OR: Voters Clear On Marijuana Tax

Katelyn Baker

Voters left no doubt Nov. 8 about their views on whether marijuana retailers in The Dalles should pay an extra tax.

As results of the general election came in, it soon became clear there was a landslide of support for Measure 33-89 in the city of The Dalles, a ballot measure that imposes a 3 percent city tax on "marijuana retailer's sale of marijuana items."

The measure provides for a 3 percent tax on sales of marijuana, and the latest unofficial vote totals from the Wasco County Elections Department show the measure overwhelmingly approved. The unofficial ballot count was Yes: 4,742 votes (74 percent); No: 1,636 votes (25 percent).

The tax was allowed by the Oregon Legislature in 2015. In the wake of voters' passage of a ballot measure that legalized the sale of recreational marijuana, cities were allowed to impose a tax of up to 3 percent on "marijuana concentrates, extracts, edibles and other products intended for human consumption and use."

The tax applies to recreational marijuana only, not medicinal marijuana.

According to The Dalles City Manager Julie Krueger, the city is likely to begin collecting the tax at the start of 2017.

"I believe the effective date is in January, but the legal and finance departments will work on the policy," Krueger said. "It could be collected locally, or the city could choose to have an agreement with the state to collect it. Those details will be worked out in the next month."

The city has the option of having the Oregon Department of Revenue collect the tax for the city. Krueger said the revenue will probably go into the city's general fund, adding that the city does not have any forecast yet regarding how much revenue the city may see from the new tax.

Mayor Steve Lawrence said city officials have a good idea regarding how the money will be spent.

"I think we preliminarily discussed using most of it for education and law enforcement," Lawrence said.

Support for the tax on marijuana sales came from an unlikely source.

Norm Brock, owner of Columbia River Herbals at 609 E. Second Street downtown, said he supported the tax.

"I think it's good," Brock said. "The purpose is to put it toward good programs, education programs; something I think will help our city. I see nothing but good with it as long as the stewards of those funds use it appropriately."

At this point, the measure's passage will have an impact on just one business — Brock's Columbia River Herbals, currently the only marijuana retailer in The Dalles.

However, Brock said he is aware of at least two other applicants seeking to start sales of recreational marijuana within the city.

And Brock himself is working to open a second marijuana shop in The Dalles.

He is in the process of purchasing the old Arby's building at 2630 W. Sixth Street, and he hopes to open the store in March or April.

"We think it's a good location," Brock explained. "We've been cleaning it up and will be turning it into another dispensary. We expect to close on it in a few weeks."

Brock added that the existing location on East Second Street is not going away.

"We're committed to being here," he said

Specifics as to how the tax revenues will be spent will be an upcoming decision for members of the city council.

weed85.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Voters Clear On Marijuana Tax
Author: Jesse Burkhardt
Photo Credit: Jesse Burkhardt

Back
Top Bottom