New Grower - Hydro in Flower - Does Plant Look Okay?

VladimirPutin

Hello, I have a plant in hydro and no TDS/EC meter to confirm how hot my nutrient mix is. My concern is the lighter green grow tips around the buds, if that is just light bleaching or if it could be something more dangerous. Also a leaf has purple around the borders. I am just curious because this is my first "good" hydro grow. Here are the specs.

Day 12 of 12/12

LandRace Sativa, coco coir net pot. Using city water (it's good quality, not hard water), dechlorinated with aquarium conditioner.

I am using GH 3 part at full strength.

Cal and Mag and pH down.

pH was lower over the weekend, at 5.6-5.7. Last night I readjusted it with Si to 6.4 and will keep it like that for a day before it creeps back down.

Roots are very healthy, white, tap roots almost as wide as sharpie marker thickness

My 380 watts of LED (real power draw) were hanging at around 6 inches from the canopy and being blown so no apparent heat issues.

IMG-20150720-00945.jpg
IMG-20150720-00948.jpg
IMG-20150720-00941.jpg

The LED's will make the leaves turn purple sometimes if too close, could be a slight Mag issue from the first picture, nothing major. The light green around the bud sites is pretty normal when you first go into flower, at least in my experiences. If those were my plants I would have them at 750-800ppm at this stage and no more than 1100-1200ppm in the middle of flower...just my .02 cents

My plants like 6.0pH in flower, and 5.6-5.8pH in veg, and go get some Recharge by Scotty Real, I use it in RDWC-DWC even though it's a soil conditioner (beneficial microbes) it will make you extremely happy with what it does...I use 1/8th teaspoon per gallon..the stuff is awesome, and you'll find yourself using less nutrients.:peace:

Thank you BuddroG, I raised the lamp to almost 10" this morning, also I fed mag and cal about 18 hours ago, 2 parts cal 1 part mag, less than a tea spoon into almost 2 gallons. Res water and nutes only have 7 days on them, I change every 2 weeks but add a pinch of cal and mag on the 7th day.

Anybody else have an opinion? Thanks in advance.:bongrip:

Vlad

My first impression was that the light new growth could be a sulfur deficiency or a magnesium issue. What kind of water are you using? RO, tap?

I'm not sure what light you're using, but at 380W, I'd guess you should be at least 12" from the canopy. The manufacturer's recommendations on height are usually a good place to start. With my 185W real draw Mars lights, the recommended height is 12-18" and I've had good luck at 12".

As for the purpling, it could be due to the light, the strain, or the temperature. Do they get cold at any time?

My first impression was that the light new growth could be a sulfur deficiency or a magnesium issue. What kind of water are you using? RO, tap?

I'm not sure what light you're using, but at 380W, I'd guess you should be at least 12" from the canopy. The manufacturer's recommendations on height are usually a good place to start. With my 185W real draw Mars lights, the recommended height is 12-18" and I've had good luck at 12".

As for the purpling, it could be due to the light, the strain, or the temperature. Do they get cold at any time?

Thanks for stopping in JoJo,
here is an updated pic I took today.
IMG-20150721-00950.jpg

I did raise the light to 10" since 1 day ago. And I noticed darker green on most of the leaves.
I am using tap but it's not hard water. I supplement cal and mag because without it I did notice a nasty mag deficiency for a while but then it cleared up on all the new growth
The night temps fall to 63 F, during the day it's 70 F.

Vlad

Yeah, they are looking a little better/darker. It must have been the light height.

As for the temperature, some strains can't handle lower temperatures and will purple a bit. I believe this is also often accompanied with slower growth. I don't think 63°F is too low though, but who knows. Have you noticed slow growth? It looks like a healthy plant to me!

No slow growth, she is drinking 1/2 gal per day and the roots are beastly and white so ... maybe I was overreacting. Thanks for reassuring me that she looks good!

Vlad

Back
Top Bottom