Pipe, Bong Salesman Gets Three Years In Prison

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A Gillette man was sentenced Thursday to three years in federal prison for selling pipes and bongs at his hippie-inspired head shops.

The sentence came more than two months after a federal jury convicted Jeffrey Wayne Doles of three felony counts of selling drug paraphernalia.

Two of the charges stemmed from selling pipes and bongs at his Gillette head shop, Hip Hop Hippies, while the third came from selling paraphernalia at a separate store in Casper.

The ruling, handed down by U.S. District Judge Clarence Brimmer, is the latest chapter in an ongoing legal battle over whether the pipes and bongs are in fact paraphernalia. Doles, 38, said he will appeal the conviction and is confident it will be overturned.

“I think my chances are 100 percent on winning on appeal,” he said.

Doles has argued that the pipes and bongs he sold were meant for smoking tobacco and legal herbs such as Merlin’s Blend, a commercial meditative herb often sold in smoke shops. He contends that it isn’t his fault that some people choose to use those products to smoke marijuana.

Over the years, the case has become a convoluted legal maze, with separate criminal trials in both federal and state court as well as a civil claim that was decided in state court. If there is an appeal, it will go before the U.S. 10th District Court of Appeals in Denver.

Police first raided the Gillette head shop in August 2005 and confiscated some 130 pipes and bongs. Doles was arrested two days later after reopening his store with an even larger shipment of smoking accessories.

A Campbell County jury found him not guilty in January 2006 of selling drug paraphernalia. Within days, Doles reopened his store in Gillette and in June of that year, he launched another head shop in Casper.

But the legal victory proved to be short-lived. State prosecutors won the right to destroy Doles’ hardware in a September 2006 civil proceeding in which District Judge Michael “Nick” Deegan ruled that the pipes and bongs were indeed drug paraphernalia. The Wyoming Supreme Court upheld that decision in August 2007.

Doles’ acquittal in state court was not at issue in the federal case. In fact, the defense wasn’t even allowed to mention the not-guilty verdict during the federal trial, an issue that likely will be the backbone of Doles’ appeal.

His attorney, Daniel Blythe, had argued that the federal charges constitute double jeopardy, or more than one prosecution for the same crime.

But in September Brimmer struck down this argument, citing a recent ruling by the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in the killing of an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper during a drug raid. The ruling said federal and state charges based on the same facts are not double jeopardy.

He also denied the defense’s argument that prosecutors violated the Petite policy, which says federal charges are not to be filed after a case has been resolved in state court. The judges in the Oklahoma case found that the policy was neither law nor precedent, only a guideline to help prosecutors decide how to use their resources.

Yet Doles disagrees, calling his federal trial a “bold and blatant” case of double jeopardy.

“Something’s wrong with the system more than something’s wrong with Jeffrey Doles,” he said. “It’s just a sick process.”

The head shop in Gillette first opened in July 2005 at 610 S. Butler Spaeth Road. Doles told The News-Record that before it was shut down, the business brought in about $6,000 a week.

More than 500 pipes and bongs were confiscated from the Gillette head shop during three separate raids, according to police inventory records. Officers also seized several hundred packages of rolling papers and other smoking accessories, police Sgt. Chuck Deaton said.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Gillette News-Record.
Author: TONY RAAP
Copyright: 2008 Gillette News-Record.

“Something’s wrong with the system more than something’s wrong with Jeffrey Doles,” he said. “It’s just a sick process.”

He's got that a 100% right.

I wonder if any of the attorneys have argued that on the logic of the courts then 'every other tradtional tobacco store that sells the old grand daddy wooden pipes like we are all familiar with i.e. sherlock holmes, should be prosecuted too for selling those pipes' it does'nt make sense then to charge anyone selling any type of pipe when it is impossible to know the mind set of the buyer......just like those who sell lamps and other indoor grow stuff...it is really an abuse of our judicial system....that's like saying the DA's office should charge all electricity company's with selling to aid in the grow of illegal substances indoors.....does anyone understand me????? If I could get the support of the nations movement and all the groups like NORML etc....to finance a campaign to run for Governor in CA,,,,let me know .....sincerely.....

So the cops are well stocked for the fall/winter season. Many mango seasons ago, I used to sometimes go to the cop auctions, where confiscated stuff was disposed of.
I wonder what will happen to all the merchandise if it is not returned to the owner?
I'm having a vision: 500 bidders get bongs, load and spark up there, and blow the entire establishment away in a cloud.

Double jeopardy allowed, not being able to present the facts to defend yourself. Going to jail for papers and pipes when are we going to stand up and stop this madness and unite to stop the FEDs from not respecting our rights as Americans? If the man was making 6k a week people wanted his products where is the problem? Are we all wrong and the FEDS are always right I say no they are out of control protecting corporate profits..Enslaving good free Americans in the process.

I do not understand anyone that is not able to see the connection.
This month McCain voted to give EXXON (the one with record profits due to gouging us) 13.5 billion of our hard earned money. While they (EXXON) contributed 1.4 million to his (McCain’s) campaign.
The same applies to the War on Drugs the major drug companies (the so called legal drugs that generate billions in profits)also the Liquor industry they contribute millions. To both republicans and democrats in the house and senate. So our representatives vote to keep this weed anyone could grow and solve many of the worlds ills illegal.
We now have a president and vice president candidates that admit to having used marijuana but they did not get arrested and have there lives ruined by the War on US they were lucky. But they could have, perhaps they will have some compassion on the ones that were not lucky. Those of us that enjoy a smoke and defy the laws that are stupid and put in place for the wrong reason. As well I feel they are illegal and deprive us our freedom of choice as Americans. If they (the candidates for our highest offices) did the same as you and I and tried marijuana and choose not to smoke (for political reasons) should we as Americans not have the same right without fear of having our lives ruined and put in jail??? Or on the other hand if they are admitted marijuana users should they not be put in jail for there CRIME to pay the debt they owe to society? They are admitted criminals even in Alaska it was against FED law. You cannot have it both ways LEGALIZE, REGULATE, TAX take the money saved and pay for universal health care for all!! Help the people not put them in jail for being Americans free Americans!

Back
Top Bottom