Pistil color changing question

God bud

well im in my 3-4 week flowering and i noticed the colas pistils started turning red on the tips and working there way down. i do not know if that should happen because they look skimpy compared to red hairs lower on the plant jsut wondering if thats a problem or just nature

It's normal -- they are drying out, which as you astutely noted, is occuring from the tips down.

Plants will grow new pistils until they are done with their growing in flowering, at which time they will focus on bud development. Well, really both of those things are actually happening at the same time, but that's a simple way of explaining the process. For example, lower branches will generally stop producing new pistils before the cola ramps off.

Well, I should say that I generally see that because I work really hard on having good side lighting, which helps to ripen up lower branches nicely. If you are using a single-point light, such as a gas discharge lamp, you may see a little bit of a difference in the pattern of when buds ripen and stop producing new pistils.

Don't forget that you can harvest branches that have fully-ripened buds before the cola if you'd like, as not all plants will develop at the exact same time. Most modern cannabis that has been breed for indoor use has been selected because it does ripen all at the same time, but this is not a 100% guarantee. Indeed, some sativa varities may need multiple harvests over a month to ensure that all buds, when cut, have had a chance to achieve their full potential. Do all growers do this? Of course not, but I personally have never seen the point in harvesting an entire plant if not all of its branches are ready. But, that's just me... ;)

By 7-8 weeks, you should see that more than half the pistils are orange, unless you are working with a pure sativa that needs longer. Modern cannabis breed for indoor use has been selected to ripen early, sometimes in as little as 6 to 7 weeks, but most needs about 8 weeks in my opinion, less is OK but generally if the trichomes are not at the right point, you should wait until they are, or you may miss out on maximizing the quality of your medicine.

:goodluck:

thanks and i do believe its a sativa/indica but not to sure the cola is frosty and beautiful but lower ones seem to be less frosty with slightly more red i mean still a good ways away from fully developed. just was not sure if i was killing the plant or not since i added more reflective surfaces should even out hopefully

thanks and i do believe its a sativa/indica but not to sure the cola is frosty and beautiful but lower ones seem to be less frosty with slightly more red i mean still a good ways away from fully developed. just was not sure if i was killing the plant or not since i added more reflective surfaces should even out hopefully

Hehehe no no, definitely not killing it... more reflection is best, you really can't have too much.

If you were killing it, you would see damage to the leaves most likely from a nutrient deficiency, or damage to the cola from having the light too close, etc...

Remember that the bud you buy is always full of orange hairs -- they always start white, but they always dry to an orange/red/brown color. That is normal.

:goodluck:

yeah but ive gotten some canadian bud that was all white looked like a christmas tree covered in snow jsut took some lower node samples letting then dry to test

Back
Top Bottom