questions as you can now to avoid failures later. your first grow is always a huge learning experience anyways so good luck and welcome!

i was looking to use fox farm grow big nutes and was wondering how big the plant should be before i start giving nutes. also you said to use 400 to 600 watt HPS. what excatly is HPS and is that for the veg. stage or just flowering stage and could i use my flourescents for veg. stage and will they flower off of flourescents. do you have any suggestions for what reflective material to use besides alumina foil.

HPS stands for High Pressure Sodium and is a type of HID (High Intensity Discharge) lighting. You can take your plants from veg thru flower with that kind of light just fine. you don't want to start hitting your plants with full strength nutes until they are decent size and can handle it. again, I would go into all the different threads here on 420 and start reading up on the different lighting options available and the general rules of thumb for growing in soil; ie when to feed them, what kind of soils to use, problems to look for and expect, etc, etc

it sounds like you have a lot more basic steps to figure out first before you start worrying about nutrients in my opinion.

start with lighting requirements based on the area you plan to use - be sure to understand your electrical system and if the outlets can support what you'd like to use
then think about ventilation
consider how you are going to enclose the area you will grow in and install the equipment you will use
etc, etc

Steps 1 thru 5 sort of thing before you worry about number 10.

cheers

thanks for the help i was looking at a 250watt HPS light or a 400 watt hps bulb i was wondering if i had to get a ballast with thos balbs i really didnt want to spend much on the lights. but the bulb is only about 30$.

you will need a ballast to run HID lighting such as HPS. Do NOT screw one of those bulbs into a regular socket as it will not work and probably only damage the bulb.

google 400watt HPS lighting systems and you will find a million of them out there. Better yet, find a local grow/hydro store that carries such equipment and purchase it there as most will warranty your purchases on the spot (or at least help you) instead of shipping to some random company you purchased off the internet.

I would go with a 400 or 600 watt system based on your space. look for complete packages with bulb, reflector, ballast, etc. there are electronic and magnetic ballasts but if this is your first experience with HID lighting and want to keep it inexpensive you might want to just go with a decent magnetic ballasts instead of electronic or digital. I say this only bc electronic and digital ballasts are more expensive and some brands have been known to have lots of end-user issues so for your first go, magnetic may be best.

start Googleing, reading, etc and you will pick up a lot of what I'm talking about here. Or just read someones grow journal and see how others have already done it. The more you read on this site and poke around, the more you will pick up. everything you need is out there on this website its just a matter of doing the research ahead of time to get your grow room set up right.

trying to take a crop 100% to harvest with only fluorescent or incandescent type lighting is a pretty much futile effort in my opinion. You will be glad you purchased a legit lighting setup, trust me.

good luck :ganjamon:

Thanks for all the help man really apretiate it i will post pics of the set up and once i recive the seeds and start growing. cant wait just need to make up my mind in all the options i am going to have in front of me.

i was looking at some fox farm soils and was wondering if there was a certain kind i should get i am seeing alot of different kinds like frog organic and frog tomato and vegtable wondered if anyone has heard of these or could point me at a good kind.

Go buy what they recommend here for soil nutes:

https://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/soilfeed.pdf

FF Ocean forest is the Medium most FF lovers use... i use "Roots Organic" (not in the ff family)

I use the whole line...except the "Solubles" my hydro guy advised me to use "Boost" by Canna instead, he says it replaces all three...Wow what a difference in the Nuggs, much bigger & plumper buds.

Oh and instead of the Big bloom i use VermiT...im very lucky to have a hydro shop which brews a new batch Every week..

that canna boost is expensive but do you think it is worth it and that could be the only nutes i would need if so then it is worth it. just nutes and some fox farm ocean forest.

Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil is an excellent growing medium for the new grower (and many experienced ones as well), requiring only the addition of perlite to lighten it. Adding one part perlite to three parts FFOF makes a soil that drains well.

Hope you've been reading in the forums. The information is available and free.

Forums of special interest to the novice grower are:
How to Grow Marijuana
Frequently Asked Questions
Both of which are packed with the kind of basic information that will give you the knowledge you need to consider which of the many growing styles/methods you would like to try.

Along with those two, the other forums in The Grow Room are very helpful. They cover everything from grow room setup and picking genetics, the vegetative and flowering cycles, to harvesting and curing. You will also be able to look at others' completed grow journals to see how different ideas work in the real world and follow along with current grows.

Feel free to ask questions - we are all here to help. But some time spent reading first will allow you to ask specific questions (and help you understand the answers you will get).

Back
Top Bottom