Please Welcome Our Newest Sponsor: AKA Tommy Chong!

Founder
a/k/a Tommy Chong chronicles the entrapment and incarceration of comedy icon Tommy Chong of the legendary comedy duo, Cheech and Chong. Josh Gilbert takes on the event in his documentary, and offers a sometimes frightening, often hilarious account of Operation Pipe Dreams, a nationwide drug paraphernalia sting spearheaded by a federal prosecutor named Mary Beth Buchanan, appointed by George Bush three short days after the attacks of 9/11.

After fully armed SWAT teams raided the comedian's home and his business, Chong Glass, Chong was sentenced to 9 months in federal prison for "conspiracy to manufacture and distribute drug paraphernalia through his family business, specializing in handmade glass water pipes, or "bongs". Of the 55 defendants prosecuted, Tommy Chong of Cheech and Chong was the only one with no prior convictions to receive jail time. Justifying the sentence, George Bush's appointee, Mary Beth Buchanan cited the classic Cheech and Chong comedy Up In Smoke as evidence that Tommy Chong had become wealthy "trivializing law enforcement efforts to combat marijuana trafficking and use." As Roger Ebert said after viewing the film, "You do not have to approve of drugs to be offended."

The film provides a charming portrait of a counter culture icon set against the backdrop of a War on Drugs gone horribly awry.

a/k/a Tommy Chong - A film by Josh Gilbert

Re: Please Welcome Our Newest Sponsor - AKA Tommy Chong!

Great film, very informative. Tommy's attitude is amazing.

The film got me so interested in the case that I picked up Tommy's book about it ("Meditations from the Joint") which is also really good.

i am disgusted at myself and others for still allowing a handful of fraudulant politicans know whats best for us---somehow,,,maybe there will be a night in shinney armour who will put up the $$$$$$$$--and get it back to WE THE PEOPLE---NOT WE KNOW WHATS BEST FOR YOU,,,,(my dander is on the go)
f,g,s,,,aka,,,informan,,,ohio,,,peace:peace:

judi,,,U might check with amazon or other book outlets,,,,be active if you have the time this coming 2009----write whom-ever---for whatever reason,,,but its important to be active,,for we cannot allow these few people dictate to the majority because of their ignorance,,,or what ever reason,,,,f.g.s.,,,aka,,,infoman,,,,ohio,,,,peace

Back
Top Bottom