PC Tower Light Mounting Question

Featherhead

So I'm building a box using a large PC tower. I'm at the point where I'm going to be mounting my lights. I've decided to use a power strip and plug 3-4 CFLs directly into it. Throughout my research so far I've seen several posts indicating the importance of always maintaining a light to plant distance of 3 - 5 inches. How concerned with this should I be given the size of my tower? If I keep them permanently mounted at the top I could stack the flowerpots up on books to reach the lights, and slowly pull them away as the plant grows, correct? Would this be the best method?

:thanks:

:welcome:

There is no one best method.
raise plants or lower lights, make no difference. which ever suits your style and is easy for you to do.

:welcome:

There is no one best method.
raise plants or lower lights, make no difference. which ever suits your style and is easy for you to do.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus, lol. This is my first time, so trying to do as much research as my nerves will let me. Just trying to get a dense fruit.
:yummy:

airflow will be key in such a small place.

are you trying to keep it stealth? if so how do you plan on dealing with smell?

airflow will be key in such a small place.

are you trying to keep it stealth? if so how do you plan on dealing with smell?

Well. I've looked into some DIY carbon filters, but I'm not so sure about that aspect really. I am dealing with a mostly metal pc box here, so modifications on the actual case are limited. I'm imagining I'll affix something over my exhaust fan, like an elbow, and thrust the apparatus upwards. I actually haven't even bought my fans yet. They are the last thing I need. I am dealing with a very small environment here. Any immediate ideas?

I'm also looking into this gel

1667447570615.png

I've heard it works well.

Yeah, that gel should work great for a PC case grow.

Ona is supposed to work well, I have heard good things about it and thought about trying it myself. Ona does remove the odor but also leaves a smell. I like my carbon filter, removes the smell and doesn't leave any sort of masking odor. Cost me ~$20 to make from walmart.

I also find it is easier to move lights in general but with PC cases and other smaller grow areas, most setups I have seen use fixed lights since it is hard to fit a chain in there etc and you will just be LSTing the plants to keep them small.

Make sure you make the case light proof so you can flower well and keep it stealth and if you really want to maximize vertical height you should look into PL-Ls. they are like skinny CFLs but require parts ordered online as they aren't readily available in stores.

Looking forward to see what you end up making. :goodluck:

Ona is supposed to work well, I have heard good things about it and thought about trying it myself. Ona does remove the odor but also leaves a smell. I like my carbon filter, removes the smell and doesn't leave any sort of masking odor. Cost me ~$20 to make from walmart.

Looking forward to see what you end up making. :goodluck:

Would you mind giving me a basic breakdown of you carbon filter that's under $20? If you don't mind. That's just the best price I've seen around, and its about what the gel will cost me.
:passitleft:

My filter consists of a large mesh wire pencil holder and a smaller size one, you can get these from walmart for pretty cheap ($5-10). Also a box of activated carbon from the aquarium section, should run like $5. And a pair of panty hose. I will send you a PM with the link explaining how to build it. Not a 420mag site :(

My filter consists of a large mesh wire pencil holder and a smaller size one, you can get these from walmart for pretty cheap ($5-10). Also a box of activated carbon from the aquarium section, should run like $5. And a pair of panty hose. I will send you a PM with the link explaining how to build it. Not a 420mag site :(

Thank you so much for sending the information. You are making this a great community experience!
:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Edit
So, tried to send you a response via PM, but you have to post 50 times in order to use the feature with non-Admins it seems. This was the text:

Really appreciate you sending this over. Although a carbon filter isn't the stealthiest manner, it does the job, right? I'll be completing my box this weekend. Definitely considering this as an option, but I won't need to worry about the smell for a little bit.
Nice tip about the drilling too.

Yeah that 50 post thing is kinda lame. No problem, glad I could help. I actually think that a carbon filter is the stealthiest thing. It doesn't leave a masking odor behind like Ona; it can be concealed inside your growing area, you want to pull through the carbon filter not push through it. It is also relatively compact and can be scaled up using other materials to hold the carbon. If you were to duct smell outside the house I would still recommend a carbon filter.

Yeah that 50 post thing is kinda lame. No problem, glad I could help. I actually think that a carbon filter is the stealthiest thing. It doesn't leave a masking odor behind like Ona; it can be concealed inside your growing area, you want to pull through the carbon filter not push through it. It is also relatively compact and can be scaled up using other materials to hold the carbon. If you were to duct smell outside the house I would still recommend a carbon filter.

Hmmm.. It almost sounds like you are suggesting putting the carbon filter on your intake fan when you say "you want to pull through the carbon filter not push through it." Don't you want the carbon filter on your outtake fan so the exposed air from the box is pushed out and neutralized?

I may be a little late on the light thing but I have very strong very small magnets taped to the back of my power strip that holds my CFL's...I can move it to any position and it isn't coming off...kind of a pain in the arse to get off....I also have a very small stealth grow currently and I can move my cfl's anywhere from 1" to 22" above the planter....it works great. Heat is an issue like they pointed out above....I made the mistake of trying to put wedge 3 planters in the box and blocked the airflow...caused some damage to the leaves but once I made more room they are doing much better. Stacking up books or CD's will work if you fix your lights to the top but it's just one more thing to have in a small space...and you need all the space you can get.

ONA works great....make it last longer by adding it to water in a tupperware dish..cut holes in the lid and put a small fan on it...or better yet set it up at the back of your pc box so the exhaust fan blows over it...stuff really works....and will last you the length of your grow if you use it correctly.

And don't forget to LST early and often (with counter ties) and sCrog that s.o.b....

peace and harvests.......

Hmmm.. It almost sounds like you are suggesting putting the carbon filter on your intake fan when you say "you want to pull through the carbon filter not push through it." Don't you want the carbon filter on your outtake fan so the exposed air from the box is pushed out and neutralized?

Sorry if I wasn't very clear, you definitely want the carbon scrubber on your exhaust fan or else it would be worthless. But apparently it is more efficient for a fan to pull air through a filter than try to push it. So you would want to mount the carbon filter inside of your cab and have the exhaust pull air from the cab, through the filter, through the fan and out the back.

Ghetto Diagram: (arrow denotes air flow direction)
stinky dank air > filter > fan > outside cab clean air

Let me know if I still am not making sense, I tend to do that.

Dj would u mind sending me that info as well? Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom