Plastic tote grow box

Obnick

420 Member
Hey I’m new to this site and was jw if my grow box is addiquite enough to grow at least 2 plants I’m using a Rubbermaid dark blue tote lined the inside with foil and I ran 3 light sockets in the lid each with a splitter and each splitter has 2 24 watt daylight cfls and all I did for air flow was cut a whole on each side and place a fan blowing in and one blowing out

Attachments

• CC12E93A-7889-44EC-BA3D-A6ECF16CF48E.jpeg
    CC12E93A-7889-44EC-BA3D-A6ECF16CF48E.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 102
  • 98676F3B-9D04-4EBC-B82F-328FEFB85645.jpeg
    98676F3B-9D04-4EBC-B82F-328FEFB85645.jpeg
    821.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 2DDB1C59-3D6A-4392-95DA-2C11449DE679.jpeg
    2DDB1C59-3D6A-4392-95DA-2C11449DE679.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 102
  • 1D6BABDD-5452-4297-890E-DD74D084BAE8.jpeg
    1D6BABDD-5452-4297-890E-DD74D084BAE8.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 745CA73E-565C-4BC0-B3DD-D7660A86D86B.jpeg
    745CA73E-565C-4BC0-B3DD-D7660A86D86B.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 120
Ps also I have updated it since those pics but all I really did was line it with more foil as to not just make it a glow box

Hi obnick,

Welcome to 420!

First please understand - I don’t want to discourage you.

The answer is most likely no, but it depends. The tub is not big enough for one plant. Unless you are extremely lucky or are already an experienced gardener wanting to learn micro grows. I grow one plant using 5 gallons of soil and plenty of headspace, lights and fresh air.

Generally speaking an organism cannot grow beyond the potential of its environment. You can put 6 goldfish in a 10 gallon aquarium and they will be fine but if you put one baby trout inside an identical 10 gallon aquarium the baby trout will never get bigger than a goldfish. It doesn’t have room to grow.

Plus you have not 1 but 2 plants in a tiny environment which cuts the potential by another 50%. So no, it’s not looking good. There Is nothing wrong with low budget but certain things can’t be compromised. Can a man live in a phone booth? Sure but not for long. You may grow tiny bit of leaf but don’t think you will ever see single bud

However there are folks on here that do this very sort of thing. It’s called micro grow. They have plants in pc tower cabinets, space buckets and cardboard boxes. If you plug into these type people then yeah you might have a chance.

Good luck, start a grow journal & we can follow your grow.

The fact that you are asking if your tote is big enough to grow NOT 1..... BUT 2 plants means perhaps you don’t understand the concepts. Can it be done - yes it can. Can a newbie grower pull it off - most likely not, there are better odds for snowballs in hell.

The tips were all there but you didn’t tune into them. Split them up, use 2 totes... one for each plant, get better airflow, find other micro growers on here.

Not trying to discourage you at all. What I was politely trying to say is - can you get a bigger space?

I hope it works out for you!

This definitely isn't my preferred way to grow, plants do better with space and airflow, even if you want to keep them small. I agree one plant is the most that will be healthy in that space. A while back I built a similar small area to grow in while waiting for a tent to come. I used a plastic storage cabinet that was a little bit bigger than yours and had doors on it. If you're set on doing the small grow then I would at least look into possibly getting something like this, I do believe you can find similar things for cheaper, I paid about $35 for mine. You usually find them under "Garage Cabinets" or "Garage storage"

1590762296042.png

Lose the foil. Bright flat (or eggshell, if you want to be able to clean it) white paint, those $2 "emergency blanket" mylar things they sell in department store sporting goods / camping aisles, the dull side of white posterboard, etc. are all going to be better.

CFLs - like most light bulbs - produce the vast majority of their light from the side of the bulb, not the top and obviously not the base. Try to orient them horizontally. Aim for at least 30 watts per square foot during the vegetative growth phase, and at least 50 watts per square foot during the flowering phase. More would be better.

They're not the best things in the world, but you can make decent CFL reflectors out of soda pop / beer / etc. cans. Cut most of the way around the top, most of the way around the bottom, then cut a vertical line between one and the other. Then, open them up. Cut away from the top in such a way that it fits snugly to the base of the CFL bulb. You can even get fancy and create a "restrike bend" above the bulb, by putting a straight crease in the material, exactly opposite your vertical cut line.

And remember, CFL bulbs produce heat, too.

Back
Top Bottom