Electric slug barrier - cheap and easy for outdoor grows

Don't know if a thread has been done on this before...but here goes anyway:

I am doing an outdoor grow up in the pacific northwest this year. We have warm summers with very long days that are great for growing...but we have hoards of slugs! Some slugs up here can grow up to 16" long and will decimate your plants. So I've been doing some research into the best slug repellents.

I found an idea for a great barrier that is very cheap and very effective. It is virtually maintenance free, and will stop slugs every time.

How to make it:
-Basically, all you need to do is run 2 parallel wires around your plant container about 1" apart.

-Then connect one wire to the '+' side of a 9volt battery, and the other wire to the '-' side of the battery

and that's it...you're done!! When the slug starts sliming up your plant container, and tries to cross the barrier they will get zapped! NO slugs will cross the barrier and feast on your favorite plants!

Here is a pic of the prototype I made:
Very simple and effective!

CanonRebel_1661.PNG

I hope this easy DIY will keep many outdoor growers slug free this season!!
Any comments are welcome! :peace: - Conquering

Super idea! '
How much better does it work than a passive anti slug/snail copper tape? Does corrosion still build up, and if so does it negatively reduce the effectiveness?

I wonder if for the nonguerrilla farmers, one could use a rechargeable solar light (with light removed of course) to power it?

SB...the difference between this and the passive copper tape is huge. With the passive copper tape, I've found that most slugs will still cross the barrier even though they don't like the copper. With the electric barrier, they will give a try and get zapped, sometimes it's a big enough jolt to make them completely fall off the container. I visited my grow today, and was very happy to find that my plant was completely slug free even though EVERY single plant and bush in the immediate area had numerous slugs attached to them. We've had a few inches of rain in the last few days, so I was a little worried if the rain would somehow ruin the electric barrier...but it still works perfectly.

As far as corrosion affecting the effectiveness of the barrier...I'm not sure. I haven't been using it for long enough for that to be a problem. By the end of this season's grow, I should have a better answer for you. My guess is that in a 5 or 6 month growing season, copper wire won't have enough time to corrode to the point to affect the useability of the barrier.

Also, your idea of a solar powered electric barrier sounds great. I'm sure that it would work great.

Thanks bro!

Might need to try this for my GF's very small veggie garden in a raised bed. We were going to get the tape, but if this is that much more effective, we will probably go the electrified route...maybe we'll even hook it up to 110 AC. (-Kidding:D ) ... add a little garlic butter and, mmm, freshly roasted escargot!

But really, I wonder what a few hundred cold cranking amps from a decent car battery does to a slug?

Might need to try this for my GF's very small veggie garden in a raised bed. We were going to get the tape, but if this is that much more effective, we will probably go the electrified route...maybe we'll even hook it up to 110 AC. (-Kidding:D ) ... add a little garlic butter and, mmm, freshly roasted escargot!

But really, I wonder what a few hundred cold cranking amps from a decent car battery does to a slug?

HA! The car battery would roast em for sure! That might be a little too much though...wouldn't want you to accidentally roast yourself while tending to the garden.

I will be putting one around my vegetable garden too. It is such a great way to keep those little f**kers out.

:thumb:

this is great my girl keeps cryin saying slugs are eating her irises outside also will have to wire it up. damn slugs already ate one & it died.

goin to toss a few ladies outdoors so will try also.

Back
Top Bottom