Ph Help

Yodagrow

Okay so i have noticed my stems are turning purple. i have looked up and read a lot about that and have come to the conclusion its probably a ph problem. i havent done anything about ph until now. I went and bought a Ph kit but im not sure how to use it since its for pools since i went the cheap route. Here is a picture of my plant and the kit i bought.
IMG_20131122_214228.jpg

IMG_20131122_215133.jpg

dont move too fast,too much of a change can be just as detrimental
get some plain water and adjust it to around 6.5 - 6.8 at the most,need enough to have at least 20% runoff,test that and you will have an average of the two,this gives you an idea what the soil is at
the next move depends on the outcome,you want to get your soil around the 6.5 area but go slow
anyway that's me maybe an expert will chime in soon
good luck and take care

hey yoda welcome! my opinion is use caution! purple stems are so common you would not believe. also i stress that ph condition in soil is not that important. what was your ph when you say way high? soil can deal with 6-7 and and even beyond and be ok until you get it back to reasonable. i have alot of plants in dirt and i try to keep em around 6.2, but i would never flush soil and stuff to swing it alot, always in small steps. if your way out of line i would suggest water with phed water between 6.2-6.5 (not distilled water room temp tap water) and add something to your soil instead. there are alot of additives that work well, i use a gypsum additive thats high in sulfur which changes ph. the one i use also has iron, calcium and magnesium, and some other things which is good.i use the same soil and i make large batches at a time. i mix it in when i make it up and it works great. if your temps are low that can be a cause for the ever so popular purple stem as well. well i hope i helped you some mate if there is anything else you wanna ask feel free i always help when i can. good luck and enjoy!

Im not sure if there is a difference in using a ph test kit for a pool and the ones used for aquariums but i would use the one for aquariums. They are pretty cheap and easy to use but not as accurate as a digital ph meter. Keep ur water/nute ph'd around 6.5-7.0.

well i'm pretty sure there is a problem. when I checked on them this morning the leave stems had turned brownish purple or just a very very deep purple. by way to high I mean I checked the water I've been using and it was 8. I brought the water down to 7 and watered it this morning, I figured I'd do that for a few days and lower it again and so on and so forth.

I don't know what this means but the nodes are coming in a lot closer together now also, there is hardly any trunk between the set of leaves that came out today and the ones that were there yesterday.

You can water with a lower ph than 7. So 8 is not you ph it's the waters ph the only way you will get even close is too check soil runoff even then it's not very reliable.My water ph also comes out 8. IMO Water with 6.0-6.2. For now what are your temps?

I just watered and checked it some more. I keep it about 2, 3 inches away from the light and I have 4 florescent bulbs to be honest I'm not sure what they are exactly I bought them at a garden/ feed store and I told them I was tomatoes pepper indoors. The temp is between 75 and 78, colder when I have the door open of course. There is a hole with a fan on top pumping in fresh air. I also keep a water jug full in the closet so its usually around the same temp.

How often do you water? IMO I would just make sure you let it dry out good and only water when needed and do so with phed water at 6.2 and room temp(70ish) water, alot of the reason I said caution earlier is because people in soil sometimes have very minor issues and there ph is off or high or what ever, so they start watering it with adjusted water or flushing and then they check it and its still off so thy flush or water it again and real quick alot more issues are arising due to overwatering and stuff. And then he original issue and all the problems add up and it trouble. All over purple stems right haha. You'll be good take or slow and see what happens. Good luck mate.

I water twice a day, in the morning and sometime at night. The dirt is usually dry by the time I'm going to bed. I was only doing it once a day but the leaves would roll up by the time I got up so I started doing it twice a day and that fixed that problem. I have been reading a lot of others problems and fixes and I noticed a lot of people doing just what you said so I was cautious not to go to far but I decided to make sure I was thinking in the right direction. My new growth looks great though, should I wait to top it until I figure out this PH thing or can I do it when ever?

It's not likely youll just fix your ph problem and thats the end of it, cause your soil is high it'll be high for awhile but you keep using the phed water at 6.2 and try and get something for changing the soil ph if you can like what I mentioned earlier (not aluminum sulfate tho) and you can gradually get it in check. As long as you do that and all other conditions are right your new growth will look good and you'll be healthy etc. I would say if your plants look healthy and new growth looks nice then go ahead and top it. You don't wanna wait to long I'm sure. Also if you have to water 2x a day on reg potting soil it may be time to repot or you might be root bound but that's another topic, I hoped this all helped I've been in your shoes, a long time ago but still.. Good luck mate if ya need anything else ill be around haha.

IMO if you did a good job transplanting it by not causing much stress and disturbing the rootball to much then go for it! If it wasn't a smooth operation you might let it take a day or two but even if its stressed odds are it'll just slow down recovery time and it'll take a few days to bounce back. My opinion though don't do it if it makes you uncomfortable, trust your gut mate..good luck

I just checked on my plant this morning, and it seems okay so far. The leaves have started to roll up again like when it was thirsty so i gave it plenty of water. There are new leaves showing already since I re-potted it yesterday so i'm assuming it might survive.

My second plant just sprouted yesterday, I started Lts on it the minute i noticed it. Is that okay or am i supposed to wait a little while. Right now I have three paper clips on it and the plan right now is to make it grow in a cork screw
IMG_20131124_215232.jpg

How big is the plant that curls up? And what size pot is it in? And what kind of soil and did you add anything to it perlite or vermiculite or anything? And congrats on your new baby! I'm not an expert on lst but I do train a good deal when time permits.
I always wait until I have a few sets of true leaves before I cause any kind of stress low or high. IMO if you stress it out early it will really slow down growth and development and I've heard of stress being related to sex issues as well.. I understand the stress is minimal in what your doing though. Also odds are if you keep pulling it and restricting it when it's so small it's probably gonna stretch alot and be lanky to start that's usually not desirable. That's my two cents mate I'm sure someone with all the answers will chime in soon. Also i want to note i That I try to help when I can and I only say what I know by experience and it is mostly my opinion most the time I jut wanna say that cause I've said alot to you in the conversations and don't want you to think its the only way if you get what I mean.. Well good luck mate:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom