Outdoor Oregon backyard grow!

Yes, Moss, like Ed says, sorry if we've bogarted your thread. It's become the de-facto Oregon Outdoor Weed Chronicle! It's been really great seeing and reading about everyone's experiences. I just went out and took a shot of the top of each plant's cola. Here you go...

I believe this strain is either Sour Diesel or Cinex...
Hortense_9_wks.jpg

This is most likely Blue Dream...
Ethel_9_wks.jpg

Wow, gorgeous pics of some absolutely amazing buds!

Got the sticky off my fingers long enough to check in here. My drying/curing set up ended up in a bathroom that's tough to photograph but I'll get some kind of final pics up soon.

I read something I hadn't known before that said a sign of ripeness is calyx's so swollen they look like they have seeds in them. Even though my 1st harvest had amber trichomes I've noticed the buds still on the plants have more swollen caylyx's. May have harvested a bit too soon but it'll be fun to compare.

The smell is really nice in the curing jars. I look forward to hearing about how harvest goes for you guys. I'm not going to sample any buds before they've had a decent cure.

Glad I found these Oregon outdoor threads - it's been fun to share the experience! Happy first harvest in Oregon :high-five:
Any updates Mudrunner?

This thread is everyone's. It has been awesome to see all of the progress. JD, your buds are beatutiful. When are you planning the harvest?

Nw- I'm trying to push mine. My trichomes are cloudy, and pistils curling up. I want a little more size. I think I'll start flushing now and see f I can get 2 weeks.

Overall, this has made me really want to get a tenth and try some indoors to get some more experience in. Such a blast!

Ann, it's funny you should should bring up the calyx/seed thing. I was looking under the microscope the other day and thought I was looking at seeds until I looked closer and realized they were calyx. I took it as a good sign as well. Definitely keep us updated on your harvest.

I'll be chopping them down this Saturday. I'm going to trim all the big leaves off on Friday night and then set up a washing station for Saturday morning. I set up a little drying rack in an unused closet and hopefully they will be ready for trimming on Sunday before they hang to dry for good. Curing jars are on standby. Everything is ready!

I'm doing a quick flush. Just running a gallon of clean water through every evening this week. Hopefully it's enough.

Woo Hoo!

jddrews - sounds like a good harvest plan. Cleaning up the plants before harvest is smart. From the looks of things, you'll have a very busy and fun weekend! This will be especially cool to see given your excellent photo skills.

And, YES... i want an indoor set up! Who wants to wait a year when this is so gratifying?

Thanks everyone for sharing this experience. :green_heart:

So this was a bit of a bummer. I took a look last evening after work and realized that the very top bud on one of my plants had basically died and dried up. I cut out all the dried material and looked in with a scope. Not seeing any critters or anything. All the other buds look just fine. It was just the very top of the plant. Weird. I had been noticing that the sugar leaves had been drying and curling around that flower for awhile, but didn't realize that it extended to the bud itself. 99% of the rest of the plant looks amazing and my other one looks even better. I guess I'm glad I'm harvesting this weekend! What do you guys think??

Here's a photo from a week ago. You can notice the dryer looking sugar leaves toward the top...
Hortense_9_wks.jpg

Here is a photo looking straight down onto the bud after I cut all the dead material out...
bud_damage.jpg

jddrews,

I've a Sativa hybrid that's behind my others but the buds are starting to fill out nicely. On just a couple of the top "colas" there's a brown dead looking center on the tip i just noticed today. Looks like your pic but maybe a darker brown. The buds look pretty good otherwise.

Silly to post when I can't help but i just wanted to share I'm seeing something like this too. I'm hoping to learn more about what this is and will let you know if i discover any info.

The 'dead' part doesn't look like mold, does it? :hmmmm:

Moss - I think it's a good idea to remain vigilant.

After some reading and looking at photos I have to assume what I'm seeing on the one plant is bud rot. My biggest concern is how it can spread. I've decided to harvest the rest of the Cindy's in the morning since they're ripe and I want to get them away from the infected plant.

I didn't think my infected Sativa would finish anyway so I'll keep an eye on her to see if anything can be salvaged. I guess it had to be something since I lucked out having almost zero insects - just an occasional cucumber beetle.

I may try covering her at night since she's relatively small.

jddrews - Hope rot isn't what you're seeing but if it is it looks like you caught it early. Let us know how harvest goes.

:goodluck:

Sorry about the sideways pics, again.

The first pic is of C99 - Halfway harvest. The second pic is of Cinderella's Dream - Halfway harvest. Cinderella 99 is a parent to Cinderella's Dream but they smell completely different. The aromas are changing as the cure continues and C99 which smelled like a pine tree is developing into a strong diesel fragrance and I couldn't be happier!

The Cindys are being harvested in the am to avoid catching bud rot from my other Sativa. Thank you for all the help and support guys! If i grow next year I'll come back here and look for an Oregon thread... maybe something like 2nd year Oregon outdoor backyard grow. Will continue to follow this thread of course.

:thanks:

Those buds sure look pretty in those jars. Sorry to hear about the suspected bud rot, and hope I can avoid it also. Sure am glad I cobbled together that pseudo greenhouse. The buds have never been wet, but I'm sure foggy, rainy, all encompassing wet weather is just around the corner and my plants seem to be in no hurry to finish. I think I'll harvest early rather than sweat if out daily. I had no idea how wrapped up in this I would get considering I rarely smoke. OCD to the max. You guys are awesome.

Thanks for the input everybody. I'm pretty sure it's a small case of bud rot that I found on my plant. I took a good look at the rest of the affected bud and the other nearby buds and it all looks good. Nice and green and REALLY dense! I could barely fit a toothpick in between the calyx. The even better news is that I sampled a little of what I pulled off (non rotted part) that was dry enough to smoke and, well, all I can say is that it works! I smoked through a bong and I was surprised how smooth it was (I prefer vaporizing), and the potency was over the top. It was a more "dirty" feeling high because of the bong and uncured weed. I suspect everything will clean up nicely. But, man. I couldn't be happier! A really nice buzz.

I'm really excited about this evening as the harvest officially begins.

Ann - The jars full of buds is very inspiring! That's quite the yield. I hope I don't need a bigger boat (i.e. I may need to go pick up another half-dozen jars).

NW and Moss - One thing to check for with the bud rot is if the small sugar leaves seem dry, give them a tug. If they pull right out and look brown at the base, there is probably a little rot happening in that area. It's easy to clean out.

I'll document the harvest. More soon...

jddrews - Thank you for mentioning this when you did! I think mine was isolated too but the dry, 'dead' part was so close to the brown pistil color I wouldn't have caught this before it ruined the plant.

Just to reassure everyone... the effected plant was compromised and I'm embarrassed to share that i think it might be an indoor strain. Whoops. I can tell you that the spots it showed up on were places I accidentally injured picking out a dead fan leaf.

nwpassage - me too. OCD on this to the max.

Wishing everyone a Happy Harvest! :slide:

Well, two weeks into curing now and I'm feeling pretty good about everything. I had a scare after drying that I had overdone it. The buds were really dry to the touch when I was trimming them and it really bummed me out. However, I sealed the buds in jars and 24 hours later they were all nice and moist again. Whew! Now I'm slowly getting the RH down to the right levels. It's hovering at 71% now, but it's slowly dropping. I can see why it takes a month now. It's starting to smell really nice and although the smoke is a little harsh, it's not bad at all and the flavor is starting to develop. The high from each strain is very pleasant and a blast from the big vaporizor nearly knocked me on my butt. Really opens my mind up, too. Here are some pics of the process...

A little haircut the night before the chop...
big_ethel_trimmed.jpg
hortense_trimmed.jpg

The drying closet is ready...
drying_closet_empty.jpg

Cleaning buckets before...
cleaning_buckets_before.jpg

Hello!!!
main_cola_cut.jpg

Cleaning buckets after...
cleaning_buckets_after.jpg

Drying...
drying_closet_full.jpg

Chopped and in the box ready for trimming...
ready_for_washing.jpg

One of the "trophies" after trimming...
main_cola_trimmed.jpg

A little over 7oz of bud...
curing_jars.jpg

First smoke!
Jar_and_pax_flash.jpg

Things I will do differently next time...
1. I'm going to do way more defoliating before I chop. I took off all the big fan leaves, but next time I'm going to remove all the sun leaves (the big ones between the buds) too. It will save a lot of time and headache when trimming the bud.

2. I might monitor my airflow a bit when drying to slow the process a little. It may be because of the washing, but they dried out really fast.

3. I could have done a better transition between veg nutes and flower nutes. I didn't really know what I was looking for and could've made the switch a week or so sooner.

4. I probably could've used another week of flush as well. Not that I can really tell, but it's just a "feeling".

5. Probably don't need a whole gallon of H2O2 for the first dunk in the wash cycle. I will probably reduce that by half next year.

In conclusion, an amazing experience and in addition to the 7oz of bud, I was left with almost 4oz of trim for butter! Not a bad yield!

It was really great sharing everything with you all... we laughed, we cried, we triumphed. ;)

Hope to hear good reports from everyone!

Best, -jd

Big time fun J.D. Thanks for posting those pics and the results of your labor. I chopped one I found a little bud rot on, probably prematurely, but over reacting is my specialty. I still have one that is just putting on beautiful purple/black fall foliage, and I'm going to see how far I can get it before harvest.

Hi Everyone- I haven't been getting post notifications , so am just seeing everyone's lovely pics. Bravo!!! My plants were slow to finish, so I just cut washed and hung this morning. Finally. Encountered a little but rot, but not much. Like JDDrews said, it looked lthe same color as my pistils so I almost didn't catch it. I didn't fully trim before hanging, so that might be a pain to do later, but I'll take a close watch to make sure it doesn't dry too quickly. I was able to get a full 2 weeks of flushing, so hopefully that is a plus. I look forward to hear the smoke report once we have all cured . Here are some pics of my poor stalks, and some hanging product.

image34250.jpg
image34249.jpg
image996.jpeg
image995.jpeg

WOW Guys! Nice job everyone. Considering this was the first year it looks pretty successful.

Things I'd do differently:

All of jddrews list!

An earlier start but avoiding blooming too early.

Pest prevention! - i thought i got away without using precautions because all I saw was an occasional cucumber beetle. Wrong. The bud rot i found on the one Sativa turns out to be related to a white moth caterpillar that eats buds from the inside tender stem outwards thus the 'dead' but not slimy spots on some buds. When i washed these buds it was disgusting and i can't see using even the clean ones. Those caterpillars were so well hidden a couple branches that appeared to be damage free had caterpillars die in the first wash bucket. I had to change the water constantly and even though 'healthy' buds were rinsing clean, mentally i don't think i can or will touch that stuff. I've got more i have yet to manicure and I'll probably toss all of it unless one friend who encouraged me to try to save it wants it.

The good and perhaps even great news is that my C99, curing about a month now, is developing a nice flavor, smooth smoke and i think will get even better.

On the flush topic... i think I'll make sure it's at least 10 days. I was in a dispensary recently and they had some Jilly Bean I've been told tastes good. It had a 22% THC test and on first whiff seemed to have a nice strong fragrance but on second whiff i thought part of the strong smell was fertilizer. I've smelled fertilizer in buds before and now i know that when i smell something like fertilizer, it is!

I have one sad Indica that's still trying. No bud rot yet but I'll be washing anything it produces. The bud washing did seem to separate the rot places from the healthy parts. I did wash vigorously.

Thanks everyone for sharing! This has been so helpful with educating me and I've been wondering how everyone was doing. All the Awesome photos have been really fun to see. I'll keep following.

:dreamy:

Back
Top Bottom