No Evidence For Vilifying Hemp

PFlynn

I am proud and honored that McDougal recognizes North Dakota farmers as solid citizens; however, to state that marijuana has any correlation to the efforts by me and everyone I have to date come in contact with is sorely mistaken. I personally will have nothing to do with legalization of pot.

To suppose that marijuana can be planted inside a field of industrial hemp and achieve any degree of so-called recreational high is again misleading. Far more likely would be to grow pot inside a corn field.

Coleman's assertion that our nation's legislators have been swindled by past drug proponents is intriguing, to say the least. In order to make this assertion, you have to assume that the governor of North Dakota has been duped, along with the attorney general, agriculture commissioner, vast majority of both houses of the Legislature and many learned professors with degrees longer than can be printed here.

North Dakota is known as a state with hard-working people who are respected for their ingenuity and integrity. Coleman's assertions are akin to the idiocy put forth in the article about the Buffalo Commons as written by Frank and Deborah Poppers in 1987 about our drier upper Midwest plains not being sustainable for agriculture.

If industrial hemp is not a profitable rotational crop well-suited to North Dakota, then why have our state's legislators and governmental leaders supported legalization of industrial hemp for the past 10 years?

Further, if industrial hemp is as readily available from other sources across the world as they presume, then freight must be free to get it to domestic markets.

I look forward to farming in a new era of alternative opportunity.

When the stigma of marijuana has been separated from industrial hemp, then the creative talents of bright minds across our great nation will truly shine with new and innovative ideas.

Source: Bismarck Tribune (ND)
Copyright: 2008 Bismarck Tribune

Back
Top Bottom