Organic deterrent for slugs and snails?

Phillybonker

I know there is slug & snail baits available but I'm uncertain what effect this would have on soil microbes and I'm doing an organic grow. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows a organic solution to kill or deter slugs and snail?

I know there is slug & snail baits available but I'm uncertain what effect this would have on soil microbes and I'm doing an organic grow. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows a organic solution to kill or deter slugs and snail?
Howdy do, we used to suffer badly from them in the veggy plot. We placed half inch copper pipes around the beds. The slugs and snails won't climb over the copper, there is a scientific reason why, but It goes way over my head; they are extremely sensitive to the copper and that's as much as I know. You can observe them trying to climb on it, then they turn around and leg it away...

A pan full of beer (or several) works pretty good, sink it down a little in the surrounding soil so it’s easy for them to get to. Another method is pour a line of diatomaceous earth around the plant, that will kill or at least deter snails/slugs.
Thanks for the tips:)

Just about anything that is a Slug Bait means it will attract slugs and snails and then kill them. The poison is mixed into the bait. The slug is attracted, eats the bait and is killed by the poison. Any bait that is not eaten will eventually be absorbed by the soil and most likely that is bad for the soil microorganisms.

I have not had any problem with slugs. The slugs eat older wood and are part of the organic cycle. And their waste helps feed the soil which feeds your plants. I just let them hang out and have not noticed any damage on the Cannabis plants which are in pots on the patio or hidden from view in the garden since they tend to eat dead and decomposing matter. But I did do some looking up using the keywords "organic slug deterrent" on a search engine.

Spread used coffee grounds around the area. The slugs do not like crawling over the grounds plus the caffine will deter them. Using the grounds to make a batch of coffee will deter and kill slugs.
Spread crushed egg shells, sand or Diatomaceous Earth which cuts and injures the slugs/snails. Some of them will leave the area and the rest die.
Use nematodes. Buy the right nematodes for the job and mix according to instructions. Then water area around the plant. The nematodes will kill the slugs.
Do not use insecticides on the lawn. This makes the lawn more attractive to the slugs and they will go there to eat dead blades of grass, etc instead of crawling around the Cannabis plants.
Do not kill off beneficial insects which attract certain birds and small animals which will also eat the slugs.
Plant selected herbs in the area. Check the list for herbs that discourage slugs/snails from being in the area. Rosemary is a good one since it also deters insects including Mites.

Oh this ol chestnut :green_heart:

Copper piping works... science is, slug slime VS copper = electric shock.

Yup gotta love nature 'n' sizzle :thumb:

Also wool, ye that stuff ya get of sheep Baa, ba, Ba... I'm sure they have made a product for this... but where in the hell can you get this from... In the world !

Ebay

Back
Top Bottom