Newbie Q&A on CO2 and light kit recommendations

Captainblast

Newbie here, long time lurker and researcher. Would like to say thanks for all the knowledge gathered thus far and thanks in advance for the lessons to be learned. Has been many, many moons since I grew at all and that was bag seed and outdoors pre sense days. Yep I got some miles on me. Anyway, in the process of setting up a room, so obviously lots of questions but will try to keep it to a couple at a time.
Have a spare bedroom for my setup and planning a 5x5 tent for flower, (1) 4x4 tent for veg, and (2) 3x3's one for clone and one for Mother's to start with. Will be up and running by the end of January.

Just starting, so I don't want nor can I afford to spend a fortune on separate light reflector, ballast and bulb, so would like input on best recommendation for a light kit such as Apollo, iPower, etc that will not break the bank but will give me a year of service (hopefully) so I can invest on better equipment as I gain experience. Looking for light info (1,000w) for my 5x5.

2nd newbie question: I live in a very rural area, not a legal state (no hydro stores), and would like to know if CO2 from a welder supply is good as food/beverage grade, I realize some gas suppliers supply both, just not sure about my area, if most of you rent/lease your cylinders or buy your own, and lastly what's my reasoning for needing a 50# bottle of CO2 when inquiring with a local welding/gas supplier, i.e., beer home brewing etc.?

Again, thanks in advance for any and all help/advice

Glad to hear your coming back to the growing scene. I'm new here myself, but I have been doing research for a while myself. So happy that I took my time to learn before hand and this site is just amazing!! I'm using CFL's for my grow, so I would be of very little hep to the first question.

For your second question, that's right up my alley. Sort of. I worked in restaurants for years before I became disabled and would frequently buy my CO2 for the soda machines locally as I could usually get a better price. You could just tell them your welding first and foremost. They really don't ask too many questions usually though. You could also tell them you have a home bar and need it for the soda dispenser. I think you'll find that they don't really care. Unless you live like in that place where they filmed Deliverance...lol

Hope that helps at least a little. Good luck on the grow and keep on toking!!

~K~:Namaste::welcome::goodluck::ciao:

I have 2 Apollo GL100 units for my grow. Fixing to move seedlings from 200 watt cfl's to 300 watt led until flowering. I thoroughly checked both lights when they arrived, nothing is loose and I can't seem to find a single thing wrong with them. Thought about taking the casing off to take a look at the inside and really see what's what. If you have any questions or want updates once the the move is made I would be more than happy to help :)

As far as Co2 goes... I'm determining how I will introduce Co2 into the environment as well. Leaning towards designing a tray and using dry ice. Should keep the temps reasonable while the fans are off but high enough so that the plant is really breathing and drinking.

Glad to hear your coming back to the growing scene. I'm new here myself, but I have been doing research for a while myself. So happy that I took my time to learn before hand and this site is just amazing!! I'm using CFL's for my grow, so I would be of very little hep to the first question.

For your second question, that's right up my alley. Sort of. I worked in restaurants for years before I became disabled and would frequently buy my CO2 for the soda machines locally as I could usually get a better price. You could just tell them your welding first and foremost. They really don't ask too many questions usually though. You could also tell them you have a home bar and need it for the soda dispenser. I think you'll find that they don't really care. Unless you live like in that place where they filmed Deliverance...lol

Hope that helps at least a little. Good luck on the grow and keep on toking!!

~K~:Namaste::welcome::goodluck::ciao:

Thanks for the comeback and confirms my story, just wanna be ready with a quick answer in case of a nosy arse. Not quite deliverance country, at least they have all their teeth in these parts. Got some crippy sitting there taunting me but having to go through a cleanse for annual ua next week, truly sux, becoming a total alcy on the pirate whiskey for now, aargh...

I have 2 Apollo GL100 units for my grow. Fixing to move seedlings from 200 watt cfl's to 300 watt led until flowering. I thoroughly checked both lights when they arrived, nothing is loose and I can't seem to find a single thing wrong with them. Thought about taking the casing off to take a look at the inside and really see what's what. If you have any questions or want updates once the the move is made I would be more than happy to help :)

As far as Co2 goes... I'm determining how I will introduce Co2 into the environment as well. Leaning towards designing a tray and using dry ice. Should keep the temps reasonable while the fans are off but high enough so that the plant is really breathing and drinking.

Prec the input TWave, read some reviews picking apollo over I power, of course plenty negative people, ahh, reviews too. Leaning that way for now.i good luck with the LED grow.

Back
Top Bottom