Pictures on when to harvest: Trichome colours

I thought I'd follow up by showing what the trichomes look like after curing 10 days.

I always pull off a bit of the lower part of the bud to reveal the interior.

Interior2.JPG
Interior3.JPG

Notice how the gland at the base of the cap turns dark.
Interior4.JPG

Here's a shot of the exterior of the bud. There's usually a lot of mechanical damage.
Cure10daysB.JPG

Hey Harvesters:
I'm at day 63 with Northern Lights Fem Autos, White Widow and Cheese (forgot which kind). I am getting lots of clear trichomes so harvest is probably two weeks off (I like an Indica buzz).
I have both a magnifying glass (mg) and jewelers loupe 30/60X lighted). The mg is a great way to do a quick overall examination of thrichomes. My mg has a little area with greater magnification. The loupe really magnifies strongly but is very difficult to use because the plants are moving in the wind. Then you have to cut to magnify carefully. My whole principle of growing is keep it simple. No nutes, no trimming, no cropping, loli-popping etc. However, I am 90% through my first grow but bow to the experience on these boards.
As far as the loupes, you don't really need one unless you magnifying glass does not have an insert on the lenses that increase the power. Then I think the 20X power is fine. That said, my screen name is Trichome9, so all u trick fans, examine late into the night - I have.

After reading the entire tread, I can say it has been extremely outstanding. I can see the use of the stronger magnification devices. I am 95% into a 4x4 tent grow (1st one). I am going to use the following process to harvest, dry and cure:
1. Harvest (Northern Lights, White Widow and Cheese) when the cloudy to amber trick ratio is about 50% (I like a more Indica high).
2. Bought another 4x4 tent for harvest trimming and drying. I constructed a simple bamboo matrix about with 9 inch squares and put it 3.25 feet from the ceiling (half way). This is to hang plants from. The longest plants area about 3.5 feet. I live in a very dry and hot climate so I have a humidifier in the drying tent to keep it at 40% humidity (don't want to dry to fast - about 4 to 9 days). Because of the dry climate I am harvesting the whole plant and hanging it in the dry tent. The leaves will fold around the buds and help slow down drying (and make my job harder in trimming).
3. After drying, buds are trimmed and put into one quart ball mason jars and burped and dried for up to 6 months (I will be lucky to make it 6 days as I need the med).
4. Long term storage in the mason jars in a locked filing cabinet.
Will keep this tread alive until I am done with the whole process through long term storage. I will work at getting some pictures of my set-up, which seems to be changing daily.

A little help again please.
My plants are getting pretty light burned.
I've tried tying them down, but they are either about to snap or pulling from the pot and I don't have that much tension on them.
Need some opinions on how much longer I need to wait before harvest.
I did the quick dry method on a B bud and only got a minor buzz, but it might now have been cured long enough.
DSC0033113.JPG

How's your air circulation? Looks a little heat stressed. Maybe try putting a fan pointed directly at the light so it blows that heat away?
If this is from the actual light and not just the heat, I have no advice. I think most would either raise their light or tie down the branches but that doesn't seem like an option for you.
A little help again please.
My plants are getting pretty light burned.
I've tried tying them down, but they are either about to snap or pulling from the pot and I don't have that much tension on them.
Need some opinions on how much longer I need to wait before harvest.
I did the quick dry method on a B bud and only got a minor buzz, but it might now have been cured long enough.
DSC0033113.JPG

Sent from my VS985 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks for the help everyone. This was my 1st grow in a long time. Never used LED's.
Waited to long to put them into flower and had to harvest them early in order to save the crop.
They are now curing and from sampling they should end up being pretty good.

Thanks for the help everyone. This was my 1st grow in a long time. Never used LED's.
Waited to long to put them into flower and had to harvest them early in order to save the crop.
They are now curing and from sampling they should end up being pretty good.

The buzz will get much better after a 3-4 week cure. Nice job :thumb:

What's the consensus on trichs with Indica dominate hybrids? I've got a Bianca thats 85% Indica 15% Sativa. I read somewhere that with Indica dominate hybrids it's best to harvest when they are entirely cloudy with little to no amber.

Thoughts?

It's highly unlikely that all the trics will cloud up with none turning amber. They go from clear to cloudy to amber, but never in unison. If you harvest with roughly 10% amber trics, there will still be many that are still clear.

We have used all organic and we are growing outside. In all the comments I haven't seen any comments if they are growing inside or outside. Our tri's are all cloudy with 1 percent light amber. We are going to harvest tonight. Is flushing also good for outdoor grows?

It's highly unlikely that all the trics will cloud up with none turning amber. They go from clear to cloudy to amber, but never in unison. If you harvest with roughly 10% amber trics, there will still be many that are still clear.
Uniform colur hapens usually with more of indica plants, but they have to be well bred and also grown in perfect conditions. Usually it doesn't happen, which means that when you already have amber popping and most are cloudy some will still be transparent. Also those ones below will be always behind, so your read of top colas doesn't show how advanced those underneath are.

I think all of these ladies are ready, but knowing which order and if to wait a bit more is driving me crazy.

Pineapple Chunk:

Pineapple_Crunch.jpg

Cotton Candy (one on right):

Cotton_Candy_right.jpg

Cotton Cany (one on left):

Cotton_Candy_left.jpg

Amnesia Lemon:

Amnesia_Lemon.jpg

Unknown (Tall):

X_tall.jpg

Unknown (less Tall):

X_less_tall.jpg

Any opinions welcome and hopefully this helps others as well.

Cheers,

Zafu

Back
Top Bottom