Perception of Time

ScottyBThatIsMe

So I've been kicking this idea around for years, and even written about 5 different research papers on it for various classes I've taken.

My whole theory (the condensed version for your collective sake) is based around individual perception of reality. As we all know (most of us believe) everyone has a different reality. How one person interprets events can, and most likely is, a lot different from how the person next to them interprets them.
For instance, my Mother, a wonderful, and smart, woman, believes that all people are good, but do bad things out of ignorance. She's a firm believer in Christianity, whereas I am more or less in limbo, religion-wise. She will be cut off in traffic, and say to me, "He must have had somewhere important to go, I hope it's nothing bad." Now, the majority of us will probably lose our heads and swear and cuss and try to seek some sort of revenge (I usually do this in the form of killing them about 40 different ways in my head). That's a short, bad example.
A better, more abstract example would be Hand-Eye coordination... Ever meet someone who has amazing reflexes? Being an avid first-person-shooter computer game fan, I know so many fat computer nerds who are amazingly perceptive and can seem to pick out the tiniest details in the smallest amount of exposure to the situation. It is really freaky to watch some of these guy and gals play computer games because they react so quickly it's almost like they have ESP.
Now, what constitutes for this discrepency between my pitiful attempts to play against them and their continued whomping of my virtual alter-ego? Practice? Don't think so... I've been playing computer games for years and am still no where near their level.
Same thing goes for fighter-jet pilots... how can you possibly keep track of everything moving around you so quickly and react to them and still keep your ass from getting fried?
Hell, even a tennis player is a great example... Lets see the average joe, even an average joe with an athletic build, try and swat a 3 inch diameter ball that is coming at you well over 100 mph.
Acrobats, fighter pilots, computer nerds, hell, KNIFE JUGGLERS, something is up with these people. For anyone else, simply practicing is not enough. There is indeed something unique and special about these people that allows them to perceive events almost before they happen.
My theory is as follows: Not everyone experiences time in the same way. What I'm talking about is a not-so drastic example of the whole bullet-time effect as patented by the Matrix movies. What if these people actually do see things happen more slowly than the majority of us? Of course, they wouldn't be able to point out a difference between themselves and the rest because that's how they've grown accustomed to experiencing life, therefore nothing would be out of place and they are simply labled as 'gifted.'
I've seen some crazy shit done by friends who would fit this profile. I've seen my buddy, Dillon, squish a gnat between his fingers as it flew past his head... I had no idea there was even a gnat there until he showed it to me. He just suddenly grabbed at the air and *poof* this insect appeared between his fingers. I've seen another buddy, Dan, juggle double edged knives (6 of them) as easily as if he were tossing a baseball up and down to himself. I've seen these really obese, slow-witted stereo-typical computer jocks pick off enemies with blinding speed and accuracy in video games and even in real life paintball tournaments.

If anyone else has any thoughts at all, please do share.

I'm sorry for a lack of research, but I've done my time with this subject and if anyone would care to read some of the papers I've written, I'll gladly email them.

I know so many fat computer nerds who are amazingly perceptive and can seem to pick out the tiniest details in the smallest amount of exposure to the situation. It is really freaky to watch some of these guy and gals play computer games because they react so quickly it's almost like they have ESP.

lol thats me :smokin:

informitive as well as educational...thanks for sharing this peice, i enjoied it thoroughly....ill try and keep up with your informitive writings

Interesting

It's so cool to hear other people think about stuff like this too. I've been fascinated with time for a while now. I'm a big believer in relativism-I really do believe that all things are relative. So those people you talk about that seem to have ESP? That's just normal time for them. And there are people that are a little better than then, but will seem so much faster to that person. Because to us they're all just fast. But in relation to the fast person, they're far away. It's kind of like the difference between 300,000,000,000 miles and 400,000,000,000 miles. To us they're all just far away; it's so far away we don't think much about the fact that they have distance between them too.

I've heard of this kind of thing before, where everyone has their own perception of the world. Obviously this is why many people have different opinions, because everybody's brain processes information, and everyone perceives that information in their own way, some more similiar, and others completely differently, which is why some people have special "talents" that other people will never be able perform as well even with a lifetime of practice.

ScottyB, you've got some very interesting thoughts, which is cool because I think about these things too. I believe these things could be the reason why men like Jimi Hendrix were so far ahead of their time. He had a special connection to music, and had a better feel for it, and so was able to create incredible sounds with this guitar. Awsome stuff man :cool:

yeah man i think about that shit all the time how about pro athelets like nfl qb's how do they know they are about to get hit from behind or nba players with no look passes and even catches the whole thing just blows my mind

Back
Top Bottom