Ok lets start over

Hi again,I am new to this site and have posted once to no replies,which was more likely my fault as I did not read rules,sorry again.I posted a question about a project I had with a buddy of mine.It turns out we have different opinions on how it should operate.being the room is at his house,instead of losing a good friend I have took it upon myself to do a small closet grow.I guess what Im asking is if there is anyone who may be able to take a little time to help a fellow grower.I am not totally ignorant when it comes to growing but I know I will run in to some problems along the way and any information is going to help,as I am going at this one alone,and on a budget.I am a very handy guy so I think with some good ideas and good info I will be able create some nice looking plants.I have built this closet grow 1000 times in my head and am going to do my best to make my closet the best I can afford.My space to work with is 3 x 4 x 7 . This will be only for flowering as I have access to clones that have already veg, and ready to go soon as I am.So far I have managed to get electric to closet by drilling a hole through closet wall to an outlet on wall outside of closet.I simply loosened the outlet a ran wire through, installed the outlet back and put an outside outlet box cover to prevent from being unplugged.I have also painted walls with a white primer but has a little shine to it so I will be going back over it with flat white,or does mylar make that much of a difference?I will be putting white plastic down on carpet.I am going this weekend to purchase light.I am thinking a 400 watt hps will do the job,as I am only going to do 3 to 4 plants at a time.I hope to find one for 100 or so.If anyone has any suggestions on where I can get one ,It would be very helpful,or any suggestions at all would be great.
IMG_1786_1_.JPG
IMG_1787_1_.JPG
IMG_1785_1_.JPG

Hi Jimmy6k - :welcome:
Nice start! Good work on getting electricity to the closet. Keep an eye on the total amount of 'things' on the circuit. Daisy chaining can lead to overload. Peak at the breaker box and count the number of outlets on that circuit and what all is connected to those outlets. That number plus what your adding with this closet, depending on your grow type and accessories will determine if you need to make adjustments. Mylar would be the best to maximize light in this small space for flowering, white would be your next best bet. Good luck and keep up updated on how it is going.

Hi Brewloc,It is good to have someone with some feedback.:thumb:I thought about the amount of power I will be using,I think it will be ok for light and some small fans,but I do have easy access to the attic which I can tap in to on a different breaker.Tho I am not a certified electrician I do know how to do so.I am thinking I would have to for a inline exhaust.Let me ask you this,would air being pulled from my attic be fresh air or should I try and run duct in to a window in the attic.

I would think attic is not fresh air, but then that may depend on your location environment and season. Usually the attic is the hottest part of the house and that would not be good to introduce into the grow area, because you will then have to address the temperature issue. Intaking from the attic window will still leave you open to the outside temperature fluctuation. Most will pull from inside the house at the floor level and then exhaust out the attic. What are you plans for exhausting? What about light proofing? When you are inside the closet with the lights off, can you see light bleeding in from the outside? Need to think of a way to get an intake from a connecting room that is climate controlled and make that light proof. Exhaust out the top into the attic or attic window, depending on if your going to filter or not.

I am in NY it is cold now,so I imagine pulling cold air in would not be good and in the summer ,air would be to hot.On the back side of my closet leads to another little closet.Do you think pulling air from there would good?Its only a closet and I have no problem putting a hole through the wall to the other closet and maybe a small vent on the closet I am pulling air from.As for light tight the only light I can see is coming from under the door if I get down and put my head to the floor,can be taken care of pretty easily.

So I was at work and had a vision.I have 2 of these shop fans,pictured below.What do you think?I think take the handle off and seal it as tight as I can,so I can draw as much air from 6 inch hole.As far as the front of the fan,I can fabricate something nice,clean and some what hidden.I will leave the the outlets and speed control open.Of course I will clean the fans real good as they have sheetrock dust on them.If that would work,maybe a couple of yeast,sugar bottles in the fresh air closet dropping co2 on fan intake.So what do you think?

Yup that would work. One for intake and one for exhaust in the attic. Might be able to do just the one in the attic with the vacuum effect it will create, but either way you will be moving plenty of air with those! :thumb: Check out the DIY section for some ideas on a carbon filter you could put in the attic to kill the smell.

Hey,brew I'm glad to hear back and that you think this will work.As soon as It I read it I had another vision but I want to try and make a very clear some what of a blueprint before I do any fabrication and see if you see anything wrong with it and where I can improve on somethings.But as I have seen some closet grows online I haven't seen one like I'm thinking of trying.I'm going to look around and see if I can find anything close to what I'm thinking.I will def post back as soon as I think I have a very descriptive way to explain it to you.Thanks again.:420:

OK,I have changed my mind again.I was thinking of doing a crazy pvc pipe vent system but,I think I would be jumping the gun on a first grow.Also I want to go to get started,so I did not do a A1 computerized blueprint,I did a quick sketch.My old lady thinks I'm nuts for posting, as it looks like a like a kid drew it.I assure you I am not.I just want to get started and get some materials,and get it going.Its not going to happen over night because of a lack of cash ,As you will see through the process of this grow,it will be relatively cheap and very effective.I hope.I don't like to spend money unless needed,so a lot of this grow is going to be fabricated.At lease the vent system.I know there are somethings that can not be fab,lights,feed,medium,etc.Paycheck to paycheck until I hit lotto,:yahoo:.Ok let me try to explain what is going on in sketch.The fan in fresh air closet will pull air from my living room which has a window about 5 feet from it that I can open when weather is right and want to bring in a little extra CO 2.Quick question about that do you think that would increase my chance on insect problem.I live in a rural area,and the window is about 25 foot high as I'm on 2nd floor.So then the air pushed through wall and down the back corner of closet and the across bottom wall,tight against base molding which is about 2 inches wide and that would give me the space I need for the lip on the 2x12 floor registers I want to use on my platform.Picture shows 4x10 but 2x12 are cheaper.Then air is sucked up threw the light platform and from light and pushed in to a diy carbon filter.:thumb:Thanks brew.
012452.JPG

Great drawing!! :goodjob:
Not real sure on the insect question. Clean the closets and pre-treat and should be fine. Here is a quick link to a bug prevention post.
I think switching the fan and the filter so the air is pulled through the filter and out would work best.
You light will be fixed height so you will need to plan on lifting your plants up and then lowering them as they stretch so they are always at optimum height. Should not be too hard.
I think this looks good!:bravo:

Yup that would work. One for intake and one for exhaust in the attic. Might be able to do just the one in the attic with the vacuum effect it will create, but either way you will be moving plenty of air with those! :thumb: Check out the DIY section for some ideas on a carbon filter you could put in the attic to kill the smell.

brewloc's right I love the Vacuum Effect works great in my tent :D ive only got one exhaust fan w/Filter and one rotating fan for the plants for my 1.5x1.5x2m tent

That depends on the kind of light. Cool tube needs to be vented. If you get that then you will need two, one for the enclosed light and then one for the area to move air out. If its just a reflector then one will do. Cross that road when you get your light.
Are you saying put the filter inline before it goes in to fan?
Yes, you want to pull the air out of the room, through the filter. So the air coming out the fan on the end will be clean. Essentially creating a vacuum.

I am not really sure. You may need to wait and see what temps your working with once the light is installed to determine that.
*Either way it should work well.*

Back
Top Bottom