on a sponge?

420MILENKo420

i was told by someone who grew alot of bud b4 that u can use sponges as a medium and that u cankeep stacking sponges and feed the plants nutes that way...i have a question has any1 tryed this?

im talking about a householes sponge and i said the same thing to him and he said that the roots adapted and set into the sponge...seeing as u can grow weed upside down to get big buds i dont see why how it could not be true...seein as clay is hard to penatrait but little ass flowers can to it no probelm...

At one of the local hydro stores in my area they have these strips of foam blocks - like rockwool slabs - but they are made out of regular old mattress foam.

I asked the guys about them out of curiosity - they laughed and said those had been in the store for like 8 years collecting dust. They were the "old" style of hydro slabs - I guess they had problems disintegrating and getting all mushy.

Now - a regular old kitchen sponge may be a bit tougher than mattress foam. But they are also pre-treated with all kinds of chemicals that will kill your plants. If you were to wash them out as thorougly as would require, they would probably disintegrate as well...

Natural sponge would probably work well for seed germination IMO.. Rapid Rooters are just another kind of man-made "natural" sponge anyway...

Peace
MC

Lots of people root clones in rockwool, which is close to sponges.
Not so much today, but people used to do their entire grows in hydro/rockwool. The rockwool slabs came in varying sizes with a cut-out in the center so when the plant outgrew 1 slab that could be set into a bigger one.
I root my clones in Oasis cubes, like rockwool but better pH, but have never done a complete grow in them.

This is why I don't like the sponge idea... If you've ever washed dishes with them and left them wet, you know they get a horrible musty odor to them. This cannot be good.

Back
Top Bottom