Plant & light placement during flower?

S0AR3R

420 Member
Hi, this is my first grow im looking to hear what you guys all do during flower with your plants. im worried im not utilizing my room and light properly. my set up is...
4x4x7 tent
810w htg led grow light (for a 4x4 maybe even larger tent)
I got the light about 15 inches from my tallest plant and 22 inches from my shortest clone
I use a phone par meter it about 1500 ppfd in the middle of the room
my led light cannot be dimmed
I got 2 small clones I just sent into flower along side two pretty big plant I veg'd from seed for 12 weeks
all plants are blue dream they are now 1 week and 1 day into flower

like i said its my first grow so i got nothing to compare too but i feel things have been very slow growth wise so just want to make sure my light and plants are in the best position with the light and 4x4 area. my questions are...
Are my mothers and clones in the best position? should i raise the clones closer to light so there at the same height as the mothers?
and do grow lights lose light expansion as they go down? seems like the closer i go down with the light the more the sides of the tent get darker?

thanks for help!

IMG_0611[1].JPG

I would definitely raise up the smaller ones so they're all at the same level, just cleaner that way. 15" should be fine. What do the manufacturers instructions say? I run my LED's about 12-18 inches from the plants when in flower, higher in veg. That light has a 500W+ draw, it should have plenty of light for that space. All you can do is try it and see how it works. Though you can't see color in the pics, they look pretty darn nice.

I would definitely raise up the smaller ones so they're all at the same level, just cleaner that way. 15" should be fine. What do the manufacturers instructions say? I run my LED's about 12-18 inches from the plants when in flower, higher in veg. That light has a 500W+ draw, it should have plenty of light for that space. All you can do is try it and see how it works. Though you can't see color in the pics, they look pretty darn nice.
only thing they say on the light is to keep it 24in above the canopy i did that in veg but moved it down in flower. ill move the clones up and keep the light where it is at. thank you!

only thing they say on the light is to keep it 24in above the canopy i did that in veg but moved it down in flower. ill move the clones up and keep the light where it is at. thank you!
Mine says 32” in veg, 24” in flower, it’s a guideline (lol). As long as you don’t see any light stress (bleaching of the top growth). You should be ok, but I do believe that depending on the angle of the individual leds, you may lose some light footprint when you drop them down.

810w htg led grow light (for a 4x4 maybe even larger tent)
Nice looking plants.

That sounds like their 9 pod fixture and each pod is listed at 90 watts. Most likely each pod is drawing about 48 or 49 watts at the wall including what is needed for the cooling fans. I have a couple of their 3 pod fixtures and a couple of the single pods and an electrician buddy tested mine several years ago so I could know the draw.

Mine says 32” in veg, 24” in flower, it’s a guideline (lol). As long as you don’t see any light stress (bleaching of the top growth).
I do not remember any info on best height in the paperwork in the carton when I was buying my fixtures but the store manager recommend 18 to 24 inches as being the preferred distance that customers have mentioned if my memory is still any good.;) It took some experimenting but the tops of the plants have to be within in inch or two of the pod lens to get any real noticeable burn on the leaves. That is one of the selling points for LED lighting. It is up to the grower to experiment with this.

All of my lights are mounted right to the ceiling supports of the flowering tent so they are all at the same height from the floor. The plants are on buckets or shelves or whatever we would want to call them. I raise individual plants till the tops of the canopies are all the same distance from the light and then lower individual plants down as the stretch takes place. The lights are about 15 inches above the top of the canopy.

My flowering tent is 55"X55"X76". I have a combination of those pod fixtures and the T5 HO fixtures running LED tubes (not the less expensive fluorescent bulbs).

Check the pods every now and then, about once or twice a year to be sure that all the Light Emitting Diodes are still working. Sometimes one or two will burn out or start to go dim and the rest of the pod still works. Their warranty is 2 years so keep that in mind. I had two pods start to go within the warranty time and jumped to be sure to make the deadline. They replaced the pods with the latest version while I waited. Now I have pods that are 4 years old and a couple that are between 2 and 3 years.

The newer pods are more 'full spectrum' and a lot less purple.

and do grow lights lose light expansion as they go down? seems like the closer i go down with the light the more the sides of the tent get darker?
The "footprint" that Phytoplankton mentions. Play around with it and what you think is the best distance. If you think that the sides or corners are not getting enough light you could consider adding some T5 fixtures or some sort of light strip.

Back
Top Bottom