Oakland Cannabis Workers Join Union

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Medical marijuana workers including those from Oaksterdam University have agreed to join the United Food & Commercial Workers Local 5.

The union represents employees in retail, agriculture, food processing and patient care industries.

About 100 workers from the Oaksterdam, an institution that teaches people how to grow medical marijuana, along with employees from cannabis vendors such as the Blue Sky Coffee Shop, Bulldog Café and the Patient ID Center, voted to join the union.

Votes are still being reviewed from workers at iGrow, a supplier of cannabis growing materials, and Agri-Med, an urban greenhouse facility.

The workers and the union plan to hold a press conference Friday in Oakland that will feature Oakland City Council member and possible mayoral candidate Rebecca Kaplan and other local leaders.

Kaplan has publicly supported the medical marijuana industry for its potential to boost tax revenue in Oakland, which faces significant budget problems.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: bizjournals.com
Author: Blanca Torres
Copyright: 2010 American City Business Journals, Inc.
Website: Oakland cannabis workers join union - San Francisco Business Times

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Unions already getting involved? I'm not sure this is a good thing. I like the idea of the potential political power this will bring to the cause. On the other hand, Unions will not be in it for the good of the purpose but only the good of the Union. :hmmmm:

Unions already getting involved? I'm not sure this is a good thing. I like the idea of the potential political power this will bring to the cause. On the other hand, Unions will not be in it for the good of the purpose but only the good of the Union. :hmmmm:

You have got your facts perfectly stated. All the union will be concerned about are check off dues and quarterly dues once they initiate you in. It seem's to be a problem with unions lately. Workers aren't working but they still want them dues. And are taking on new members all the time so the BA's are guaranteed a paycheck at the end of the week. I have worked union all my life and now find myself reconsidering my stance as to how good of a position it really is. I haven't worked much in 2.5 years due to the economy. And at my locals monthly meetings, I have watched 6 not to be racist non english speaking people from south of the border be sworn in to my local. And they work everyday! I think someone is getting their pockets stuffed. Don't let your companies go this route unless you want more hands being held at you during payday.

Not all unions are the same.

Agreed, not all Unions are the same but they all share the same inherent responsibility to protect the employee first and the industry second.

Not all unions are the same.

You are right, I am just urked at the way our's is being ran. I hope it is the right move for them. And they do get the protection you have mentioned. Must have been a dry day when I wrote that. Just a little rage build up, but I am better now. lol:peace:

Back
Top Bottom