Odour control with tent and charcoal filter

4 in filter is too small for a 4*4. Depending on how high of static pressure the fan is rated for it's likely too small as well.

A filter will reduce rated fan cfm output by 30-60%. I suggest at least a 6 in filter.

I use 8*24 filters for my 4*4 tents

I have a 4x4x6.5 tent. And I use a 4” 200 cfm on low for veg, and medium for flower. With carbon filter reduction and 2 bends in my ducting. I’m around 100cfm. Given my 104 cubic foot space. That means I’m getting a full exchange once per minute. And it keeps all my numbers in check. All the reading I’ve done seemed to suggest having a full exchange between 1-3 minutes is ideal.

I had a 6” fan and filter, and found it was way too strong even on low. I was struggling to keep my humidity up, cause the tent couldn’t retain any air fast enough. Going to a 4”, fixed that right up.

I can’t imagine an 8” inch being needed. We must have greatly different source environments!

I have a 4x4x6.5 tent. And I use a 4” 200 cfm on low for veg, and medium for flower. With carbon filter reduction and 2 bends in my ducting. I’m around 100cfm. Given my 104 cubic foot space. That means I’m getting a full exchange once per minute. And it keeps all my numbers in check. All the reading I’ve done seemed to suggest having a full exchange between 1-3 minutes is ideal.

I had a 6” fan and filter, and found it was way too strong even on low. I was struggling to keep my humidity up, cause the tent couldn’t retain any air fast enough. Going to a 4”, fixed that right up.

I can’t imagine an 8” inch being needed. We must have greatly different source environments!

It's far easier to run a fan below it's maximum capacity than it is to run beyond that.

My tents are quite full, the plants add all the humidity I can deal with. That's two tents on a single 8" fan that ties into my Central air return

Ambient environment in the room with the tents is usually 70°f 50% rh winter time the Rh is closer to 35%

I have a 5x5 and my 4" fan and filter will suck in the sides hard even on low with multiple intakes open. Get the right fan and you will be good, no need for some monster fan that will be ducting just to outside the tent. If you have neg pressure your fan is probably just fine. What else is in the room with the tent? Is there any way you can duct it to vent outside? Perhaps to a window? That's ultimately the best answer. With the same air constantly cycling in a room you eventually smell some over time without a lot of fresh air cycling in. If you have AC keep that running and buy a charcoal filter on amazon for the air intake and keep the rooms door open. If not think about window fans or something to push/pull air from the room. And like was said keep good negative pressure on the tent, and really try to rig up a vent to the outside. A dryer vent to outside is pretty simple and doesn't look weird. Or do a window vent that just looks like a portable ac exhaust vent and then get a sound insulating exhaust host on amazon for out of the tent and the air going out will be silent and the air will be going out so no smell inside and since it's fresh air going thru once, no smell outside and no noise.

I have a 5x5 and my 4" fan and filter will suck in the sides hard even on low with multiple intakes open. Get the right fan and you will be good, no need for some monster fan that will be ducting just to outside the tent. If you have neg pressure your fan is probably just fine. What else is in the room with the tent? Is there any way you can duct it to vent outside? Perhaps to a window? That's ultimately the best answer. With the same air constantly cycling in a room you eventually smell some over time without a lot of fresh air cycling in. If you have AC keep that running and buy a charcoal filter on amazon for the air intake and keep the rooms door open. If not think about window fans or something to push/pull air from the room. And like was said keep good negative pressure on the tent, and really try to rig up a vent to the outside. A dryer vent to outside is pretty simple and doesn't look weird. Or do a window vent that just looks like a portable ac exhaust vent and then get a sound insulating exhaust host on amazon for out of the tent and the air going out will be silent and the air will be going out so no smell inside and since it's fresh air going thru once, no smell outside and no noise.

Keep in mind when venting outside your going to pull your house into negative pressure which is undesirable. The more air you push outside the more air will be pulled in through your windows and doors.

And no indoor odor problems to worry about. Pick your battles I suppose, but that would be a lot easier than eliminating all smell and moisture dumped out from the tent. Also depending on how you vent to the outside doesn't mean the whole thing will be airtight or how you might use a window to vent out that would direct away and allow a bit of fresh outside back in from the opposite. Or spend the $ and run the ac with a carbon filter and that would probably be enough to get him by for the party. Easy enough to test ahead of time too.

You folks are all awesome. I've found that closing the lower vents helps a lot. Negative pressure. Keep learning.

Keep in mind when venting outside your going to pull your house into negative pressure which is undesirable. The more air you push outside the more air will be pulled in through your windows and doors.

I do this purposely. I have a specific intake on my third floor. And it has to draw all the way to the basement. Along its path, it encounters 3 separate hepa filtration units to remove any particulate. This way, no matter the season I’m getting air that’s not too hot or cold. And it always has reasonably fresh air. And the tent air is constantly cycled outside my grow.

Back
Top Bottom