Ohio: Prosecutor Joe Deters Says He Supports Marijuana Legalization

Jacob Redmond

Hamilton County's Joe Deters, one of the state's most hard-nosed prosecutors, says he favors legalization of marijuana in Ohio.

"You can't turn your back on it. This is coming across the country. The key is how to regulate it," Deters, a Republican, said today in an interview with The Dispatch.

On Monday, Deters announced he agreed to work with ResponsibleOhio, the group backing a marijuana legalization constitutional issue for the fall ballot, to establish a task force to study the impact of legalization. But he stopped short of supporting legalization.

However, Deters, today said that he has been "discussing privately for over a decade how useless these marijuana laws are" and decided regulation is preferable to legal prohibition. He said enforcing current marijuana laws is "a major waste of resources for law enforcement" and unfairly penalizes blacks in the criminal justice system.

"You can walk out of your office right now and buy some marijuana in 10 minutes and the money's going to bad guys instead of local schools and government funds," he said.

"I don't smoke marijuana. In college, I did try it once but I hated it," he said.

Deters said legalizing pot would mean it would be "controlled, monitored and taxed. It would be much safer."

He acknowledged he is concerned about the potential problem of impaired drivers using marijuana. "I want to make sure we can handle that."

The prosecutor said he is not necessarily supporting the ResponsibleOhio proposal which calls for establishing 10 investment partnerships to operate marijuana growing farms around the state. Sales of marijuana would be taxed, with proceeds going primarily to local government.

Deters said he is receiving no "payback," financial or otherwise, for his support of legalization.

His position puts Deters, who served as state treasurer from 1999 to 2004, at odds with all current non-judicial statewide officeholders, including Gov. John Kasich, who oppose legalization.

Marcie Seidel, executive director of Drug Free Action Alliance, said he was "beyond surprised" at Deters' position. "I have no idea what it is he's basing this on. Legalization doesn't do anything to promote the well-being of our society."

"People want to make this whole thing go away are grasping at straws," she said. "Drugs are not dangerous because they're illegal. They're illegal because they're dangerous."

ResponsibleOhio has not shied away from seeking support in unlikely places.

For instance, they are trying to get the Fraternal Order of Police of Ohio to at least remain neutral in the campaign for the November ballot issue.

Union President Jay McDonald says ResponsibleOhio has not won him over, but he will let FOP delegates decide what to do during their annual convention June 29 and 30 in Cincinnati.

"I can't imagine an endorsement," he said. "We'll either oppose it or be neutral."

In the meantime, McDonald has directed a side-by-side study of the Ohio proposal with those that passed in Colorado and Oregon to present at the convention.

"I have no doubt that ResponsibleOhio will be on the ballot," he said.

The FOP chief said the pro-pot group's ads will emphasize medicinal marijuana, which he says seems to underscore the possibility that the legislature will attempt to pre-empt the issue by passing its own measure allowed tightly regulated medicinal use.

Robert Cornwell, executive director of the Buckeye State Sheriffs' Association, said his organization has not been approached by supporters of the marijuana initiative, perhaps because it has made its stance clear.

"We will oppose the legalization of marijuana. Our board made that clear in March," he said.

"It's currently listed as narcotic and we do not support its legalization due to things it does to individuals who smoke it," such as driving under the influence and contributing to other illegal activities, Cornwell said.

14044.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters says he supports marijuana legalization | The Columbus Dispatch
Author: Alan Johnson
Photo Credit: The Enquirer/Carrie Cochran
Website: The Columbus Dispatch | Central Ohio News, Sports, Arts & Classifieds

Back
Top Bottom