Phototron review

I have one of the first trons. It is about 3 ft tall and uses U shapes flourescents. It was given to me, I did not buy it I had to replace the ballast and the lights. While I was at it I converted it to a flood and drain system and for what it is, I got a good crop from it. All my friends were asking for more. I reveged and got a second crop. Then lost a timer and was gone a couple days and my crop fried, not the fault of the tron. LOL I am thinking of starting it up again. For the operating cost, you can't beat it. If you want bigger plants and tighter buds go with HPS and don't look back.

Since I'm a soil man not a hydro man I put a 15 gal. Magicpot in the basin, edged the top so it wouldn't touch the side lights and planted three babies.

The side lights are definitely anemic at 4100K so I ordered 6500k for veg and 3000K for flower. Makes more sense to give them part of the spectrum they need for whatever the job might be. I also swapped out the stupid incandescent with a UFO, so the overkill should create some good bud.

The whole pinching and pruning idea is great 'cause the Phototron can penetrate better than just an overhead. Can't wait to see the results.

Pics to follow once it's all set up.

I checked my Phototron Pro this morning and I am very pleased with the top cola and number of developing bud sites. My link is below.

These are my first flowers, and I am excited. The buds look like all of the photos I have been adoring since mid October. Better of course, as I grew them. I can't wait to see how large they can get in one more month.

they suck i called needing a new ballast for my original and all they wanted to do was sell a new 1.
asked about a replacement and said i'd have to update
big$$

i been doing the same thing. old original 3 u tube style. ballast went bad. having a hard
time finding a replacement. do you have a line on parts?

i been doing the same thing. old original 3 u tube style. ballast went bad. having a hard
time finding a replacement. do you have a line on parts?

I did not replace it with a part from pyro I used an Advance REL-3S40-RH-TP Cost something like 20 to 25 bux if I remember right. I doo not remember who I bought it from but google the part # and it should come up for you. The only difference was no fuse in the replacement. Has been working great. I also kept the ballast utside the tron I bolted it to the side cuz of the hydro conversion.

Not sure what Toadstooldan is talking about. I'm in my second grow already with the Phototron PRO LED and it works GREAT! The first time around I didn't know anything but what I've read in High Times and 420 Magazine about growing. So, I followed the Phototron Manual. When there was something I didn't understand I simply called the 800 number and spoke to both Gino and Taryn and they were both EXTREMELY helpful! Not sure why it is you had a problem but from what I understand there is new management running the company now. The pro LED gave me exactly what I was looking for in a personal grow machine and I'm now in my second week of bloom on my second grow. Phototron has even called ME to see how everything was going. I recommend Phototrons to everyone I meet because it REALLY delivers a great yiled for such a small space. I've literally never see so many budding sites before. I got my initial investment of $1600 back in the very first grow. I really don't know what all the bitching is about. The TRON worked great and the customer service rocked!

pictures coming soon...

I know what Toadstooldan is talking about because we've all been there. There are many variables that go into a successful experience with a company and that gets complicated/compounded when there's such a high expectation for the cost. AND...we are talking about people's medicine here so performance isn't negotiable.

Bad chemistry doesn't exist everywhere.

I also have had an awesome experience in my unit...Especially after the water sensor "broke" and then it all began to work correctly.

I WANT TO SEE THOSE PICTURES.

I'm modifying mine with a florescent white until the LEDs are really needed...and I want pictures taken under the white light.

I'm a new grower with a phototron tall, it's been good to me thus far. Will be on the look out for some of the issues posted on the thread and will let you all know.

Welcome.

I was just like you back in November. Attached is my second grow from clone:
IMG_015916.JPG

Without clicking the link, I know which woman you are referring to. She's definitely hot; but, she could just be a booth babe. I doubt it though. In the non-professional modeling world, she's definitely a 10 on the sexiness scale.

She reminds me of my wife. :)

It wouldn't be that hard to build a similar system, but skip the auto watering. It is pretty easy to keep up with an aeroponic grow system. Top up every few days, flush and renew ever 10-14.

Build it out of wood even, unless you want it clear for some reason, then plexiglass. Have a small cannister of CO2 time released. Oxygen cannister to release inside of the water. Your pump and tubes to water or mist the roots on a timer.

I am going to run a fish tank bubbler in the water, and pure oxygen tube with many holes running through the roots, or perhaps in the water, or both.

It wouldn't be that hard to build a similar system, but skip the auto watering. It is pretty easy to keep up with an aeroponic grow system. Top up every few days, flush and renew ever 10-14.

Build it out of wood even, unless you want it clear for some reason, then plexiglass. Have a small cannister of CO2 time released. Oxygen cannister to release inside of the water. Your pump and tubes to water or mist the roots on a timer.

I am going to run a fish tank bubbler in the water, and pure oxygen tube with many holes running through the roots, or perhaps in the water, or both.

If all the legal challenges end with my being able to grow, I want to have a custom system built like you're talking about. My grow from June (above) ended with the G13 colliding with the lights all around it, getting burned, weak and infested with gnats. I ended up chucking the whole plant and starting over (dumb).

On the lighter side, I'm Steampunking my Phototron.

1128121643a.jpg

The control unit isn't worth a shit so I'm going to create a new one. Basically, I'm going to mod the hell out of it. Have fun with it while I'm growing something medicinal.

In one year, I've yielded just under 4 ounces with this beast...and in fact, it's the only 4 ounces I've *ever* yielded. So, while in hindsight I just would have custom built (had it done) my own beautiful grow cabinet...she's paid herself off pretty well so far. I'm thinking (at least right now) of just keeping a clone mother in there.

Back
Top Bottom