Outdoor Oregon backyard grow!

I have cola envy. Everyone's buds are looking incredible. This weather should be great over the next few days as well. Keep bloomin'.
Moss, your plants are looking really great and I bet in the next month, if even that long, and you'll be amazed with their finishing! Two of my plants bloomed early and it really diminished my yield. So i guess there are trade offs.

Good Work! Keep us updated.

good to hear you've got a game plan annjulieah. I'd love to see a pic or 2 or 3 posted up here! welcome to the forum by the way... another option to consider is harvesting your plant in different stages. you may take one branch a little early, one branch right on, and so forth. I see this being beneficial if you've got a plant you know the strain of, and have an interest in growing again. then you know the time frame you need to harvest in with that exact strain and can replicate that exactly in future grows. just a simple suggestion. I'm by no means an expert. thanks for stopping by and posting the encouraging words. I wish you the best of luck on your current grow!
Hey Mudrunner and All,
I used your entire post to quote because it turns out I should've listened to your advice and cut some samples earlier. After one day of not checking trichomes, my C99 is more than 10% amber so tomorrow I'm getting up before dawn and harvesting the top at least. This evening I'll check more trichomes from the middle of the plant but at least half will be cut.

I've grown attached to these girls and as much as I look forward to a good product, hopefully, it's sorta hard to cut her down.

Happy Harvest Everyone :cheesygrinsmiley:

Moss - Great time for this question. Because I knew how early my girls started flowering, and then learned my C99 is an early finisher for Sativas, I stopped her nutes about 9 days ago and have worried I quit feeding too early. Each time I watered with clear water I did very deep watering with plenty of run-off.

I hope it was enough because her top colas, (probably more like buds after trimming), are ready! I was only feeding organics towards the end so I'm just crossing my fingers she's adequately flushed. I'm only harvesting the top half so the rest will have at least one more clear watering. I also stopped nutes for my Cinderella's Dream but she's not as far along. Perhaps I'm too early but as a beginner I was careful to use nutes sparingly.

This really is the fun part! Keep the updates coming and I'll post a final pic of C99 soon. I'm hoping to enjoy thick terpines early tomorrow morning. They say C99 is fruity but this girl smells like a pine tree along with some dank. :thumb:

Good luck with the harvest! Have you read the "bud washing" thread yet? Seems simple and advisable. I certainly see a lot of grit and debris when I look through the scope, so It's something I'm going to try. Still waiting to see some amber trichomes on mine.

Good luck with the harvest! Have you read the "bud washing" thread yet? Seems simple and advisable. I certainly see a lot of grit and debris when I look through the scope, so It's something I'm going to try. Still waiting to see some amber trichomes on mine.
jddrews - Yes, the bud washing thread makes total sense to me if the trichomes aren't damaged and they seem to be fine in those pics. I didn't wash the first branches I harvested because I didn't have the buckets set up but I think I'm going to use it for the rest of my harvest. I'll be able to compare unwashed to washed. I wonder if all the commercial growers do this but I'd guess not. I might start asking when buying at the dispensary.

I know I'm ahead of you guys with the Cindy's but I thought I'd share my first harvest experience. I got up before sunrise to harvest because of what I've read about terpines accumulating overnight. Since my girls always smell strongest in the morning early harvest seemed the way to go.

First, I've agonized about the optimal harvest window. Because I was shooting for Sativa daytime meds I wanted to harvest early but not too early of course. I'm haunted by a tip for beginners that I read elsewhere which said something like when you think it's time to harvest, wait a week. Now I'm seeing notable amber on C's Dream and I don't think I should wait. The buds don't seem to be getting larger and I don't want to see more amber.

Manicuring was something I didn't think about much because a long time ago when I was in school, I helped out manicuring for a grower. But... that was old school style. When I first saw video on the news showing today's manicuring style I had the same reaction many of us older folks had. WHY are they cutting off some of the best stuff, (sugar leaves)? Then i learned about concentrates which explained things.

So, I had my first experience manicuring and decided I'm going to try some of my buds old style. I'm not making hash so I think I want to leave more sugar leaves intact. Any thoughts?

I'll be harvesting more tomorrow and will eventually post pics. I don't think I'm going to know how dense, if at all, the buds will be until they've cured. The green buds from C99 smell great so I'm happy about that. This manicuring style feels like giving your kid their first hair cut. Being old school, I didn't trim as close as the pros do and some of them look funny.

This is exciting and I apologize for this long-winded post! Best of harvest luck to everyone!!! :yummy:

Ann- How exciting. I didn't even think about harvesting in the morning, but that makes total sense. I cant wait to see the pics. I'll also be interested to hear your opinion on washed vs. non washed. I haven't read the articles. Since I have been spraying for white flies, even if it is organic, I think Ill try the washing if it seems to work out.

Your comment on manicuring makes me laugh. I want to do it, but knowing my skills in that field, I'm nervous. I cant even cut wrapping paper in a straight line at Christmas. However, I bought some bubble bags to make hash, so I definitely want to go that route. Look forward to hearing and seeing more!

This is so cool! We got our first harvest! I'm anxious to get started on mine. Once I start seeing amber, I'm going to start the flush. Hopefully that won't be too long from now. I still have a lot of prep work to do, i.e. cleaning out the washing buckets, cleaning out my drying closet and hanging the drying lines, buy the peroxide and baking soda, etc. I plan on setting aside a day for the whole thing. I definitely want to try the wash, though. It's kinda gross to think I've been smoking unwashed weed all these years.

I received a batch of infused coconut oil from a friend earlier in the year and really enjoyed the edibles I made, so I'm definitely going to save my trimmings to make cana-butter (gonna go butter for better tasting snacks!). I suppose that means I'll be trimming "new school" and giving the buds a close shave. I look forward to seeing how dense they actually are.

Congrats and keep us posted!

Forgot to share... the other reason I harvested before sunrise was because I read somewhere that the plants anticipate daylight and pull up moisture and nutes in preparation for growth. No idea if this is true but the good morning smells led me to early harvest.

Moss - it's great you're trying the hash bags! Let us know how it goes. I should have enough trimmings to make canna butter because I'm doing a full manicure for most of my harvest because I think it's less mold prone.

jdrews - from your pics your buds are looking very dense! Update us soon.

I'm only harvesting the most mature limbs in the morning just in case I'm too early.

I'm anxious to hear how everyone's harvest goes. All of your buds look great!

I'm topping all the Oregon threads tonight in honor of the harvest :goodluck: I'm trimming new skool since I think I'll have trimmed most of the dead wood and fan leaves right before harvest. I trimmed today to open up the plants in anticipation of having to go another couple of weeks in iffy weather. I'm going to post some pics before the trim, but after they really show off the fact they are trying to grow buds, not leaves. I'm going to turn the sugar leaves and popcorn buds into butter. I would have liked to make hash but my wife has no interest (yet), and then a long cure for the good stuff and I'll split it between my wife and her sister as Christmas presents. I think it will look good wrapped in mason jars like marmalade jam with a ribbon. Hope everyone will post pics of their bounty.

Much love, Ed

DSCN17819.JPG
DSCN17805.JPG
DSCN17795.JPG
DSCN17787.JPG
DSCN17774.JPG
DSCN17756.JPG
DSCN177610.JPG
DSCN17749.JPG
DSCN17737.JPG
DSCN17727.jpg

I'm going to turn the sugar leaves and popcorn buds into butter. I would have liked to make hash but my wife has no interest (yet), and then a long cure for the good stuff and I'll split it between my wife and her sister as Christmas presents. I think it will look good wrapped in mason jars like marmalade jam with a ribbon.

Great idea Ed! Very creative. I'm think I am going to borrow your plan. Mehl wouldn't like a beautiful jar of Cannabutter?

Looking real nice, Ed! Good luck on the home stretch. I love the gift idea. I might have to cop that myself. See how mom likes a jar full of weed for Christmas!

I'm tempted to cut some off mine but can't seem to bring myself to do it. I figure I still have three weeks left at least. I haven't even seen a brown pistil yet. Hope you don't mind me spamming your thread with more pics cause I can't contain myself :cheesygrinsmiley:
DSCN17849.JPG
DSCN17837.JPG
DSCN1784a.jpg
DSCN17855.JPG
DSCN17865.JPG
DSCN17907.JPG
DSCN17918.JPG
DSCN17936.JPG
DSCN17959.JPG

I would imagine latitude has a lot to do with it. I'm proceeding with all of this under the assumption that we're all working under general guidelines and everything will depend on individual environmental factors, soil, temps, nutrients, etc. I'm growing two different strains and they started flowering within a few days of each other and I seem to be ahead of the other OR folks by a week or two. I get the sense that there is a little bit of "gut feeling" and intuition involved when it comes to harvest time. My pistils have darkened a little bit, but mostly on one of the plants even though both plants are almost completely covered in cloudy trichomes. I haven't seen any amber trichomes yet, but I'm not going to wait much longer. The plant starts to decline once they show up anyway. There was a comment on another thread where someone waited for amber and the plant never produced them and it transitioned back into veg. It was basically a lost harvest.

My plants are really ripe now. You can smell them as soon as you walk outside and it's a more "mature" smell than what they smelled like a week or two ago. The flowers have also put on a lot of weight which is another good sign. So... based on all of that, I've gone ahead a set the date for next weekend! I'm going to chop and wash this coming Saturday morning and then trim and hang on Sunday. It'll be about 9 or 10 weeks at that point. Hopefully I'll be harvesting right at peak. If not, I'll tuck this new knowledge away and use it next season.

I'll post some fresh pics in a bit.

Morning Moss. They are seed bank my sister sent from Pa and she had no idea other than they ones she set aside from earlier grows that she enjoyed as a recreational user. One seems a little sativa and he other is a little bit indica, hybrids I'm sure My photography skills aren't showing them off very well. They are further along than the pictures would indicate but the buds are hidden by water leaves and are starting to frost pretty good. If an indian summer would set in I might be able to push them but we seem to be starting to sit in the fog for half the day and the temps are dropping so I'm thinking rains are on the horizon. It's all good though, they will be potent enough and I've learned valuable lesson for next year. I want to get a tent and an led and start messing around indoors with all of the interesting strains I've discovered here, and next years outdoor grow should be four plants trained to be a little more manageable, and convinced to finish sooner. Yours are looking really good also, and I hope you don't mind me using your thread to show off my plants too. Sure has been fun. Don't neglect to post harvest pics, and of course the finished product.

Back
Top Bottom