Plant staying squat

alixbd

Hi guys. So I'm a first-time grower growing white widow from a seed bank in a phototron. Here's a list of what I'm using:

Medium: sphagnum moss
Lighting: vertical CFLx6 (26,000 lumens) + 4000 lumen CFL above
Nutes: Was using nutes that came with phototron. Switching to dynagro Grow
CO2: Milk jug yeast contraption
Water: usually ever 3-4 days (just wait till top layer is dry). Using nutrient mix every other watering.
Ventilation: Phototron apparently has good ventilation regardless, but also installed a computer fan in one side panel
pH: On last measure yesterday was around 6.5 (using color meter, not digital)
Temp: Pretty consistent around 70-75

Hope that's enough info? Let me know if you need more.

Anyway, I am now at week 3 since seedlings popped through the soil, and my plant has barely grown in height at all. It's still around 4-5 inches tall. There are lots of nodes and leaves (see pics), but it's just not growing up. Any suggestions? Add more intense light at the top? Is this even an issue?

Thanks for any help. Pics included. First one is 2nd week. Second two are today. One to show height, one to show leaf health.
image67.jpeg
image210.jpeg

image3103.JPG

I don't think you have much to worry about. If you're seeing new leaves, nodes and so on, then its growing up too. I would give it another few days and be aware that fluorescent lighting isn't going to make them take off like a big HID would. or at least not at low wattages. What watts are your lights at now?

Hey Elious thanks For the reply! I have 6 55 W CFL's plus I think a 30 W CFL on the top. So total around 350 W. I know that's definitely on the lower side, but I've heard that the phototron actually does a pretty darn good job. I guess we'll have to wait and see. New leaves and new nodes are coming out from everywhere, so I'm not too worried. I just wish it would grow taller so I could start topping a little easier :). Anyway, thanks again for the reply. I'll keep u guys updated :)

That's enough juice to grow them babies for sure. You're good man, just give them some time and enjoy the show :popcorn:

Fluorescents and CFLs are enough for veg, but less than ideal for flower.
You're just a few week into the grow so have patience, it will take off.

if you want the plant to grow taller faster you can move up the light so the plant will have to reach for it and in doing so it will grow taller. The downside of this is that the space between the nodes increases, resulting in less bud sites once the plant has reached maturity. I would not recommend this, though. but you can play with that and see what works for you.

I also think that you might be mistaken regarding the CFLs that you're using. Light bulbs have 2 wattage ratings, what they consume (energy they use) and what they put out. The latter is the important one. A 20w CFL will have a 100w output. You may be aware of this and maybe the rating you have are correct, but it might be worth to find out for sure how much light your bulbs put out.

Don't top the plant too soon.

Good luck and happy growing!

Back
Top Bottom