Panel Kills Medical Marijuana Proposal

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
South Dakota isn't ready to legalize marijuana as a medical treatment for severe and chronic pain, a legislative committee decided.

The House Health and Human Services Committee voted 9-4 on Tuesday to kill HB1127, which would have legalized limited use of marijuana to treat symptoms of illnesses such as MS or the nausea that can accompany chemotherapy treatments.

Supporters of the bill said marijuana relieves symptoms that other drugs can't touch. But opponents said marijuana already is a major law-enforcement problem and legalizing a medical version of the substance would make that worse.

A veteran of the first Gulf War said she was exposed to chemical weapons and has had chronic pain, as well as problems with her speech. Valerie Hannah of Deerfield said she first tried marijuana for her pain in 2001 and has been able to quit using morphine since then.

"Medical marijuana seems to have been the best pain and anxiety relief I've received in the past 10 years," Hannah said.

She was a leader in an unsuccessful attempt in 2006 to pass an initiated medical marijuana law. The measure failed by a 52-48 margin.

Randy Hartley of the South Dakota Public Safety Department said legalizing marijuana for medical reasons would make it more difficult for law officers to enforce laws against illegal forms of the drug.

"It would be difficult for officers in the fields to determine which is usable and which is not," he said.

Hartley also said that the bill the panel killed would have allowed a caregiver to have as much as 60 pounds to 300 pounds of marijuana a year.

Patrick Lynch of Sioux Falls said he has used marijuana to ease symptoms of MS and to counter aftereffects of other treatments for his illness.

"By taking a few puffs after I take my shot, which is an injection, it eliminates both the headaches and the nausea that go along with it," Lynch said. "I'm not a pothead. I'm a human being with a disease."

Charles McGuigan, chief deputy attorney general for South Dakota, said his office is opposed to marijuana in any form.

McGuigan also said that even if South Dakota legalized medical marijuana, users and caregivers could be charged by federal law officers.

"It will not provide any immunity to the people who are testifying here today, because it will remain a federal crime," McGuigan said of the proposed state law.

Bob Newland of Hermosa has been involved in attempts to legalize medical marijuana in South Dakota for several years. He said that, while the 2006 initiated law failed, it received a 48 percent positive vote.

"When we have a vote in 2010, we will have a winning percentage," Newland said.

Asked where South Dakota people obtained marijuana for medical treatments, Newland said some grow their own, others get it from dealers working in the state.

"They get it from the same places anyone did whoever smoked marijuana," he said.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Daily Republic
Author: TERRY WOSTER
Copyright: 2009 The Associated Press
Contact: Contact | The Daily Republic | Mitchell, South Dakota

South Dakota isn't ready to legalize marijuana as a medical treatment for severe and chronic pain, a legislative committee decided.

The House Health and Human Services Committee voted 9-4 on Tuesday to kill HB1127, which would have legalized limited use of marijuana to treat symptoms of illnesses such as MS or the nausea that can accompany chemotherapy treatments.

Supporters of the bill said marijuana relieves symptoms that other drugs can't touch. But opponents said marijuana already is a major law-enforcement problem and legalizing a medical version of the substance would make that worse.

A veteran of the first Gulf War said she was exposed to chemical weapons and has had chronic pain, as well as problems with her speech. Valerie Hannah of Deerfield said she first tried marijuana for her pain in 2001 and has been able to quit using morphine since then.

"Medical marijuana seems to have been the best pain and anxiety relief I've received in the past 10 years," Hannah said.

She was a leader in an unsuccessful attempt in 2006 to pass an initiated medical marijuana law. The measure failed by a 52-48 margin.

Randy Hartley of the South Dakota Public Safety Department said legalizing marijuana for medical reasons would make it more difficult for law officers to enforce laws against illegal forms of the drug.

"It would be difficult for officers in the fields to determine which is usable and which is not," he said.

Hartley also said that the bill the panel killed would have allowed a caregiver to have as much as 60 pounds to 300 pounds of marijuana a year.

Patrick Lynch of Sioux Falls said he has used marijuana to ease symptoms of MS and to counter aftereffects of other treatments for his illness.

"By taking a few puffs after I take my shot, which is an injection, it eliminates both the headaches and the nausea that go along with it," Lynch said. "I'm not a pothead. I'm a human being with a disease."

Charles McGuigan, chief deputy attorney general for South Dakota, said his office is opposed to marijuana in any form.

McGuigan also said that even if South Dakota legalized medical marijuana, users and caregivers could be charged by federal law officers.

"It will not provide any immunity to the people who are testifying here today, because it will remain a federal crime," McGuigan said of the proposed state law.

Bob Newland of Hermosa has been involved in attempts to legalize medical marijuana in South Dakota for several years. He said that, while the 2006 initiated law failed, it received a 48 percent positive vote.

"When we have a vote in 2010, we will have a winning percentage," Newland said.

Asked where South Dakota people obtained marijuana for medical treatments, Newland said some grow their own, others get it from dealers working in the state.

"They get it from the same places anyone did whoever smoked marijuana," he said.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Daily Republic
Author: TERRY WOSTER
Copyright: 2009 The Associated Press
Contact: Contact | The Daily Republic | Mitchell, South Dakota

after this failure,,it is time to expose those on a big scale of their descision,,and seek election of those who support the cannibas stvia journet to legalization--f.g.s,,,aka,,infoman,,,drinfo,,,ohio,,,:peace:

SD still waiting on permission to grow Hemp?
or is that ND?

Seems to me,
if MMJ is legal then the DEA's main objection to hemp farming,
"They can hide illegal crops in the hemp" is mute.

We have to unite Folks, even if we have to educate our new partners :cheesygrinsmiley:

thanks for reply--there is a new movement that is beginning to emerge,,we give thanks for all the networks that have done they have done so far,,but a new and agressive postive attitude is needed,,with a more direct interference for the american people will NOT TOLERATE OF THESE ILLEGAL LAWS, AND THE IMPRISONMENT OF THOSE WHO ARE INNOCENT FROM THIS CORRUPT GOVERNMENT,,,seems harsh,,but,,yea,,,over 800,000 lst time non-violent citizens of this country in prisons,,,,the u.s. leads the industrial world in per-captia of people in prisons,,,( a shameful stat.)---god bless,,,,god speed,,,let the great spirit direct us,,,lets the doubling of our efforts accomplish what is right for this country guaranteed by the constitution of the u.s.,,,f.g.s,,,aka,,,infoman,,,aka,,,drinfo,,,ohio,,,:peace:

Back
Top Bottom