Planning Commission Signs Off On Marijuana Grow

Katelyn Baker

The Astoria Planning Commission on Tuesday approved a conditional use permit for Astoria Indoor Garden Supply owner Oscar Nelson to grow marijuana and make soap inside his new location.

Nelson, also a partner in the dispensary chain Sweet Relief Natural Medicine, moved the store from downtown Astoria to 3,000 square feet he rents in construction contractor John Carriere's new building at 487-491 Marine Drive. His two-year conditional use permit for light manufacturing covers one-quarter of the space.

City Planner Nancy Ferber said the marijuana grown there would be for testing and not for distribution, releasing it from certain reviews by police and the Oregon Liquor Control Commission.

"The cannabis that will be growing will be medicinal, so myself and another person who has a medicinal license," Nelson said, adding his wife's soap and lotion business will likely go in another location.

Nelson said the space will be for research and development of equipment, and potentially for selling marijuana plant starts, if he can find a legal avenue. He is still awaiting approval from the state to grow marijuana in the space.

"I feel that this is going to have zero impact on the community," he said. "To the outside citizen, it's going to be business as usual. There's going to be no odor, no adverse traffic through there. It's just going to be, really, a space for me to play, to be quite frank."

Linda Stephens, who owns two houses above Carriere's building, said she doesn't want Nelson's grow operation in her backyard.

"I see it as a step for more activity than that property can maybe handle, parking-wise," she added.

In his rebuttal, Nelson said he wants the building to be a good business environment. Turning to Stephens, who he later gave a business card to, Nelson said he would address any issues.

Planning commissioners commiserated with Stephens over her concerns of a marijuana-growing operation so close to a residential zone, but said Nelson's application met the criteria for a general commercial zone.

Commissioner Sean Fitzpatrick said he owned a property adjacent to the garden store's previous location, under which Nelson grew marijuana, and didn't see any effects on the use of his property.

"There's just really no way we can say 'no,'" said Commissioner Jan Mitchell. "They complied with the requirements staff has given. You know, if it becomes a problem, then, I would have the right to comment on that ... and ask for a change. But it seems to be legal."

edwardStratton.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Planning Commission Signs Off On Marijuana Grow
Author: Edward Stratton
Photo Credit: Edward Stratton

Back
Top Bottom