Please Advise! 12/12 lighting - disruption?

Piggle

Hi!

Please help - a friend has a hydro system in flower. She has just discovered that her partner has been switching an electric bulb (regular energy saving compact fluorescent bulb) on for literally only a few minutes each day to whilst nipping in room to take something out. Friend has gone ballistic saying that these few minutes disruption per day is the reason for slow progress in flowering. Is this right?? Please help - she is going nuts! :(

If its nomore then 5mins it should be ok.

you should be alright, my very first plant experienced pretty much the exact same thing, (she was bagseed even) and grew into a monster female with not a single sign of hermie :)

i wouldnt say keep doing it, but, dont stress too much.. it shouldnt casue slow flowering...

if this "friend" is using CFL, that could be the issue. cfl normally add a week or two to the flowering process.

Sorry, i have to disagree. I think even 1 minute of direct light is enough to stall flowering and even cost yoou some weight in the end. Maybe some experienced growers { who post journals } can chime in?

Interrupting the light cycle can cause hemies and stress the bloom of your plants. Just use a green light bulb for entering the room when light is out. Plants can not absorb green light but try to keep it to a minimum and do what you have to with your grow light on.

:goodluck:
Flip

Sorry, i have to disagree. I think even 1 minute of direct light is enough to stall flowering and even cost yoou some weight in the end. Maybe some experienced growers { who post journals } can chime in?

just becasue someone doesnt have grow journals on this site, doesnt make them any less experienced. i can recall one person i knew in a past life, that had been growing for 4 decades, and never once even thought about posting anything online. infact. he doesnt even have an internet connection.

all i was stating, is in my experience when i did my first plant(many many ago), and happened to do the same thing, almost to a T, it didnt harm it.

all strains are different, and like i said, i dont advise this person to keep doing it, however, in the end, whats done is done, and dont stress about it. whatever damage (if any) is already done and there is nothing you can do about it other than stop doing it in the future.

i do something similar for totally different reasons. when the plant is in flwr and showing flower signs. i let low light in for up to an hr for two or three days. this causes the plant to produce pollen but just a bit! the pollen is of all female variety! ive done this many times and had no problems with hermies when growing the seeds i made. my last grow was all female! 100%
there are many different ways to propergate the cannabis plant. not one of them is wrong, well they will usually grow a plant but the quality will be lacking and the plant will never look healthy.
light during the flwr stage is bad, unless you plan for it! the low light i give the plants is deliberate and the result is fantastic! no chemicles to get the female seed! very cool!

i do something similar for totally different reasons. when the plant is in flwr and showing flower signs. i let low light in for up to an hr for two or three days. this causes the plant to produce pollen but just a bit! the pollen is of all female variety! ive done this many times and had no problems with hermies when growing the seeds i made. my last grow was all female! 100%
there are many different ways to propergate the cannabis plant. not one of them is wrong, well they will usually grow a plant but the quality will be lacking and the plant will never look healthy.
light during the flwr stage is bad, unless you plan for it! the low light i give the plants is deliberate and the result is fantastic! no chemicles to get the female seed! very cool!

thats becasue its stressing it enough to hermi, if it works for you and you are happy with the outcome, great.

Yea i wouldnt want any light on them especially DIRECT light. Disruption of the dark period will cause stress n confusion in the Plant so i would keep any disrutpion to a bare minimum. But think about this, when growing outdoors, it is not totally dark at night due tO the stars n moon and this doesnt ruin a crop. Hmmmm..

just becasue someone doesnt have grow journals on this site, doesnt make them any less experienced. i can recall one person i knew in a past life, that had been growing for 4 decades, and never once even thought about posting anything online. infact. he doesnt even have an internet connection.

all i was stating, is in my experience when i did my first plant(many many ago), and happened to do the same thing, almost to a T, it didnt harm it.

all strains are different, and like i said, i dont advise this person to keep doing it, however, in the end, whats done is done, and dont stress about it. whatever damage (if any) is already done and there is nothing you can do about it other than stop doing it in the future.

i wasn't talkin about you, nibec. i was talking about me. and peolple would trust the advice of what they can see is an experienced grower more than they would mine .:peace:

i wasn't talkin about you, nibec. i was talking about me. and peolple would trust the advice of what they can see is an experienced grower more than they would mine .:peace:

fair enough, i didnt take offence or anything, no matter how many grows you do, you always learn new stuff :) so i will always consider myself a noob :)

here is the thing, tell whomever to stay the hell out of the room till the lights come on!!!! Otherwise, while they choose to sleep place a strobe light in their sleeping area and turn it on randomly. Then ask them how the slept the next morning? i think they will speak the truth at that point, enjoy!!! lol.

lol@Darrrr! :D

thank you all for your varied replies - input very much appreciated! They'll just have to keep going for a couple extra weeks until the chop. As it stands, for about the 3rd time whilst in flower they were denied water/food for 24 hours after somebody neglected to put the timer back on after a water change :yikes: (not the original offender) so they are on equals regarding stressing the poor buggers.. some emergency treatment and six hours later then they looked as right as rain, but the 'weed' we care for is not so much a 'weed' any more as a pampered highly bred and messed with pedigree... :rollingeyes:

:Namaste:

lol, lots of good advice here.

just dont worry too much, watch for male balls, and stop interupting it from here forth, and you'll make it through.

out in the real world
plants get light at night! even out where theres no power. go figure!
in my garden i like to mimic mother nature. does the moon ever shine at night?
well where i live it does. the procedure i use to make female seeds doesnt produce hermies! the same procedure by someone not knowing what they are doing does cause hermies. thats why they buy their female seeds. then talk bad of others because they can not mimic the process! the process is so slight there is little to no stress to the plant. i have never seen the plant show signs of stress in this process. the pollen produced is ever so slight. maybe up to 5 locations and each location produces maybe 3 balls.
you have to keep an open mind, others think they know all and do all so perfectly, its tough for them to see other ways. the light mine recieve is closely related to the moon and its output.
there are so many different ways to grow cannabis, none of them r wrong unless you have problems with the plants output.
i encourage anyone to do what ive done, research first and then perfect the procedure.
female seeds are mostly made with chemicals, i dont do chemicals. the procedure i spoke of earlier has not produced one hermi. hermies are usually caused from light getting in at the wrong times and a lot of it! there are also gennetic reasons to. the end result always comes down to the gennetics, care and neuts., then light output.
id put these gennetics up against anything out there. i do beleive they are of some outstanding gennetics. you have to start with good to get good! no other way around it!
bag seed is for practice.
learn to grow then play with what you know. youll find very interesting qualities from strain to strain. i always make pollen and its not easy to do with no pollutants.
try and try again! when she dies learn and try again!
peace

Back
Top Bottom