poking holes in the air tube?

p604

so you can buy a stone for 5 bucks.. but what about if you just got the air hose.. cap off the end.. glue it around the bottom of the bucket.. and poke a hole about ever couple inches.. has anyone tried this or your thoughts of the idea??

One of the benefits claimed for air stones is the size of the bubble that they produce. Air exchange with water happens at the "surface" between the two. Lots of small bubbles produce lots of surface area for absorption.

The second benefit is the "flooming" effect of the air stones. By releasing air under water - they produce a "flow" around the bucket that helps to exchange air as well.

By drilling several large holes, several inches apart, you will be defeating these two purposes. With that said, I won't criticize your plan. People have grown successfully without air stones - so the little bit of aeration and movement that you supply will undoubtedly help.

You can make things better by drilling as small of a hole as you can... as close as you can. I would then glue the hose in a circle in the center of the bucket... and not along the edge. These changes should help to produce more air bubbles and better water movement.

In my opinoin, there are probably better areas where you can save some money.

Well, your bubbles are going to be really big, meaning your H2O won't get very oxygenated. Me? It's not worth the loss in yield just to save $5, man.

yeah just an idea i had.. but for the time i spend on glueing.. poking holes.. testing.. would take a while.. so a 5 dollar stick is way quicker and cheaper.. Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom