Obama Administration's Quiet Reversal On Marijuana Raids

MedicalNeed

When Barack Obama took office, his administration promised to revisit the marijuana-enforcement policies of the Bush administration, especially on drug raids in states with limited legalization. If they have changed anything, it hasn't been to stop the raids, but they have made one significant change: the Department of Justice has stopped talking about them. The Daily Caller reports that raids are continuing in states like Colorado and California, but not the press releases:

Despite campaign promises to the contrary, the Department of Justice under President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder hasn't stopped raiding marijuana dispensaries operating in states where sale of the drug is legal for medical purposes. But the DOJ has demonstrated one marked change now that it's under Democratic control: The department has stopped publicizing medical marijuana raids, both by requesting that more cases be sealed under court order and by refusing to distribute press releases.

Late last week, DEA and FBI agents raided five medical marijuana dispensaries in Nevada. In July, DEA agents raided the home of 65-year-old Mendocino County, California, grower Joy Greenfield and confiscated plants, money, and her computer. Also in July, DEA agents raided the home of a couple in Michigan who were licensed by the state to use marijuana, as well as three medical marijuana dispensaries in San Diego. In Januaryand February of this year, the DEA raided two medical marijuana research labs in Colorado.

In all of the above cases, the DEA and the U.S. Attorneys' offices issued no press releases and held no press conferences. The websites for DEA and the U.S. Attorneys' offices in Detroit, Denver, Northern California, and Los Angeles (which also handles cases in Nevada) make no mention of the above dispensary raids, but do feature news releases for raids, arrests, and investigations involving harder drugs, as well marijuana trafficking, which is illegal in all states.

One reason that the cases don't get much publicity is that the DoJ has been requesting that courts seal records in the cases:

The increasing use of court orders to seal records strikes some drug reformers as a politicization of the justice system. They point to the fact that the DEA made no arrests in the case of the two labs shut down in Colorado, in the five dispensary raids in Nevada, or in the case of 65-year-old Joy Greenfield, and yet every single case was sealed under court order.

According to Courtney, "If there was a reason to protect an informant, if information was going to be put out that was going to damage the investigation, they would seal it." When asked if it was unusual to request a court-ordered seal for a case where there were no arrests, a top DOJ official said that "it is not unusual to have cases sealed even if there aren't related arrests."

How people feel about this probably relates directly to their feeling about marijuana legalization. Those who oppose it will likely feel happy to see this Obama promise go unfulfilled. Those who want legalization, or at least federal decriminalization, will find this to be another betrayal of Obama's campaign commitments. While never a major campaign issue, Obama's stance on ending drug raids in these states gave his supporters an argument for Obama's supposed libertarian streak.

The reality, though, is exactly the opposite. Even if one supports these drug raids, the increasing secrecy surrounding them is hardly a healthy development, although the Daily Caller doesn't provide many statistics to prove that trend. There may be good reasons to seal case records; in fact, one could think of more than a few good reasons on a case-by-case basis. However, if indeed this is becoming the rule, then it prompts the question as to whether the case in fact warrants such secrecy or whether the Department of Justice would rather have these raids fly under the radar.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Hot Air
Author: posted at 2:55 pm on September 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey
Copyright: 2006-2010 Hot Air
Website:Hot Air » Obama administration's quiet reversal on marijuana raids

That's Obama in the political game smile in your face say one thing and do what Bush would do. Now in fairness who knows what really caused some of these raids.....I do know not everyone is a model citizen and they will push the limits on anything if given the chance. Not all grows are good and some are really run by organized crime, sell to kids, whatever.

Really what is dangerous is this game the DOJ plays with peoples lives over a plant.....???
I have personally witnessed police falsify records of traffic accidents involving other officers. These corporations can rip us off every which way and I can't grow some pot to ease my stress......and were supposed obey based on what.

If I looked around and corporations weren't killing us all, with the blessing of the federal government I might take them at least a little seriously. Around every corner is some bullshit, shit probably 90% of the population has mild depression, arthritis, digestive issues, chronic pain, or insomnia. Just based on that cannabis should be legal. Technically I'm saving my health insurance company money and a lot of it.

Obama I'm going to say this one time you better wise up and get with what got you here!
Or you will be out in 2012!!

Quit listening to your clowns they have absolutely no idea what Americans want. They want jobs and here is a market that's ready to go "Shovel Ready Project" infrastructure is already in place and the market SHIT what are you doing you fools.

He is a politician. They go with the tides of the most popular at any given time. All their decisions are poll driven unless they are a lame duck. Obama needs to serve a second term and if there is anything he wants to do that is controversial it will happen on the second term.

The best politician in the world is also the world's best sell out. That is what it is all about.

I'm with you they're all sell outs that's why I can't believe they would pass on this......and your right on, with the second term comment as well he has to much going on right now they would think he was crazy right now and try to impeach or continue to stall and lie lie lie it would be pointless for him right now.

Back
Top Bottom