New with and unexpected Grow

Simon Sativa

Hi all! I'm new here and recently given a clone of firebush cookies strain. I saw the mother plant she was taken from and tasted fruit from her siblings before (soun like a creep) she was stolen so I ended up with one of her few clones.

Long story short..I got her damn near dead and whilted, watered her, transplanted her into soil (vermifire), and put her under 2 6500k cfl's @ 18/6 . She's looking wayyyyy better and has some new growth. But looks droopy and has nute burn? Also her leaves feel really dry...

20130814_234354.jpg

Leaf with burned tips. All of the bigger fan leaves have a slight burn on the middle leaf at the tip.

20130814_234219.jpg

20130814_234205.jpg

20130814_234412.jpg

20130814_234310.jpg

20130814_234241.jpg

20130814_234259.jpg

All new growth which she didn't have before. I haven't grown in over 10 years so I figured I should ask for help. I plan on mothering her for a good while then cloning.

Thanks!

Here's a picture of a leaf tip and some curling going on. I was told my side light was too close and burning my plant/drying her up? I had my hand in front of the lamp and felt just warm from that distance. I hung them both above and adjusted her to the middle in hopes for a change. Its mostly on the lower fan leaves but they all seem to be drooping now! I still see that shes growing more everyday! all the new growth is pushing on, the FIMed top is branching out as well.

I stirred the soil up a bit on top thinking it might have compacted wayyyy too much and is lacking oxygen. Soil is still moist at best, pot is still fairly heavy. I remember someone mentioning VERMIFIRE was a very hot soil. i haven't feed her anything special just PHd a gallon of water and added a few drops of HYGROZYME and SUPERTHRIVE. If nothing changes within a day or two should i consider flushing?

20130815_092237.jpg

20130815_092113.jpg

20130815_092319.jpg

20130815_092322.jpg

my suggestion.

she sounds like shes still rooting... that amount of light shoudlnt hurt her. However, i would cut some of the leaves in half (most acutally) and keep her misted, or build a cheap plastic dome for her.

this will help her perk up, and fight less on trying to just stay alive, and more on rooting properly

new growth means shes trying, BUT, without a good root system, things can go south very quickly. work on that before trying to make her grow:)

also, dont feed her just yet. the bottom leaves will start to yellow off and die.. but thats OK.

when she can stand nice and perky on her own without the dome or misting. you know her roots are established. then you can start feeding her lightly, shortly after that, clip off the last of the dead leaf parts. and watch her grow into a beauty :)

edit: make sure you dont over water. that can kill her off too by rotting the stem. plus, roots like to search for water, not so much always be covered in it. (unless you're going hydro... but thats a different story all together)

my suggestion.

she sounds like shes still rooting... that amount of light shoudlnt hurt her. However, i would cut some of the leaves in half (most acutally) and keep her misted, or build a cheap plastic dome for her.

this will help her perk up, and fight less on trying to just stay alive, and more on rooting properly

new growth means shes trying, BUT, without a good root system, things can go south very quickly. work on that before trying to make her grow:)

also, dont feed her just yet. the bottom leaves will start to yellow off and die.. but thats OK.

when she can stand nice and perky on her own without the dome or misting. you know her roots are established. then you can start feeding her lightly, shortly after that, clip off the last of the dead leaf parts. and watch her grow into a beauty :)

edit: make sure you dont over water. that can kill her off too by rotting the stem. plus, roots like to search for water, not so much always be covered in it. (unless you're going hydro... but thats a different story all together)

Cool! I did just that...well kinda. I taped some metal stakes around the pot and wrapped her in saran wrap :/ lol works though! it holds humidity fairly well. I did notice that the very top leaf is starting to really curl its tips upward. Should i cut it off? cut all the bigger fan leafs in half? she seems a bit fuller the other fan leafs look a lot perkier. Thanks for the suggestions!

just the big fans. they will become food, and they are big enough that you probably should cut them.

reason being, is they are always letting out moisture, and with a weak root system, it has a hard time replenishing that moisture. therefore, less leaves = less transpired moisture for it to replenish, which = more time focusing on rooting, less on just living. if you get what i'm saying.

as for the curling up leaves, leave them... and are you seeing cupping? or twisting? cupping could mean too warm, or not enough humidity. twisting is normally a PH off balance.

anyways.

during this stage, they aren't too picky about light. in fact the less the better. roots grow in the dark, leaves grow in the light (for the most part, not 100% obviously.. this isn't a rule, this is a noobie guideline. just pretend like its true.

with that in mind CFL's don't really put of much light compared to HID, especially if you have her wrapped in saran wrap. and you still want the 18/6 or more light period... you don't want to stress her. this is one of the reasons people keep cuttings so far away from HID light, or use tubes/cfl's.

now, once humidity is fixed, you will notice her getting perky... leave her like this for a few days.

after a few days, you can test her root system by removing the humidity dome periodically.(an hour in a day.. or less if she starts drooping before that...start there) if her leaves droop again, shes not ready (the amount of time it takes for her leaves to droop is a pretty solid way of checking the progress.)

once you can remove the dome without her leaves drooping... keep it off. after this stage, excess humidity can start to cause problems.

Ok. I went ahead and cut off all the fan leafs :x They got big enough that they actually looked like they were blocking light? Either way i took a close look and saw more actual branch sites were forming vs the single fan leafs grown in awkward places. Hopefully the roots take to it and go frm there...She does look kind of naked! But a lot healthier. Her stem seems thicker and she looks pretty green.

Here you can see where the leaves were sort of cupping upward.
The water i initially fed her with was PH'd a little lower for hydro. But i didnt notice any twisting or anything of the nature.

20130818_102326.jpg

20130818_102231.jpg

20130818_111945.jpg

20130818_112017.jpg

20130818_111953.jpg

20130818_112205.jpg

And there she is all nakey. My friend says i cut too much off..but it made sense to cut it off and help the roots establish more. I had the humidity dome off her for over an hour before i trimmed her up and didn't notice any drooping. I'll keep her wrapped up for another day or so...

The soil seems to be drying up. I stuck my single down in there and it felt sort of humid? i mixed around the top soil a bit and it felt the same...so maybe a watering is due soon?

Thanks for all your help!

i didnt mean cut them ALL off, but cut in half... but whats done is done, and really, you're probably still fine.

here is one thing to keep in mind.

some strains clone easier than others. some its hard to fail, and some its hard to clone , period.

this one i would say was cut way too big as youre supposed to cut only a few nodes up a branch, then take off the bottom most node, and plant it past that. (or at least thats how i do it)

But either way, thats not saying she wont survive.

keep the soil damp, and not wet.

keep the humidity up.

dont worry about yellowing of bottom leaves. (AND LEAVE THEM ON THE PLANT UNTIL THEY ARE DEAD)

dont feed it

dont bother it too much

do all those things and hope for the best. keeping the soil a little bit warmer helps tons too... not hot, but a little warmer, keep in mind some plants will root in a week, some in 3 weeks.

given the humidity is good, they can survive a LONG time without roots(until all the leaves have been consumed for food). trick is just keeping them alive long enough to root.

keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom