Police Raid Medical Marijuana Growing Operation

Jacob Bell

COMMERCE TOWNSHIP - News that an Oakland County Narcotics Enforcement Team raided a Commerce Township medical marijuana facility Wednesday has defense attorney Neil Rockind boiling mad.

"Law enforcement does the damnedest things and they keep doing it," said Rockind.

"I'm beyond outraged," said Rockind, whose client owns the facility on Welch Road. "I'm sick of the way police are treating caregivers and patients and I'm tired of how police are stepping on the law."

Rockind did not name his client.

The raid, which started after 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, was at a co-op grow operation, according to Major Robert Smith of the Oakland County Sheriff's Office.

"We are investigating whether they were in violation of the state's medical marijuana statute," Smith said. "At this time no arrests have been made and no charges have been filed.

Smith said that the officers took 500 marijuana plants from the building.

Rick Thompson, editor of Oak Park-based Michigan Medical Marijuana Magazine, said he spoke with eyewitnesses who said officers had been on the scene since midnight.

"They cleaned the place out," he said.

Rockind compared the facility to an apartment building where each tenant has his own lock and entrance.

He said there were two buildings with 17 rooms each. The rooms were locked facilities where patients and caregivers grew plants.

"They weren't drying, curing, sharing or using marijuana there," he said. "This was not a collective grow. It was where they kept plants."

Large signs were posted throughout saying, "Restricted Area, Do not enter under penalty of law."

"Only the (tenant) had access using a code," he said.

Colin Daniels, an attorney with Rockind's firm, was present during the raid.

"People are calling here today asking, 'How am I going to get my medicine?'" said Daniels. Michigan voters approved the Medical Marihuana Act in 2008.

Rockind said the people who used the facility thought they were doing it the "right way" instead of growing marijuana in homes or basements.

Rockind said he will take the matter to court but said because the case was so new, he did not have details.

"I'm putting police on notice that this has got to stop," he said.

abb13.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: themorningsun.com
Author: Carol Hopkins
Copyright: The Morning Sun

I was thinking about growing there. Glad I didn't.
I can't f-ing take it, even when you try to do what the law says "plants to be grown in an enclosed, locked area" .
It sure sounds like I am never going to grow legally,outside of the house. Wife refuses my growing at home (doesn't want any reason for us to be raided ((me either )) ) even though I posses my mmj card.
The police need to be reigned in, and not just in Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom