Override Next Step For NH Medical Marijuana

After stringing its advocates along, Gov. John Lynch vetoed the bill that would legalize the use of medical marijuana.

The legislation was modified to mollify some of the concerns expressed by the Democratic governor. The House version allowed medical marijuana patients to grow their own weed, but after some concerns from the governor's office were made known, the Senate changed the legislation to create so-called "compassion centers" for distribution of the weed to patients with a doctor's prescription.

It was that version that was accepted by both the House and Senate and sent on to the governor. But in the end, he remained skeptical and ultimately he listened more to law enforcement agencies than he did to the elected representatives.

"Law enforcement officials have raised legitimate public safety concerns regarding the cultivation and distribution of marijuana," Lynch said in his veto message.

"These concerns have not been adequately addressed in this bill. Marijuana is an addictive drug that has the potential to pose significant health dangers to its users, and it remains the most widely abused illegal drug in this State."

He also noted that "marijuana use for any purpose remains illegal under federal law."

What he failed to note, however, is that the administration of President Barack Obama has ordered federal agencies to stop raiding medical marijuana distribution centers in states that have legalized it.

The Sphinx-like demeanor of the governor, never really knowing how he truly feels about an issue, has been a hallmark of his during the legislation session.

Advocates that fought for the legislation will now have to fight even a little harder to help any hope for an override of the governor's veto.

The N.H. Coalition for Common Sense Marijuana Policy said, "His veto is a tremendous disappointment, but the legislature can still vote to override the Governor's veto, and we only need to convince a few more legislators in order to receive the 2/3 majority that would be necessary for a veto override. The vote is not expected to take place until September, so we will have plenty of time to regroup and make a fresh pitch to legislators."

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Examiner.com
Author: Paul Briand
Copyright: 2009 Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com

Secretly the gov is pro MMJ and realized this bill was a useless canard. I have no clue why people mourn this bill's defeat so. My view says that its veto is the better thing overall. Did you really think that NH is going to issue those licenses mentioned in the law? "Well, we will do so as soon as the Federal Gov't says ok..."

Why not move to VA and enjoy the benefits of their MMJ law? Oh that's right, it was passed 3 decades ago and not one person has been able to use their medicine without fear because it was passed. It is so useless a law that no-one even mentions that VA was in fact the first state to pass an MMJ bill, back in the days when Cheech & Chong were in their prime.

Whoops, I never read the bill or considered implications you mention Pythaglio. I've been given a voice with world wide reach but not an upgraded brain. It's very difficult for me to believe or trust any politition to do 'the right thing'. I've been lied to by too many of them for six decades, and old attitudes die hard.

PG

Back
Top Bottom